Never be forgiven

(Arthur Tepichin) #1

Mark 3:28-30 New International Version (NIV)

28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin."

What is meant by “whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never been forgiven”

Does it mean, Those that are not saved will never be forgiven?

(SeanO) #2

@Tepichin Here are a few articles that explain blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

First - I would like to echo a point made by the late R. C. Sproul - “worrying about it is one of the clearest evidences that they have not committed this sin, for those who commit it are so hardened in their hearts they do not care that they commit it”

If someone is worried they may have blasphemed the Holy Spirit - they have not - because if they had they would not care.

Second, it is clear that no sin is unpardonable.

Let me repeat that - God will forgive all sin if the sinner repents.

The key here is ‘if the sinner repents’. If someone has committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit they have rejected God’s witness of Himself - they have cut off their road to the knowledge of God through Christ - because it is the Spirit who testifies with our spirit that He is God. If we reject the witness of the Spirit of God, we no longer have a way of knowing or relating to God - we have effectively - by our own choice - cut ourselves off from God.

The reason blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is an ‘eternal sin’ is not because God will not forgive it - it is because the person who commits it has chosen to cut themselves off from God’s Spirit and therefore the truth about Christ, which is spiritually discerned.

I Corinthians 2:14 - “The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.”

(Arthur Tepichin) #3

You sir are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you!

(Tim Ramey) #4

@SeanO I look forward to reading your “inclusions.” I could not agree with you more. It is a very pertinent issue as I have dealt with many that are afraid that they are on the outs because they committed the unpardonable sin. As you mentioned, their concern would not be there if they didn’t care about their relationship with Jesus.

It does amaze me that, regardless of the subject, you reach for the book or article in the massive library that you have somewhere!

(SeanO) #5

@Tim_Ramey I must admit that with the articles there is some google foo involved :slight_smile: But I have a few websites / teachers I trust and I’ll generally try to find things they have written and then review them for applicability.

Yes, it is heart wrenching to hear of the needless anxiety this passage causes some people. To all who are thirsty God always says:

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.” -Isaiah 55:1

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life. Rev 22:17

(Sandy) #6

Hi Sean, very well explained! No one comes to Jesus unless the Father draws him. What hope is there if one chooses to discount the very One whose work is essential to the process - the work of Holy Spirit. Thanks for your clear explanation!

(Arthur Tepichin) #7

Great stuff!

(SeanO) #8

Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: