Need-driven choices?

(Theja Tseikha) #1

Can one say that we exist to fulfil our needs? That the very essence of our being is being needy? Needy for love, for God Himself? When we see carefully, the basis on which we humans make any decision is based mostly, or may be entirely, on our needs. From the lowest decision of searching for food to the decision of searching for God, for forgiveness, for joy and peace, all these are driven by needs. Any comments guys.

(SeanO) #2

@Theja Interesting question.

Looking at Genesis God created us to steward the earth - work the garden - build civilization. And looking at the family unit, God created us to sacrificially meet the needs of other people. He also gave us the ability to create music, works of art and to enjoy life.

So while I think that in a fallen world we are needy in ways we would not have been (sickness, conflict, etc) that the core of our identity is to both be loved by God and to love others.

God meets our needs and we worship Him in return. But we also are agents of God’s creativity, sacrifice and power in the world around us.

So I think we were created to do much more than simply meet our needs - we were created to create, love, sacrifice and delight in all that God has given us - including Himself.

(Jennifer Judson) #3

Good question, Theja.

I agree with you that we are needy…especially for God. I agree that typically our choices reflect our selfish needs.
But I’m not sure that I would say we exist to fulfill our needs. We exist (were created) to fulfill God’s purpose for our life. To quote Rick Warren from the Purpose Driven Life, “you were born by His purpose, and for His purpose.”

Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Philippians 2:12-13: Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

I think all those things we are needy for (or think we are needy for) come to fulfillment, or are put into a correct perspective, when we find our God-given purpose and begin to live that out.