My Question: Why is God silent?

Hi everyone,
How would you answer fellow believers whose faith is shaken because they feel that God is silent on them. They have been seeking God about important aspects of their lives, about pertinent issues but haven’t gotten a response. Now they question whether God is really there and if He is, then doesn’t He care enough to answer? Why is He silent?

12 Likes

Amy, in life, we face difficult challenges, and often times, it feels like God is a million miles away. Yes, it feels like that sometimes, and yes, there are times when God is indeed silence. But I believe that for the most part, it’s not that God is silence, its sometimes that God is speaking, but we are either not hearing or listening.

I find that as I spend more time in quite prayer, in God’s word and meditation, I hear God clearer and more often.

I also realize that we must be open to His will. His will is not always a “yes”, but whatever it is, its ALWAYS for our good. When pur heart is slanted towards God’s will for our lives, its easier to hear His voice.

Also, our lives are often so cluttered with busyness which makes it almost impossible to sit quietly in prayer and worship. This makes it difficult to hear God’s voice.
I pray that God will continually grant us grace to wait on Him.

13 Likes

@A.A Great question :slight_smile: I can relate to your friend. There are times in my life when I cried out in prayer and wished more than anything God would make it clear to me what I needed to do or that He was there, but there was no immediate response. But over time, as I walked with God, I came to realize that it was not that God was not willing to provide guidance, but that I had been seeking guidance in the wrong way.

God does not promise to give us a voice or a vision or a miracle, but God does promise to make us His children, fill us with His Spirit and give us wisdom when we ask for it and seek it through His Word, His Church (godly people in our lives) and by applying wisdom to our life circumstances. Below are some related threads you may find helpful in responding to your friend. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi Amy,

I understand this questioning because I’m going through this situation for many years and God silent on me. It has been years and years praying and suffering the cause until the moment I gave up of praying. It’s really painful. I don’t pray for anything because I don’t think God responds to our tears. The only thing I do each day is just thank God for having home and health.

They were 8 years of praying and suffering this cause but now I confess I don’t believe that God really care about me. When we’ve shed so many tears praying to God, there’s nothing that can help us in this situation. Only the God’s answer. It’s almost the same thing that happened to Jacob. His heart calmed down when he saw his son Joseph alive.

I did everything I could but now I’m exhausted. My faith in God is limited only in salvation in Christ.

5 Likes

Hi @A.A,
I find this question close to my heart. I had long periods of Gods silence. Sometimes years, sometimes decades.
During these painfully quite distant times.
I question why so quite?
Why does it feel like my prayers are bouncing off the walls or falling on deaf ears.
During these times I sense the Lord taking me back to when I first surrendered to the Lord and turned my life over to God. Reminding me oh so gently I am real remember what I revealed to you the visions I showed you for a time such as this. Where you will question is God real does he even exist?
Then it’s like he shows me those wilderness moments.
It’s then that I see where the Lord carried me through the wilderness because I was too weak and tired to take another step. He sheltered me from the burning sun. He quenched my parched lips.
I have over my 69 years on this planet as a visitor and sojourner because our home is not of this world.
That God does not always need to answer. That when I look back he has already answered through my reading of his word. Through a sermon, or through a friend speaking into my life. I was just not listening because I was too busy crying out to the Lord for guidance or direction.
There are also times where in my heart I wanted a certain answer and had actually figured out the answer I wanted to hear.
During those times the Lord will be silent because I want the Lord to give me my answer not willing to listen to his answer.
I am continually reminded I think by the Lord that his thoughts are not our thoughts his ways are not our ways.
The Lord showed me visions and those visions even if over 40 years ago. Has helped and reminded me that the Lord is real and very much a part of my life.
I don’t always hear because I am too busy crying out.
I don’t always hear because I don’t want to hear his answer.
I don’t always hear because deep down in my soul I already know the answer just don’t want to hear it.
I have discovered in my journey that whether the Lord answers me or not.
I put my trust and faith in the Lord.
Because at the end of the day when your life on earth is no more and you stand before the Lord was the question really that important.
Not sure this is helpful or just the rambling if an old man who walked 40 years in the dessert thinking the Lord was silent. Only to look back and see he carried this battered bruised wisp of a human through trials and temptations I did not have the strength to go through on my own.
God bless you and I pray you find the answers you seek for your friend. God is faithful and will reveal them to you.

6 Likes

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for whatever it is you are having to endure. I am lifting you up in prayer. Sometimes, our pain is so intense, we need someone to pray on our behalf.

