Nature of the Holy Spirit in giving instruction (Acts chapter 1)

Hi everyone,

I am studying Acts with my small group right now. We just got started, but are digging deep. In Acts chapter one, an observation we had is that Jesus speaks through the Holy Spirit to tell the disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit to give them power. The thing we noticed is that when Jesus spoke through the spirit, he got more precise comparative to his other instructions in the same text…he determined the place (Jerusalem) and the general time frame (a few days). This is far more detailed than some of Jesus’ other instructions about when things will happen (e.g. it is not for you to know the time and place).

It got us to thinking whether there is generally a trend for the Holy Spirit to be more specific in his directions. Is this coincidental or has anyone else seen that trend?

2 Likes

@susanna_gresswell Great question :slight_smile: Based on this verse in Peter, I think we can safely say that the Spirit is not always so specific. It depends on God’s purposes in the situation. We also see in this passage in Peter it says the Spirit of Christ, which reminds us that God is one in being and yet three in Person.

I’ve included some additional resource below you may find helpful.

1 Peter 1:10-12 - Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Thank you - this is really helpful insight.

1 Like

@susanna_gresswell Glad you found it helpful :slight_smile: May the Spirit of Christ be with your small group as they grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus!