Mystery of wordliness

I am wondering if anyone has an answer to Isaiah’s question:

2 Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

Why do people pursue vanity? We are created for eternity, so why go after temporal things? It just seems so illogical.

1 Like

@manbooks Some food for thought :slight_smile:

• some people are ignorant of the truth because they have simply never heard it or understood it
  • some people suppress the truth because they do not want to obey it
  • some people are simply so lost in an idol they have no room in their mind for God
  • some people are just confused - they have been hurt or misinformed and just really need some wisdom / healing

John 3:19-21 - This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Romans 1:28 - Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done

1 Corinthians 1:21-24 - For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 2:6-8,14 - We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

Yes, and later in chapter 55 God invites “let the unrighteous man forsake his way”, but that is offensive to those who love their sin.
Can’t have God, and still love the world.
Even if that world could never satisfy
It breaks my heart.

1 Like

I heartily agree with your perspective that temporal things are truly temporal. But I don’t think your straightforward conclusions fit the curve balls of life. There is such a thing as being too logical and overly wise. .

Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which He hath made crooked? Ecc 7:1

I think there’s beautiful complexity and paradox between things temporal and those eternal, between foolish things and wise… even between flesh and spirit… It seems from my perspective that God, in his infinite wisdom… creates the most beautiful things out of the most unlikely places, he assimilates things which we would have never associated. and He reconciles opposites that conflict with our ideals.

When we see the grey hairs wisdom intersect joyously with the foolish nonsense of a fun-loving child’s routine we grin for profound reasons. Likewise there are important aspects of wisdom that know how to honor temporal things in ways that honor God.

There are loving gestures we use to serve those whom we love (These gestures may come in the form of costly items). They have to do with the story of our life and the meanings we put into it. the way we do stuff and the means we use to respond in our relationships can be done cheap, or they can be done with great honor. It’s possible one of the most excellent and balanced reasons for pursuing aspects of worldly nonsense might be to please the socks off your wife just to watch her smile.

Just listened the Tim Keller Video.on idolatry SeanO posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3745&v=_mK65lpveSM
Great message talks about love out of order: "What’s the difference between honoring a good thing and turning a good thing into an ultimate thing… All the difference in the world "

1 Like

Pleasing one’s wife is not wrong, it’s a good thing. Worshipping her, or anything else, on the other hand, is idolatry. And Isaiah reminds us that it’s just not eternally satisfying.