My Question: Why are there so few women speakers in apologetics? And do you think this is changing?

Hi everyone,
I have been pondering this question for a while now and am interested in your thoughts. Why do you think women are drawn to apologetics study and yet are not so excited about speaking? I realise there is a growing body of women apologists especially in RZIM, however, no matter where in the world an apologetics conference is held it is usual for the line up of speakers to mostly be male. Is this because it is a relatively new option in Christian study for women? Is it that many women and men still follow the rule that women shouldn’t teach men? Or is it simply that women are only now realising that their children are struggling in the anti-Christian climate we now live in, in the west, a culture that is far less tolerant of the Christian worldview than 15 years ago? Or is there something else?
I’m looking forward to your thoughts! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi! I don’t think I have an answer but I would like to comment on this. After several years now of being a student of RZIM from home, I continually tell the Lord, if I could do education all over again, I’d major in English and pursue steps to be a Christian apologist. I am a stay at home mom now and just didn’t have this thinking 10 years ago. I didn’t even know what RZIM was. I find myself battling I’m myself and wondering if I’ll get to step into this passion God has given me for apologetics. I love taking what I’ve learned and discussing it with my unbelieving siblings. I know apologetics isn’t just a career but a lifestyle. So I honor that in my own sphere of influence and hope one day God allows me to do more with this passion. Blessings!

2 Likes

Hi Lucy! I love your reply. My degree is in librarianship and I too believe if I had my time again i would go straight to a theological or apologetic degree. Although maybe not. By God’s grace I have learned so much through my time working in libraries at the coal face of the community. I doubt I would have the skills I have today without having had to go the ‘secular’ route. I struggled with where I was for a long time knowing I was called for something else. Fast forward 15 years and I am now working for an apologetics ministry here in New Zealand. I’m still pinching myself. So hold tight. God has you exactly where he wants you. You are already stepping into apologetics and building your skills without having to give up your primary call as a wife and mother. Very exciting!!

1 Like

First off, I don’t want to pretend I have thought about this issue as much as you have. I understand when I have put much thought into something only to get answers from other people who end up only having an idea of the basics I had already considered but realized the issue I was considering is far more complex than others realize. So take this response with a grain of salt.

It is not conclusive to me that Paul was only talking about one specific church regarding women not to be in authority over men. This idea goes back to Genesis. There is a lot of talk about how these teachings of order in the church and the family are “old fashioned.” Perhaps they are but I sincearly believe we Christians should be living as though we are in the first century. So many problems come up regarding whether we as Christians should adapt our understanding of the Bible viewed through the lens of our culture today in how different our culture is to the culture on the first century. One needs to ask if the first century church was… how do I put it… Closer to the Christian ideal than today. The way the church operated in Acts is much better than how it operates today IMO. Why? Because the people then were more committed to looking like Christ then caring about the world’s standards of morality. When I think about how people interpret the Bible saying, “The people then didn’t care about social justice” I think comes across as naive. Jesus saved a prostitutes life under the condition that she repented. That is an act of social justice if I ever saw one. Do not condemn but instead lead with love giving the message of repentance. This is the kind of social justice Jesus sets as an example. I am worried about the integrity of scripture when we take what we want from the Bible as long as it is socially acceptable by the culture we live in. Some churches even go so far as to condone homosexuality to the point that they have a practising homosexual as a head pastor. The question, naturally, is where do we draw the line?

Thank you! That was very encouraging for me to read!! I love that you’re now working with an apologetics ministry- how wonderful!! I know God wastes nothing and it will all be used for His glory :heartpulse: