Noah's Ark Vs Evolution

Hi, brothers and sisters. i’ve got a legit question from atheist in facebook : “how do you prove that Noah’s Ark was not myth?”
Good day
God bless

2 Likes

@fortunatuskenzo Great question! Initially, I would have two observations:

• Noah’s ark does not stand in direct contradiction to evolution - even if animals evolved, Noah’s ark could have happened. Now, I do not think that man evolved from animals, but I am just saying these two things are not in direct contradiction.
  • We do not need to prove that Noah’s ark happened - we need to show that it reasonably could have happened. If you are trying to bring a skeptic to Christ, I don’t think you start with Noah’s ark - I think you start with the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, for which there is abundant historical evidence. Then, you can work backward toward questions such as Noah’s ark.

Regarding Noah’s ark, there are a few things to keep in mind:

• some Christians believe in a local flood that only covered part of the earth, which gets rid of a lot of the objections people bring against a global flood - people like Tim Keller, Hugh Ross and other very intelligent Christians. Others believe in a flood that truly covered the whole world. When the New Testament says a census went out through the whole world - it mean the Roman world - the known world. The ancients had not traveled the whole globe, so when they talked about the ‘world’ they often meant the known world.
  • there are many flood myths around the world - the Biblical description of the flood is far and away the only one that could have feasibly happened, but the other myths may point back to the Biblical flood.

Some additional thoughts and resources below. Hope that is helpful :slight_smile:

The challenge for us in interpreting the biblical flood narrative is that you will find highly educated Christian theologians and scientists putting forward a strong case on both sides of the debate! On the one hand, you can find a very thorough and thoughtful case made by those who are convinced that the flood was global in scope. On the other hand, you will find Christians equally committed to the flood being a localized event.

https://connect.rzim.org/t/questions-for-vince-and-jo-vitale-february-6-10-2017/283/15

What is a myth?

myth definition - a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events

So, a myth is just an origin story with supernatural beings that explains some element of history or culture. To our modern ears, the word myth also means not true - made up - fictitious Now, if the Bible’s stories are true history - we should expect other myths to echo elements of the Biblical story. In one sense, the Bible is the true myth - the supernatural origin story explaining sin and salvation that actually happened.

We can believe the Bible is the ‘true myth’ because much of it is historically verifiable (life and death of Jesus and history of nation of Israel) and because we find echoes - or ripples - of the Biblical stories in other cultures around the world. Take, for example, the Garden of Eden and the Flood - many cultures all around the world have stories echoing these stories. Some people try to say this fact is evidence the Bible stories are made up - but actually we would expect many myths to echo real history.

In essence, legends around the world point back to factual history - the history shared in the Bible about the Garden of Eden and the Flood. Now, it is possible that some legends were derived from local events and other legends from these original events, so I do not want to over simplify the data. But I do think the prevalence of such myths could reasonably be said to point back to an original event.

Flood Legends

There are flood myths all around the world. One way of looking at these myths is that they all point back to one true event - the Flood of Noah. The book “Flood Legends” is written from a Christian perspective and goes through a subset of these myths to unpack them in light of the story of Noah. What sets the story of Noah apart is that it is, by far, the most logical and realistic of all of the flood stories.

4 Likes

OH… so another questions beside life, death, and ressurection of Jesus is kinda like a decoy. but what you’re saying is true because “the Gospel of Christ… is the power of God to salvation…” (Rome 1:16)… thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it :smiley:
God bless

2 Likes

@fortunatuskenzo Not sure if I would use the word decoy - maybe more like its simply not the most important issue. A person can be a Christian and still have questions about the Noah’s ark story. Christian’s still have difficult questions about faith and the Scriptures. So rather than focusing on something not central to the faith, try to bring the individual back to the heart of the Christian faith so that they can find life in Christ and then struggle with their doubts / questions from within rather than without. Blessings :slight_smile:

2 Likes