Nature and God

(Kim O.) #1

I’m wondering how one could you use nature as part of the way to defend a God that has designed the universe and speaks to us. I know that nature is not the specific revelation of Christ, but the design of earth, it’s ability to keep everything alive through many different systems can’t simply be coincidence. I want to be able to connect nature to God, design and the faith conversation, but am concerned about it getting “let’s worship Mother Earth”.

3 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@Koberheu Romans 1 and Psalms 19 provide a strong Biblical basis for natural theology - the idea that nature testifies to the glory and grandeur of God. Included a few resources you might find helpful. There is a huge gap between nature religions, which worship the creation, and deistic religions, which worship the creator of nature. I think making it clear that God is outside of nature - that God, in the beginning, created all things - is a good place to start to avoid turning nature into a god.

Romans 1:20 - For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Psalms 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

1 Like
(Kim O.) #3

Thank you

1 Like
(Mitchell A Strickling) #4

Hi, I have seen that Prof. Alister McGrath is a strong proponent for “natural theology.” A quick google can pull of a multitude of resources on the subject (I would recommend through McGrath’s name in with the search). Anywho, here is a short clip I did find on the subject that might spur you down a good path. -Mitch

https://www.closertotruth.com/interviews/2672

1 Like
(Kenny) #5

Hi @Koberheu, I think it’s a very good question that you posed, because sometimes the line draw may seem so thin that it can fall on either side. Also, I do think what you posed may be a bit broad with many areas that can be covered. So just to build on some of the things that the previous posters have shared, I’d like to introduce you to just some of these areas, which has blessed me:

#1 - Ravi Zacharias on Atheistic Evolution

#2 - The Best reply to Atheist, Evolutionist and Agnostic Part 2 (Ravi Zacharias)

#3 - Can science explain everything? | An interview with John Lennox

Hope that helps you cover some grounds regarding your question on nature and God.

2 Likes