N T Wright

My pastor has recently started quoting N T Wright. This is new. I have heard that Wright’s theology might not be strictly biblical. I have tried to find information on him online but it all seems ok to my not so knowledgable mind. I don’t want to listen to anything that may be false teaching. What is RZIM’s opinion on his teaching? I do trust this ministry. Thank you.
Karen

1 Like

Karen, I have not extensively studied N. T. Wright, so I cannot authoritatively answer your question. He wrote a very helpful commentary on Colossians and Philemon for Tyndale New Testament Commentaries that I used for personal study (see reference below). I found nothing outrageous in it. He does his own podcast, “Ask N.T. Wright Anything,” and also occasionally appears on Justin Brierly’s “Unbelievable.” You can listen to a few episodes and research what he says.

I more generally sense that “authorities” who start saying so-and-so’s theology is not strictly Biblical tend to be too absolutist in their thinking. We all see dimly (1 Corinthians 13:12). We all have our blind spots. Therefore, everyone’s theology is not “strictly Biblical.” Don’t take anyone’s word for it. Listen, and then prayerfully read the Bible for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Reference:
Wright, N. T. Colossians and Philemon: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 12. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1986. Print. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries.

3 Likes

Tom Wright has a long history of holding conservative Christian views and standing up for the faith; however, lately he has begun to “redefine Paul” and with him - his theology.

Phil Johnson writes, " But it is my strong conviction that the position Wright lays out in What St. Paul Really Said is not an evangelical position at all. It’s a faulty and dangerous reinterpretation of Paul and it misunderstands Scripture in a way that fatally undermines the doctrine of justification by faith and the principle of sola fide ."

From this article: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/whats-wrong-wright-examining-new-perspective-paul/

So, you have to ask yourself, “Which N.T Wright wrote this?”

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

NT Wright is solid.