NEED RESPONSE: Is telling people to put their faith in Jesus a guilt trip?

Hello Everyone,

I’m sharing the Gospel with an agnostic

He said, “but the ‘if you don’t put your faith in Jesus specifically your inherent sin damns you’ seems like it’s basically a guilt trip”

How would you respond it it?

2 Likes

I could say that this person has somewhat of a point. One of the tenants of Christianity is that we are all guilty before God. That this is a state of being from which we are to be rescued. So, Christianity, I would say, it less of a guilt trips and more of a journey out of guilt. Less about walking around feeling condemned, and more about the fact that we were once condemned but now walk in the freedom of Christ.

7 Likes

@andrew92 A couple of scenarios come to mind:

• You stand outside a burning building. The child who started the blaze by playing with fire looks out at you from his bedroom window. He has no way to escape other than jumping into your arms. You say, “Jump into my arms! It is your only way to escape! If you do not, you will burn to death!” Are you putting the child on a guilt trip?
  • You see someone shoplift. You know that the security camera caught him and the police are on their way. You say, “I know the shopkeeper. If you give me the stuff that you stole, I guarantee that the shopkeeper will not press charges. If you do not, then you will be arrested and the shopkeeper will press charges.” Are you putting that person on a guilt trip?
3 Likes

If you aren’t humble enough to believe you are guilty of sin then there is no hope. Fortunately, it is only our job to share the truth, it is the Holy Spirit’s job to convict them of it. John 16:8

1 Like

If man is honest, he can see how fallen this world is and that it needs a savior. Plus, it is also crucial that the person that asked you this understand that man is turning to Christ, not out the fear not to go to hell but out of the love that Christ showed us. What motivates us is his love, not fear. No guilt trip.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Cool :+1:t5:

I think your friend is correct! It is a guilt trip when you present God as (only) Judge who gets sinners. This is where Christianity is different to every other religion, and offers us a different motive to respond to him: the motive of love and worship of God. Remember God acted first (we didn’t do anything at Calvary), we respond to salvation that was purchased at great cost by Jesus (who took guilt, punishment etc).

The problem with the “guilt motive” is that we impress a selfish motive within our friends hearts to respond; that is they respond ultimately for themselves. But true Christianity is only worship of God, and get our loves off ourselves and onto Christ. In Christianity the offer, by the Spirit is new hearts = new loves (for God!).

Key verses… Titus 2: 11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age…

The grace of salvation teaches us to say no (a motive of worship and love for God); rather than fear of punishment (a selfish and guilt motive). Blessings!

1 Like