(Not) Chosen before the foundation of the world

(Kelsey Gaston) #1

Just recently I have had my second “bipolar episode” that was accompanied by awful things I believed, thought and said such as thinking I should commit suicide, telling people I wasn’t sure I was a Christian, running away from my family, believing I was demon possessed, wondering if I was an antichrist, fully believing events would happen then being confused that they didn’t come true, etc. I feel much better now that I am on psychiatric medicine but I have questioned- could I have not been given the gift of faith in Jesus and chosen before the foundation of the world? Could I be one of those who God has born with patiently as an instrument of his wrath? I have landed on that I just will believe that it only takes simple faith in Jesus to be saved. I pray very often that God will give me a willing spirit to sustain me and help me bring glory to him. But why would a true Christian do these things and is there evidence of other true Christians going through times like mine?

(SeanO) #2

@cajunrig Glad that you are receiving help for your condition. I think the way I would try to process through your question, “How could I do these things as a Christian?” would be:

• seek help and healing for your condition
  • keep your eyes on Jesus and trust Him to walk with you through the struggle - don’t focus on your past actions but on Christ and who you are seeking to become in Him
  • remember that God loved you when you had nothing to give - remember and take comfort in the Gospel (Romans 5:8 - But God proves His own love for us in this - while we were still sinners, He gave His Son for us)
  • whenever you can think clearly, rest fully in the love and grace of Jesus - be honest with God about your struggles and trust in His grace
  • seek to obey God in all things with all of your heart, strength and mind - as best as you are able, but always remember you are saved by grace and not by works

Jesus accepts anyone and everyone who comes to Him - never let anyone tell you you are not chosen - we are all chosen in Him if we come - let all who are thirsty come! Let all who need healing and grace for the journey come!

Rev 22:17- The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

Isaiah 55:1 - Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

Praying for you :slight_smile:

Rick Warren’s son struggled with mental illness and I think he has some wise things to day. I’ve also linked a book from Focus on the Family.

(Sieglinde) #3

“For God so loved the world (Kelsey, that means you too!) that He gave His only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER, (that means you too Kelsey!) shall call upon His name shall be saved!”
Kelsey, I am thankful you are on your medication. And I am thankful you are reaching out. If you don’t mind my asking, are you in counseling for you Bipolar? I am not a professional so I don’t want to say too much. But I know that talking with a professional along with taking your medication can help you navigate through this.
And yes, I had those thoughts as a Christian when I was younger.
Keep in Gods word. Some negative things we tell ourselves can distort the reality of Gods love toward us. The devil is the father of lies!
Bless your heart. You are Gods beloved child.
Read Phillipians 4:8 to help you develope right thinking. And please know that you will be in my prayers.
Thank you for sharing sweetheart❤️

(Russell Mashburn) #4

Hello Kelsey. I’m new to this community here and hope I’m not out of line at all.

I have been under attack spiritually before, literally. It’s scary and feels like all is lost. That’s just the lie evil wants to convince you of. However it tries to compromise our thinking we cling to Christ. I found that things that are difficult and scary gets our full attention and ultimately brings us closer to Christ. His ways are higher than our ways. We will never understand things that we aren’t meant to understand, but i know he loves us. Through Christ anything is possible. Call on him in Jesus name.

(Sieglinde) #6

I am so thankful you weighed in on this to help this sweet soul. Thank you so much!
God bless!

(Kelsey Gaston) #7

Yes I am in Christian counseling. Thank you so much for your encouragement and prayers!

(Kelsey Gaston) #8

Thank you!!!

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #9

Kelsey, thank you for sharing your struggles. I believe God will use you greatly because you’re willing to be open about the things you’re going through.

I just want to encourage you that you can be confident you are chosen. Actually, most (all?) the time the Bible uses the word chosen, it doesn’t refer to personal salvation. In the Old Testament, the Jews were God’s chosen people. That didn’t mean they were all saved. God chose them as a group to a special place of service and blessing, and they were supposed to share those blessings with the world.

The verse you referenced about being chosen before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4) is introducing three chapters about the great news that there is no longer a difference between the Jews and Gentiles. All of us who are in Christ get the same blessings (like adoption and inheritance) that used to belong to the Jews. We’re all God’s chosen people when we believe in Christ.

When these verses come to mind and make you feel like you might not be chosen, that you might be damned, please remember that Satan uses Bible verses out of context. That’s how he tempted Jesus (Matthew 4:1-11).

Jesus responded with Bible verses that are very clear in their meaning. A good option for you might be 1 Timothy 2:4, which says God “desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (ESV).

Another passage you might enjoy is Romans 8:31-39:

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

May you feel the love of God surrounding you, Kelsey. You are His precious child, and I’m praying that you feel secure in His overwhelming love.