Support RZIM Connect

My Roommate's statement, "No One Gets Out Alive,"

Hey Heyyy, Everyone! :smile:

I hope you are all well, and doing good. I can honestly say that I try to be a positive influence as well as clearly showing the Love of Christ Jesus, our Savior as situations permit.
With that being said, I am sorry to say that I think I have missed another opportunity, but I am at least hopeful that it will come around again very soon. My roommate believes in God but as I mentioned in a previous post, he is convinced that God is punishing him. This was the first ‘missed opportunity,’ but that is another story/post.
No, this, is, I suppose from a certain point of view true(-ish?) Anyway as I mentioned above in the title, he asserts in a (I think I mean to say ‘tongue in cheek’) kind of humorous (or at least it’s how he is presenting it, to elicit a chuckle) standpoint that, “None of us are getting out of here alive.” And, please understand that I am meaning No offense. But rather, I am begging for advice on how to use that as a segue, or as a lead-in to witnessing the Gospel to him.
I know that there is some way of using that (and I know he will say it again!) as a beautiful, smooth glide right into the wonderful word of God! I can almost picture some of you with a gift for Evangelism just drooling at an opportunity that is basically handed out on a silver platter like this. The part I am missing (and I have prayed for the words and even more, I listen so hard I could hear a pin drop in the middle of a Rock Concert!) are the words.
Somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I ask, I pray, and I believe that I am getting the answer to my prayers for opportunities in these moments, and I have even gone back to pray again for the opportunity and the words that would or rather should be literally on the tip of my tongue and 0 Nothing Zip Please help me. It’s bothering me to the point of losing my appetite and sleep. I have tried to casually work in my own experiences, or, “Hey, I was reading my Bible this morning and I read this awesome passage…,”
Cricket…cricket “You there?” I will ask. He will say yes, or yeah, etc., and I have asked, “What did you think?” And he will say, “Yeah…it’s nice,” or something like that, using as few words as possible. I am really bothered by this.

Michael C

3 Likes

Hi @MichaelTheGamer, sorry this is bothering you and I love your heart that is looking for the moments to help your roommate and those that are around you. The statement that “no one gets out alive” can mean different things depending on how it is viewed.

He is correct that “no one gets out alive physically” but “No one gets out alive spiritually unless they know, believe, and accept Christ as their Lord and savior.” The flesh will die, true, but the soul is eternal.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 10: 9-10: I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Romans 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

I hope this helps. Keep praying and reading the bible. The Holy spirit will guide you and remind you of his eternal life giving word that you can share with everyone.

God Bless You.

5 Likes

Michael, @Danageze has given you a good start with some Bible passages to research. I have found that asking the right questions frequently leads you to the right words. Your friend’s statement, “None of us are getting out of here alive,” brings the following questions to mind that I might ask if I were conversing with your roommate:

• What do you mean by “alive?”
  • “Us?” Who is “us?”
  • None of us? Aren’t we going from life to life?

These may elicit some interesting responses that may lead you into some deeper conversation about grace and mercy.

5 Likes

It’s possible your frustrating yourself in the act of trying to win.

Let’s say you actually “succeeded” at not “dropping the ball” with the next “opportunity”… What then??

Do you think it would catapult your conversation to a new spiritual level or that it would make your room mate somehow open up and believe the gospel?

Your room mate’s salvation doesn’t hinge on whether or not you do or don’t “drop the ball” when talking with him.

Take a few minutes to listen to the following videos… Perhaps some of the same key considerations might be considered as you ponder the frustrations you have with your frustrated performance and mindset to win.

3 Likes

I worked at a summer camp in Oklahoma a couple years ago with my church. Our goal was to have a 1-on-1 conversation with each camper about the Gospel. One girl in my cabin believed she had never sinned. I asked my pastor what to say to her and he said God never called anyone to make someone believe or save them only to share the Gospel and pray that they would understand and trust in Him. I and other staffers talked to and prayed for her throughout the week. I don’t know if she trusted Christ that week or the week or year after, but I know that week she recognized that she has sinned which opened the door to explain she needed a savior and that Savior is Jesus. She has trusted Christ.

All that to say keep looking for opportunities to share the good news of Christ which is that He died for our sins and rose from the dead, if we simply believe in Him we have eternal life 1 Corinthians 15:1-11.
We’re all sinners because of this we’re separated from God, but because of His great love for us He made a way to restore fellowship with Him and that was through Christ paying our penalty on the cross. We have forgiven from God through Jesus. We simply need to believe in Christ (John 3:16-17).