5 Likes

I really need this support in this moment. The desert is the toughest test someone can pass through in its life. It’s hard but in the same time I can say that I could see the hand of God ever present all these years.
Thank you very much for your comprehension and prayers. God bless you a lot!

7 Likes

@karina.kams Sister in Christ. I don’t know what you are going through but I am happy to lift you up in prayer to our Father.
Never give up and journey through… I have been on my wilderness journies before. Even though the track may be long and difficult, there is always hope.
Will be praying for you in my daily prayers.

6 Likes

@karina.kams
Karina, please don’t harden your heart towards Jesus. It not Christianese to say that He died for you and for me. He did and He suffered so badly because he loves you and me. Now please, before you hang me up, please read on.

Who am I? I’m a person that does not understand because I’m not you Karina. But I am a guy that went through 11 years of darkness. It was the dark night of the soul. Please bear with me as I succinctly tell you my story. (But it will be long!)

I loved Jesus but a time came when I felt that Jesus wanted to take me deeper. I knew something big was going to happen. I confessed it in my church many times. At the time, I was a runner - way before it was in vogue. My legs were me as I was almost hyperactive. My confession, then included, even if I ended up in a wheelchair, it didn’t matter as all I wanted was more of Jesus.

After about a year and a half, the day arrived. I responded to a fire and a chimney collapsed and I was buried in the cinder block that broke up when it hit the footings that I was standing near. It crushed me and it killed me. The other firefighters tried to uncover my but it was still white hot. They had to start the truck up, fire up the pump, unroll the hoses as we were preparing to leave when the accident occurred. They uncovered me and took my body and laid me down in the dark as my arm was punctured by a 16 penny nail. The ambulance was called back and as the team wept, I began breathing but I was totally out of it.

My wife was told that I would not live, but if I did, I would be brain dead. Obviously I lived and I guess I’m not brain dead but sometimes I wonder…

As people came weeping to my bedside, I was not responsive for weeks. When I finally was, I told them not to cry because this was the answer to my prayer. The Lord was going to use this to draw me deeper into Him. Karina, I was stunned when, not only was I not drawn closer, I felt like He deserted me - that He went out the back door. I cried out to Him to at least touch me but silence. This went on for over a year when, on another occasion where I was in the hospital on a clinitron - which is a big airbed that has silicone as its substance so I could just lay, looking at the ceiling without getting bedsores.

In this state, I laid for weeks and I begged Jesus to please visit me. I knew there was no one else to turn to so I pleaded with Him to touch me in some way. All I heard was the ring of a silent hospital room. I never accused Jesus as to “Why me?” because, I thought, why not me, why someone else? But His silence was unacceptable. Finally, through my tears, I lashed out at Him and angrily told Him that I only wanted to serve Him more, why are You silent? Then I added, “You don’t know what it is like to be alone!!!”

I thought I had dreamed this up but it was the Holy Spirit within. Jesus was telling me ever so gently that He did know what it was like - and I could bore you with the detailed as to how He described everything from the disciples sleeping to alone on the cross with people cursing and accusing Him until He said, "I couldn’t stand it and I cried out - “Oh Father, why have you left me? Why have you forsaken me?” And He told me that the Father was weeping for Him as He was for me, but if the Father had grabbed Him and taken Him off from the cross, all of the suffering would have been for nothing and I wouldn’t know salvation.

So He told me that I had to carry on faithfully because if He picked me up from the bed and had me walk again (I was and am paralyzed from T-4 down) all of my suffering, all of my wife Nancy’s days and months by my bedside - it’d all be for nothing. I had to persevere or it’d all be for nothing.

I wish that I could say that was the end of the story but for 10 more years, i experienced the dark night of the soul. I read the Word, prayed, listened to talks - but nothing. It was all cold and He was dead silent. I knew He was the Truth and I would confess it but I said that I felt like I was holding onto a bumper of a car while I was dragged by it. I held on to Jesus because I knew that He was the Way, the Life and the Truth but He was also SILENT!

A sister in the Lord that I loved dearly who had been raped and beaten in the Belgium Congo rebellion had told me years before my accident that during her tragic trauma of evil, the Lord had only told her to thank Him - never for the evil done to her - but that she was to thank Him for the fact that He could trust her - that through all of this crap - all of this evil, that she would never understand why, but that He could trust her that she would not leave Him. Her words stained me and helped me to hold on tight for dear life when I felt nothing.

The sun didn’t suddenly pop up, but after 11 years, the dawn began to break. I have never understood why all of the years of silence. But He has gradually touched me but even in the last 11 years, the sun’s been down so much.

Many years ago, Francis Schaeffer wrote a book called, “He is There and He is Not Silent.” I remember thinking during my terribly dark years, “Oh yeah?”

