Mysticism

Can I get some information on the popular use of “enneagrams” in Christian culture, and any book reports on Richard Rohr? I am “testing every spirit,” and trying to discern and navigate through this topic of “mysticism,” and would appreciate some guidance.

3 Likes

From what I’m understanding about it this seems to be a mixture of things. I found an article explaining Christian Mysticism.

From what I’ve read it doesn’t sound biblical at all. It comes off as if the individual is trying to “find” other ways to know God aside from what God has already given us to know him. And it seems to also have some roots in Gnosticism which was considered heretical.

I don’t know much about enneagrams but I did find some information on it as well. I would be careful with things like this because they seem to be more focused on the individual rather than God. It does have useful information but it’s taken to a level that it shouldn’t be taken to when you look into it more.

I hope some of this information has helped. God Bless :blush:

2 Likes

thank you.

2 Likes

@Jmworks9113 Based on my understanding of it in pop-culture it is a personality classifier like the Myers-Briggs. It has a somewhat shady past - having been associated with the occult, but its current usage appears harmless.

Personally I am not a fan of personality tests - I think that they discourage us from seeking to change and can be a barrier to sanctification. Rather than seeking to grow in our areas of weakness and overcome them personality tests can cause us to compensate for them because we think that those particular weaknesses are ‘just part of my personality’. On the contrary, I think the by power of God’s Spirit we can be transformed and overcome many of our weaknesses. That is not to say that we do not all have unique personalities, but I think that labeling them can be unhelpful. I also do not find these personality classifiers to be based in empirical research, though others may disagree.

The following article has some great information on the history of the Enneagram.

We definitely should be concerned when the Enneagram is being used, as many Catholics have, as a form of Gnostic-based numerology. We shouldn’t be seeking divination from a tool that was developed by someone who claims it was handed to him in a vision from what sounds suspiciously like a demon .

When the Enneagram is used simply as a diagnostic tool or for personality classification, the question become less clear. Despite its origin story, there may be enough of the Enneagram that remains useful (or at least non-harmful). If that’s the case, we should leave the issue up to the conscience of the individual Christian.