3 Likes

Wait, are you saying that we don’t necessarily need to make sure that that person is saved? My goodness, I have been losing hours upon hours of sleep for 20+ years because I had never (to my knowledge) helped anyone become a Christian! Please forgive me, but I have to make sure that I understand what you are saying. Do I have this right? That I just have to share the Good News and what each person does with the information is not counted against me?
Michael C

2 Likes

Hi Michael,
Don’t get discouraged re missing an opportunity in the conversation with your friend. We’ve all been there. I used to beat myself up after every witnessing experience, “oh, I should have said this when they said that,” and “how did I miss that opening,” etc. The Lord finally delivered me from the second-guessing and condemnation and spoke to my heart via scripture–“And let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not.” (Gal. 6:9) Its all about persevering in the faith.
Well, I must say that I’ve never had anyone use that line in conversation, but I certainly wish they had. :slight_smile: I think the agonizing that you are experiencing is that you know it provides a wide open door for an in depth spiritual conversation but your struggling to come up with the next step. I agree with Brendan on the approach: questions will help to open the conversation and put the ball in your friends court to define and clarify what it is that he means when he says, “None of us are getting out of here alive.” We live in a soundbite culture and people rarely think past a 140 character Twitter feed. It is for this reason that I usually employ Greg Koukl’s two questions when someone makes a truth claim such as that of your friend. The two questions are:
“That’s interesting. What exactly do you mean by that?” I have found that often times the person doesn’t even know how to explain the claim they just made. They will often stutter, try to gather their thoughts, and come up with something that makes some sort of sense.
After they answer the first question, if they can, I ask, “and how did you come to that conclusion?” At that point the person usually has the “deer in the headlights” look and they have no idea of how they came to believe what they just said is true. I find questioning evangelism to be the most productive and effective-helping the believer to think, and the thinker to believe. :slight_smile:
An acronym that is used as a model for conversational evangelism is: SALT-Start the conversation; Ask questions, Listen, and then Tell the Story.
You may find the following resources helpful in managing the conversations with your friend and those you meet in the future:
Tactics-10 Anniversary Edition-A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions–Greg Koukl
Conversational Evangelism-how to listen and speak so you can be heard–Norman & David Geisler
Questioning Evangelism-Engaging Peoples Hearts the Way Jesus Did–Randy Newman, forward by Lee Storbel
Thank you for sharing your heart and struggles in reaching out to others. I will certainly be praying for you and your friend as you move into deeper conversations about ultimate destiny.
Blessings,
Lane

8 Likes

Great post, Lane! @Abdu_Murray has a great interview with Greg Koukl in two parts on The Defense Rests: Part 1 and Part 2.

2 Likes

Very insightful to me as well, @LLD. Thank you.

I have found that questions allow the person to whom we are asking explain and diagram their initial concepts and thoughts into visible layers for themselves. It can be an art that takes a while to get more fluent at, but it can be a very penetrating one.

3 Likes

It would be impossible to articulate what you “have to do”. That’s between you and God as He answers your questions and concerns.

It is equally impossible for you to “make sure that a certain person is saved” That’s ultimately between them and God…

One last thing: You seem to be having somewhat of a paradigm shift in your thinking… Moving forward, consider your ways one step at a time. Take whatever time you need to search the scriptures on your own. Acknowledge God’s leading and enjoy the journey.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Romans 8:14

4 Likes

Yeahhh, I uhh… I think it sounded—to me, anyway, but we are our own worst (best? :thinking: ) critic—like almost something that a slacker might say. As if it was, in slacker-ese translation,

“Wait, so you’re saying that I can squeeze by with the absolute bare minimum? 'Cause I can do that, no problem!”
Anyway, I guess my point is I already had a feeling that I was only half a Christian or some kind of sub-Christian because I had never led anyone to Christ. I don’t remember what day it was but some time last week, (that is, Monday, July 27th through Friday the 31st which is, at least on the Radio Station I listen to, Just Thinking is only aired on a Monday through Friday cycle) Abdu Murray was speaking about the unfortunately-low percentage of Christians who have or were asking people if they would like to accept Jesus into their lives as well as the free gift of Salvation that Jesus had given his life in order that we might live life more abundantly and more than that—and even better—we get to spend eternity with Him.
Clearly, I didn’t even come close to saying it as well as he did, but it is what got me thinking about this post and so here we are all caught up. I am sorry, I sometimes have trouble finding the right words but I also want to thank everyone for their wonderful support, I was incredibly touched and I am finally able to feel like
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” –Phil 4:13 NKJV

Thank you for the awesome support!
Michael Carcieri

1 Like