Noah and family

Why do preachers today say that Noah was a preacher in the sense that people would be drawn to God? While The Bible say that God told Noah to build an Ark for him and his family. The Ark was only built for Noah and his family . Know one was getting on. If anyone had believed and wanted to be saved where would they have gone. Was it to late after the Ark was started? That’s how I read it. God had gave up on all but Noah and family.
Genesis 6:7 KJV
[7] And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

2 Likes

I think that is a fair question, but why take a such a look time (50 plus years) to build the ark? The fact that Noah obeyed God not only in the building of the ark but in the living of his life reminds me of the old adage " to preach Jesus always and when necessary use words". So, in that sense I think that it is safe to call Noah a preacher.
To your question regarding God’s decision to destroy man that was only final after God shut the door to the ark. I think that is reasonable to believe that Noah’s neighbors had plenty of time to respond to his preaching.
My thoughts. What do you think?

1 Like

I believe Noah was a preacher before God said build the ark. Genesis 6:13 KJV
[13] And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
Genesis 6:14 KJV
[14] Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.

I notice God says Make thee an ark “ meaning Noah and his family. Just my take.
Thanks for your thoughts.

1 Like

Good question @Superxmag - the Bible explicitly says in II Peter 2:5 that Noah was a preacher of righteousness.

So was his great grandfather Enoch - Jude, verses 14-15.

As for whether anyone else could have gotten on the ark, I do not know why they could not have right up until the time that God shut the door in Genesis 7:16. That would, after all, seem to have been the point of Noah’s preaching - urging sinners to repent and flee to the ark for safety.

I hope this helps you!

1 Like

Maybe if people had heeded Enoch and Noah’s warnings there would have been no need for the ark. Genesis 6:13 KJV
[13] And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

1 Like

I don’t dispute what you are saying but I would like to suggest another view of this verse.
If I read Gen 6:7:

7 And Yahweh said, “I will destroy humankind whom I created from upon the face of the earth, from humankind, to animals, to creeping things, and to the birds of heaven, for I regret that I have made them.” (Ge 6:7)

Yahweh declared his intension to destroy before he showed mercy to Noah and the verses that run up to Gen 6:13 make room for enough time to allow for the repentance of those who were in rebellion. Noah fathered 3 sons and those sons each took a wife. Noah wasn’t living in a vacuum.

If that is a proper understanding of Gen 6:13 then we could easily conclude that this is not a new decision put an affirmation of his stated intensions in verse 7. Couple that with time between verse 7 and the closing of the Ark door by Yahweh there is plenty of time for the wicked to repent. I believe that God’s desire from the beginning, is that all be saved and that none perish. For me this is a core doctrine. Man must not reject what God reveals about himself to do so is at man’s peril.

I have had this thought many times and in addition to this verse I would add Adam and Eve, the tower of Babel, the giving of the Decalogue as possible candidate for a what if senario. What if ( fill in the blank), would that have ushered in the Kingdom of God? Maybe, but any world that I could image or you could image no matter how wonderful or prefect wouldn’t have me or you in it.
So for me what if’s are just that what if.