Karina, I can only say to you what Dr Helen Roseveare told me so many years ago and that is that you know that He is the Truth and for some reason, He is trusting you with this situation. I don’t know what is going on in the heavenlies and didn’t ever see one good reason why He was so silent all of those years but I doubt that I ever will.

So many would give me Scriptures but He remained silent. Karina, you know that He is the Truth. Please hold on for dear life.

Know one knows what you are going through. We’d have to be you to understand. All I know is that Karina, He is trusting you and you will be stronger because you persevered when you run into His arms. Please, we can pray for you but you are the only one that can keep running until you fall into His arms. No one can do that for you. He is faithful.

14 Likes

@A.A, @karina.kams, I am praying that you will find the answers you need to be strengthened in faith toward God even when we experience His silence. I dont know if you have seen this very helpful response in Ask RZIM category by Michelle Tepper about this question. God bless you!

4 Likes

Beautiful :heart:

1 Like

I know I’m bit late in the game here, but I only just saw this question ~ which I really like, by the way. And I really get how frustrating and painful it is when it feels like God is silent. I went for many years not being able to hear from God, and wondering where He was ~ and feeling like He’d completely abandoned me.

It was only after years of studying the Bible, and reading it through from cover to cover several times over, that I began to understand that God promises to never leave us or forsake us. I also came to understand that God is never silent, because He has spoken to us through His Word, the Bible. We always have His promises to fall back on. Jesus says in Matthew 6,

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others … But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you … Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." ~ Matthew 6:6, 8, ESV.

The part of the passage that I want to emphasize is the last part of Verse 8: "…for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him."

So you see, if you can begin to rely on God’s Word as His Word to YOU, you can begin to accept the promises contained therein as promises made specifically to you, and not just to Christians generically. I believe that’s the way God wants us to view His Word. Viewing it that way has changed my life, and more importantly, has changed the way I understand and relate to God. And hopefully, God will no longer be silent for you, because even when He hasn’t answered your prayer with a specific answer, you’ll have the promise of an answer from His Word, and you’ll know that His Word says that God ALWAYS keeps His promises,

God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? ~ Numbers 23:19, NLT.

I hope this helps! I’ll be praying for you, that God reveals Himself to you in ways that you can understand, and that He reveals Himself to you specifically and especially in His Word, which is the most amazing and wonderful book ever written, bar none.

4 Likes

@Tim_Ramey I want to thank you for the time you separated to tell this real and beautiful story of your relationship with God. I really appreciate it.

They are beautiful and incredible words that show the mercy of God in your life. We have been chosen by him to live and accept his wonderful work in our lives.

I don’t understand why so many years of darkness in my life, but I hope I can get through this desert soon and be able to look back and appreciate all the God´s work in the process of my holiness. They are difficult times for me, but I know God is patient and he’s beside me.

With Christ we are strong enough to perseverate and see his light.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone who have raised prayers for me!!

This week I was thinking how great our God is. He provides different ways to know the family in Christ who can give us the support and share the love of Christ.

I’m sure Christ is working through my life in a powerful way to his will.

5 Likes

Katrina, don’t I know how miserable you are waiting in the dark. Anybody who says that it’s only because you are only depressed needs to go into that terribly dark place.

All I know is what you already know and that is, since Jesus is the Truth, we have no where else to turn. I couldn’t bear it, but Jesus’ way is so much different than our way and Katrina, I had a hard time when Scriptures were laid at my feet because I already knew them and so I felt guilty - what am I doing wrong? But Jesus knows our hearts and Katrina, as hard as it is, please stay faithful and He will shine again. You must be an incredible woman because most people in your place would have ditched Him long ago.

You are a perseverer. What bothered me was that I was runner so I knew where the finish line was. But to keep running and not know how much longer is very hard. You must be a real woman of faith. You will look back and appreciate God’s work in your life but for now, it doesn’t seem like it will ever happen. I would hear of people living in the dark night of the soul for a year or two but eleven years was over the top. But Jesus knows. So I am confidant that He knows your situation. I can’t wait for the sun to rise and the clean streams of water to flow by you again.

I would be happy to pray for you Katrina, if you ever have especially low times. As I said, I would have to be you to know what you are facing but I think I have a good grasp of how you feel.

Oh I pray that Jesus would refresh and lift you up again. I really ache for you sister!

