Obedience to the scriptures

(Haley) #1

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what are you supposed to do when you don’t want to follow the Bible?
I’ve grown up in church and I currently find myself questioning Christianity. I did evangelism with YWAM this last summer and the people were very closed off. It really made me start questioning why I believe. I’ve been listening to Ravi’s podcast and can say with conviction that I believe there is a God.
I’m also wondering how I can know that when the gospels quote Jesus it is what he really said.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@DarsilRain Thank so much for sharing your heart with us :slight_smile: I know that I have had those times of doubt - of standing at the borders of faith and genuinely feeling uncertain about which way to go. Doubt is simply a part of being human.

Here are some thoughts I hope will be helpful. May the Spirit of Jesus truly touch your heart and mind that you may know Him more and grow in the grace and knowledge of Him!

• find Christian mentors - living or dead - who have been through the same experience as you - there are many! One I might recommend checking out is Philip Yancey - he had his own struggles with doubt and his books really provide some wonderful stories of people who became Christ to the world
  • obedience precedes understanding - I cannot possibly list the times I’ve chosen to obey God’s Word when I felt like doing otherwise and only later understood the reason as it produced the fruit of the Spirit in my life
  • the way of life in Christ Jesus really is narrow. Read the book of John - soak in it - especially John 14-16 when Christ prays for His disciples. Obedience to God is not the norm - but its fruit is communion with God - the greatest treasure of all

John 14:15-16 - “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you.

“I do not seek to understand in order that I may believe, but rather, I believe in order that I may understand” - Anselm of Canterbury

Regarding how we can trust that the words we read in the Bible are what Jesus taught, here are some thoughts:

• the apostles who wrote the Scriptures suffered and died for what they taught - we have the testimony of their lives - literally - that they all believe down to their core that their eye witness testimony of Jesus’ life and words was true
  • the New Testament is the most well attested ancient document in existence, with nearly 6,000 Greek manuscripts and many more if you include additional languages - we can trust that the words the apostles wrote were reliably transmitted to us

I also really like this story from ‘The Silver Chair’ by C. S. Lewis in terms of dealing with certain types of doubt.

1 Like
(Haley) #3

Thank you for the kind replies. I’ll check out some Philip Yancy books.

1 Like