Need help with a Bible Objection

Hey guys, I came across this objection to the Bible,

“The Bible doesn’t prove God exists anymore than a comic book proves Spider-Man exists”

How do you respond to this claim?

5 Likes

Hello Andrew, I’m no expert but I’d love to offer some of my thoughts.

To start, I can say the same about every work of literature on any topic. A book on gravity doesn’t prove gravity exists. A book on light doesn’t prove light exists. An God forbid I should die tomorrow, my eulogy won’t be proof I existed. But at the same time it doesn’t prove non-existence either.

The real issues to face are:

1. what does the book assert?
  2. is the assertion true?

If the assertion is true, the book is then a valid resource in guiding ones belief. The assertions of the bible can be proven. A comic? Not likely, unless based on a true story.

Hopefully that helps!

8 Likes

It’s a good start

1 Like

It’s not the bible alone that proves God it’s logic, math, science, philosophy, etc. All these things together give the high probability that God exists. The order that it would go is that all the other things would give that God existing is the most probable and then you have to ask if there is a God did he make himself known. If he did then you search which faith seems to be the most consistent with reality. By far its the Christian faith.

The New Testament is made up of accounts of Jesus Christ who claimed to be God. The way he proved his claim was by rising from the dead. By studying the resurrection there is no better probable explanation that is consistent with what happened in history aside from the resurrection. If that happened then yes God made himself known to us and it was Jesus. But this does not mean the person will accept this or even do the research. So just be aware of that. Some people just want to dismiss the collective evidence.

Here are some things you can look up if you want.

God Bless :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@andrew92 Great question :slight_smile: I think the simplest answer for starts is just to point out that Jesus left footprints. There is no historical evidence for spiderman and it is easy to show the comic books are not history. In contrast, men, like William Ramsay, who have set out to prove the Bible false from archaeological evidence have on occasion become Christian because the evidence for the Bible is so overwhelming. Some additional resources below.

William Mitchell Ramsay

Ramsay was an archaeologist who set out to prove the Bible wrong by showing that the locations discussed in Acts were not accurate and, low and behold, they were!

William Ramsay was known for his careful attention to New Testament events, particularly the Book of Acts and Pauline Epistles. When he first went to Asia Minor, many of the cities mentioned in Acts had no known location and almost nothing was known of their detailed history or politics. The Acts of the Apostles was the only record and Ramsay, skeptical, fully expected his own research to prove the author of Acts hopelessly inaccurate since no man could possibly know the details of Asia Minor more than a hundred years after the event—this is, when Acts was then supposed to have been written. He therefore set out to put the writer of Acts on trial. He devoted his life to unearthing the ancient cities and documents of Asia Minor. After a lifetime of study, however, he concluded: ‘Further study … showed that the book could bear the most minute scrutiny as an authority for the facts of the Aegean world, and that it was written with such judgment, skill, art and perception of truth as to be a model of historical statement’ ( The Bearing of Recent Discovery , p. 85).

https://peoplepill.com/people/william-mitchell-ramsay/

William Mitchell Ramsay is perhaps one of the most fascinating biblical scholars from the turn of the twentieth century, and his writings are full of knowledge and insight that can only come from one who has extensively experienced firsthand the archaeology and people of Asia Minor. For decades, Ramsay immersed himself in the culture of what is now Greece and Turkey, as he set out first to disprove the Bible as factual and then, to his amazement, to show how the New Testament has proved itself to be historically infallible based on his findings.

The True Myth

And as such, he said, “I know myth when I see it, I know legend when I see it and I know an eye-witness account when I see it. I recognize metaphor when it’s there. All of this is in the Bible. All of it is inspired. But far from all of it is literal history.” Well Dyson and Tolkien pointed out that the only difference was we don’t know that Osiris walked the earth. But Jesus left footprints. People saw him and talked about it.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/transcript/spirits.html

We must not be nervous about “parallels” and “pagan
Christs”: they ought to be there-it would be a stumbling block if they weren’t. We must not, in false spirituality, withhold our imaginative welcome. If God chooses to be mythopoeic-and is not the sky itself a myth-shall we refuse to be mythopathic? For this is the marriage of heaven and earth: perfect myth
and perfect fact: claiming not only our love and our obedience, but also our wonder and delight, addressed to the savage, the child, and the poet in each one of us no less than to the moralist, the
scholar, and the philosopher. Lewis, God in the Dock

2 Likes

There are more than one way we have to answer this question.

*The Holy Bible consists of 66 books, written by different authors from different periods, yet, speak about one central figure: Jesus Christ. Moreover, historicity of Jesus’ resurrection is exceedingly compelling. The only plausible reason for the early Christian movement is the Resurrection of Jesus. That proves Jesus who He claimed to be. Jesus claimed to be God.

*The Kalaam Cosmological Argument
Premise 1- Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
Premise 2- The universe began to exist. (Bigbang)
Conclusion- Universe has a Cause.
- Genesis 1:1- In the beginning God…
*The fine tuning of the universe also argues for an intelligent Designer.

That’s why Dr. Vince Vitale says ironically as follows in 'Jesus Among Secular Gods, Chapter -Scientism)
The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and nothing then magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of every magically rearranged itself for reason what so ever into self replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs makes perfect sense".

Hi, well you might reply by asserting that comic books and the Bible cannot be subsumed into the same category of literature, I would ask just why he said that and what sort of reasoning he has behind that claim, but fisrt it is very important to clarify that a comic book is not meant to prove it’s contents are real, but the Bible I believe is and one example of how it does so is through prophecy, these kind of prophecy’s specifically like in Daniel some have been fulfilled are only true if God exists. I hope this helped you out

1 Like