1 Like

Hi Amy. I agree with Rezen. I can only speak for my own experiences walking with Jesus. Most of the time God answers my prayers quickly and gives what I ask for, praise be to God, but there are times when my prayers seem to be unanswered. This is the time I step back and ask myself maybe what I’m praying for is not His will or it’s not the right time yet. There are questions in my life I have asked God for seventeen years now and haven’t received an answer yet. This is when I pray the Lord’s Prayer for Jesus said God already knows what is in our hearts even before we ask and we should only pray the Lord’s Prayer. I know God exist. I know He is real from my experiences but yes at times He is silent. That’s when I remind myself to be faithful to Him and believe we are in the palm of His hands. I believe He will take care of us more than the birds of the air. As Rezen said maybe the answer to our prayers is a “no” or it’s still not the right time. I encourage everyone to remain steadfast in your faith and believe He hears our prayers. I always remind myself during those silent moments with God that if I don’t rely on Him who am I going to turn to? For me there’s no one like Him. I have limitations. My family and friends have limitations. My brothers and sisters in the faith can only do so much but God is limitless. These are not empty words from me. I know God because I was foolish enough to test Him when I was young. I needed to know if it was going to be a waste of time trying to know God. I tested Him. He revealed Himself to me but it was painful though because I guess I had the nerve to test Him. No matter how bad the storm is around us, close your eyes. Hold on to Him. Don’t let go and He’ll see you through. I have experienced this as well.

3 Likes

Such an important and difficult question to wrestle with, and I’m sure, and apologize in advance, that i won’t be coming close to settling the question in a way that takes away the very real and unfortunate pain that so many have to suffer through when experiencing for themselves the apparent silence of God, especially in those times when His voice would seem to matter most. My heart and hope is that God would more clearly reveal his plans and purposes to your friends in a clear and more discernable way, but that they would also remember that- ‘by endurance they will gain their lives’ Luke 21 19

I’m inclined to think that it’s not so much a question of ‘if’ God answers His children when we petition him, but ‘how’ God answers His children when we petition him. God our Lord is so perfectly aware of every depth and longing of our heart and how minimally capable we are of truly knowing what is ultimately good for us, that in a very real and I believe very likely sense, what we as his Children percieve as Gods silence, is instead Gods power and presence for a greater purpose that isnt immediately known to us at the moment of our ignorance. We often pray because we simply dont know, and our lack of knowledge is in truth simply a limitation and reminder of our own mortality, but God sees our situation from eternity, and he also speaks into our situation from eternity, which is why in Hebrews 1 He reminds us that the ultimate and continuing means of the transmission of Gods voice is through His Son, ‘whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.’ - Hebrews 1:1-2. So God speaks to us primarily through the redemption and saving reign of Christ, and as such He has once and for all answered the only prayer that in the end ultimately matters:
That deep and abiding prayer and longing of the fallen soul to at once and at last have redemption and a saviour who can ‘rescue us from the dominion of darkness’, which Christ has definitively answered at the cross, through his death and ressurrection.

Over and over again ive been greatly inspired by what Fyodor Dostoevsky, certainly no stranger to hardship himself, wrote of the ultimate setting right of things at the ‘worlds finale’:
‘I believe like a child that suffering will be healed and made up for, that all the humiliating absurdity of human contradictions will vanish like a pitiful mirage, like the despicable fabrication of the impotent and infinitely small Euclidean mind of man, that in the world’s finale, at the moment of eternal harmony, something so precious will come to pass that it will suffice for all hearts, for the comforting of all resentments, for the atonement of all the crimes of humanity, for all the blood that they’ve shed; that it will make it not only possible to forgive but to justify all that has happened.’
That’s a powerful perspective that has a strong biblical basis, and one i wholeheartedly agree with.

3 Likes

I’ll pray as well: Lord bless Karina with the feeling of your eternal and unconditional love! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Karina, could you reply to us at the thread Colossians 3:13-14 Prayer as it is a group that prays for the posts that week. I pray for you and often wonder where are you? If you are like I was, it continues and you need continued prayer but we don’t know if you do not tell us. If you signed up at @Interested_in_Prayer, you would get notifications as to our weekly posts. We care for you and if you have to post the same thing every week - do so and we’ll be in prayer.

It’s an aspect of prayer that I do not like. As we need to persevere in life, we need to persevere in prayer as well. But often, a desperate need is posted and then, the individual goes back in the shadows alone. Please don’t stand alone. If you have a prayer group and don’t need us, so be it but have someone!!! If you have no one, we are it!

1 Like

God is always there with us but sometimes it seems like He is silence it a devil who make us think or believers silent, that is not true. God will never forsake us or leave us always there to hear us when we pray we just have to be patient God has a plan for each one of us at the right let be wait on the Lord and he never be late