Obituary: Ravi Zacharias

In November last year, a few months after his last visit to Angola, Zacharias stepped down as President of RZIM to focus on his worldwide speaking commitments and writing projects. He passed the leadership to his daughter Sarah Davis as Global CEO and long-time colleague Michael Ramsden as President. Davis had served as the ministry’s Global Executive Director since 2011, while Ramsden had established the European wing of the ministry in Oxford in 1997. It was there in 2018, Zacharias told the story of standing with his successor in front of Lazarus’s grave in Cyprus. The stone simply reads, “Lazarus, four days dead, friend of Christ.” Zacharias turned to Ramsden and said if he was remembered as “a friend of Christ, that would be all I want.”

Ravi Zacharias, who died of cancer on May 19, 2020, at age 74, is survived by Margie, his wife of 48-years; his three children:—Sarah, the Global CEO of RZIM, Naomi, Director of Wellspring International, and Nathan, RZIM’s Creative Director for Media; and five grandchildren.

The full obituary is available at our website:

20 Likes

Oh God, my God, I am devastated to know that one of my most beloved spiritual heroes has left us. I am utterly saddened, but still, hope lives in me, and I find comfort in the Word of God, which Ravi-ji never failed to eloquently impart. Words such as: “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”—1 Corinthians 15:55. “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me will live, even if he dies; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. —John 11:25-26. “Because He lives, you too will live.” John 14:19

As I shed heartfelt tears over the world losing a warrior of faith, my heart smiles too, because you have lived and shared your love for Christ with us. One thing from me that you can be sure my beloved brother in Christ—all that you mean to me will live on, and the memory of you will always fill my heart with gratitude and joy. I promise that I will do my utmost to continue to live a righteous life, and to give myself fully to our Lord, never making your life’s work and teachings to have been in vain. The faith which, by the grace of God, you help me to gain, solidifies my confidence that we will all be together again one day, walking with our Savior, side by side. For to live is Christ and to die is gain. :pray:t3: :broken_heart:

#thankyouravi, #RZIM, #ChristLives

17 Likes

Ravi Zacharias and his anointed ministry of defending the faith reached around the world for half a century, challenging skeptics to believe and emboldening believers with truth, faith, and moral courage. Our prayers go out for his family and the global RZIM ministry, and our gratitude goes up to God for blessing the world with this choice servant who helped us better know and understand God and his workings. No doubt, Ravi is already enjoying his first moments of what will be an eternity of endless learning and experiencing the glory of God. #ravizacharias

10 Likes

Dearest Dr. Ravi Zacharias Sri!!! See you in heaven. My deepest condolences to family, loved ones and all of us who, even though never met you in person, we carry your legacy in our hearts. May we all find abundant peace & joy in the certainty that you’re finally home. Again dearest Dr. Ravi, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :pray::pray::pray::heart::heart::heart:
#ThankYouRavi #Becon #seeyouwhenourtimecomesSir

9 Likes

Ravi Kumar Zacharias (1946-2020) was perhaps the most influential author and teacher in my early, formative Christian walk. God used him to bring scripture alive to me. Ravi introduced me to a wide array of scholars and philosophers including G.K Chesterton, Malcolm Muggeridge, Robert Murray McCheyne, Archbishop William Temple, Francis Thompson among others. Indeed, He awakened in me a passion to read. Through his books and messages, I was convinced that only the gospel has the remedy to every human malady, a phrase he would often use.

Lisha and I were so blessed to meet with him on several occasions. He was always so present, never rushed and eager to talk, listen and encourage. He effortlessly carried both great intellect and genuine humility, wisdom and candor, scripture and philosophy, East and West.

As an Indian American, I’m so proud of him. As a Christian, I’m indebted to him. As his brother in Christ, there are no goodbyes but soon ‘twill be “hello again.”

Thank you for pouring out your life in proclaiming the gospel. Thank you Margie, Sarah, Naomi and Nate for sacrificially sharing your Dad with us. He is a father figure to many in the faith. Thank you RZIM for your long, faithful witness.
Ravi, I look forward to seeing you again in glory. There, you will have no Q&A… only A in all His glory🙌🏾

7 Likes

Ravi - Deeply felt- greatly loved. My life has been richer for experiencing you.

4 Likes

Even as a teenager, I knew I wanted to be a teacher of the word but I struggled a lot with my mind. My first encounter with Ravi’s messages was in the University in Ghana and that truly changed my life. He gave me a deeper understanding of scriptures and Christian apologetics and I will cherish this forever.

This is a spoken word poem to him for the great impacts he has made in the lives of many, believers and unbelievers alike:

A tribute to Ravi Zacharias

As I pen this my heart is saddened
Unending tears wet my cheeks
The night came early today
Bringing shivers to my spine

For a mighty warrior has departed
Left us to his eternal abode
Nature is silent today
The world, a quiet place

For a man of God has departed
But he left us not alone
His life, his words, his character, his mind reflected Christ for all to see
A legacy that can not be quenched

He made the believer to think and the thinker to believe
A man who shepherd many and defended the truth of the gospel

As Heaven rejoices at your arrival
May the ministry God established through you continue to grow
saving souls, renewing minds, and transforming hearts

I’m overwhelmed by this news of your departure
You rekindled my love for the gospel with your Spirit-filled messages
My steps in Christian apologetics were grounded by your words

As you walk through the streets of Heaven for your crown
Know this, we will keep the faith and not relent
We will fight and persevere with grace given us

As the other Saints welcome you home
Know this…
We will keep building the Church with Christ as the Chief builder
We will defend the gospel with every voice and strength we have like how you taught us
Until the Lord call us home

You will be greatly missed Ravi
Till we meet in presence of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ
Have your rest

Desmond Ato Koomson
19th May, 2020

6 Likes

Amen.
Beautiful words
Well said
Thank you <3