New to Christ

What advice do you have for a person who is fairly new in learning to walk with Christ?

2 Likes

Welcome to the family of God! So glad to hear of your decision to follow Jesus and become a Christian.

A starting point would be to read the 4 Gospels in the New Testament (which are about the eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ life, death, burial and resurrection)., and the book of Acts which is the story of the spread of the church after Jesus went back to heaven. Probably start with the Gospel of Luke, then read the Gospel of Matthew and Mark next, then the Gospel of John.

If you are struggling with something in your life, the book of Psalms is very helpful as it was written by King David during many difficult periods of his life. He was the King of Israel which you can read about in 1 and 2 Samuel.

God talks to us through his written word (which is inspired by God Himself as it says in 2 Timothy 16-17), and we pray to God. As a Christian we have entered into a relationship with God, so hearing from Him through His Word, and talking to Him in prayer is how you would build this relationship.

Other important steps would be to try and find a local church to worship, make friends with Christians so you can encourage each other and grow together. You will find that you will encourage someone older in the faith in asking them questions also - they will be encouraged to be able to help you and provide input into your life (as would any of the many Christians on this forum :slight_smile:)
This might be a helpful page to start with with some additional starting steps towards growth.

Another resource that is useful is theBibleProject, and in particular their ‘Read Scripture’ videos section which is a great starting point for reading a particular book of the Bible. It really helps me personally to have an overview to know who wrote a book, to whom it was written, why it was written.

Also, perhaps a good daily bible study guide such as ‘Our Daily Bread’, which sends their materials for free to most places in the world might be a good way to get into a good routine of listening to and talking to God. They also have an extensive online ministry with apps and many resources.

I think most importantly, as we grow in faith we all need to remember to keep our focus on Jesus who is the author and finisher of our faith as it says in Hebrews 12:1-3. We all naturally look up to older and wiser men and women of faith - and this is a good thing to learn and grow and it’s important. It is possible in our lives, that someone in the faith may eventually stumble and fall or disappoint us, and it’s important to realise that they are also only human just like us. Only Jesus is perfect.

I hope this is a helpful starting point for you.

4 Likes

I agree with @matthew.western, great advice and good resources. Just one scripture I want to add since I know a litte about you through our discussions. I just posted this in another thread.
__ 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerorsthrough him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 8:35-39

Never give up. Even when you dont “feel” Gods presence know that “He will never leave you or forsake you.”~ Hebrews 13:5
Stay connected @Shanti

4 Likes

Thank you @matthew.western! I’ve looked through the resources you shared and I’m excited to explore them deeper.
I have finished reading the new testament, and currently I’m going through it again while putting in focus on the historical aspect of each book to help put things in better perspective for me.
I’m moving through the old testament pretty slowly as I think the language style is a bit more difficult to understand.
Thanks again for making time to share your thoughts.
God bless.

4 Likes

Thanks again @sig! That last line really hits home. :heart:

3 Likes