Objects Tied To The Demonic?

(Catlin) #1

It appears to be accepted by many ministries that certain objects tied to demonic power can act as doorways to the spiritual realm and give demons legal ground to affect us negatively.

Edit: I don’t want to emphasize legal ground. It is not an essential aspect. It is more about whether these things can affect our walk. I don’t think they can take away salvation of course and are simply fiery darts for born again Christians but we are called to follow God’s commandments and be righteous for good reason so to not keep a place for the devil in our hearts in the same way bitterness and unforgiveness does.

Here are some examples:
Steven Bancarz (I respect him and his knowledge greatly - exhibits many fruits and is very intelligent and biblical)

Book: Second Coming Of The New Age

John Barnett - DTBM (Was trained at Grace To You Ministries and he knows the Bible like the back of his hand)

Micah Stephen Bell (Don’t know much about him)

Derek Prince speaks about it many times but I cannot remember which videos.

Josh Peck from SkyWatchTv and Doreen Virtue also touch on this issue.

Edit: In the John Barnett video he speaks of this scripture:
Acts 19:18‭-‬20 ESV
“Also many of those who were now believers came, confessing and divulging their practices. And a number of those who had practiced magic arts brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted the value of them and found it came to fifty thousand pieces of silver. So the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily.”

He says that Paul taught that to magnify God we must divest ourselves of anything tied to Satan, to demons, to occult activity and magical black arts. To renounce and get rid of them. Many Christians are held back from fully serving the lord. The spirit is grieved as it sees what we are deciding to hold onto and cherish more than him. It has a hold on us. Paul says we must renounce the darkness. And in the last verse it says: “So the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily” which could mean that the renouncing of it all removed any footholds so their walk with the Lord would be less inhibited?
Paul also explains that we must use God’s spiritual weapons aka the armour of God and that it all starts with full submission to God and I feel renouncing these things would be part of full submission.

More scripture:
1 Corinthians 10:14‭-‬22
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar? What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?"
This seems to illustrate that it is not the objects or idols themselves but the demonic power behind them. And also points out the seriousness. It says that simply eating the food that was sacrificed is participating in the altar. Couldn’t this be applied in other situations? For example, it could follow that venerating the demonic by keeping a picture on a wall to display to everyone and choosing to fill that limited space with something demonic instead of something that glorifies the Lord (regardless of whether you know or not). Even simply keeping a place for it in your home which is supposed to be fully dedicated to God could be participating as Paul says. What do you guys think?
Yes we must glorify the Lord and seek the kingdom first and fix our eyes on him but I think part of that is renouncing or burning anything tied to the demonic and it’s our job to learn what those things are whether it’s objects or music or TV shows or pets or simply anything we trust more or put before God.

I will continue to update and add to this post when I have more time.

For now I’m wondering if there are other respected speakers who teach or speak on the topic.

I’m also very interested in any scripture that deals with this.

Lastly, I’d like to hear any related personal experiences.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and please watch the videos if you want to provide a well thought out answer. Thanks and God bless!

(christopher van zyl) #2

I would like to add a question to this thread too. I’ve always wondered about giving “legal ground” to demons, with regards to watching certain movies or having certain objects etc.

It seems odd to me. If they only did things on the basis of legality, they wouldn’t have rebelled in the first place, surely?

Are they really looking for our permission?

(SeanO) #3

@JesusIsEverythingOrNothing If we read Scripture we find a battle between truth and falsehood, righteousness and depravity, faith and unbelief. The idea of ‘legal ground’, as far as I know, is only taken from the idea of a ‘foothold’ in Ephesians 4:27, but if we put this passage in context we see it is actually about anger.

How does the Bible actually tell us to stand against the schemes of the evil one? If we look at Corinthians and Ephesians, we see we are told to:

• walk in the truth
  • live a righteous life
  • take up the helmet of salvation - our protection is through Christ
  • know God’s Word - which is the Sword of the Spirit
  • take captive every thought to Christ
  • pray in the Spirit for ourselves and others

If we observe Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness, how does Jesus stand against the devil’s schemes? Three times He says ‘It is written’, ‘It is written’, ‘It is written’ - so it seems to me that we are to have faith in God and to know His Word - that is how we stand against the evil one.

I personally do not think an object can have any power over us. That said, I have heard of missionaries who ask converts to destroy idols that may have led to demoic influence or pastors asking people to get rid of bad music / other things that may lead them astray from their house. I think it is true we should not keep things in the house that we have previously associated with idolatry or sin because they could lead us astray. That makes perfect sense to me. But I do not see any Biblical basis for being afraid of objects themselves - rather, we must guard our own hearts and try to avoid things that could easily lead us into temptation.

Those are my thoughts. Hope they are helpful :slight_smile:

2 Cor 10:3-5 - For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Ephesians 4:25-28 - Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”[d]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work,doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

Ephesians 6:10-18 - Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Matthew 4:1-11 - Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Jezebel spirit
(SeanO) #4

@c3vanzyl The Bible does not mention the term ‘legal ground’ - it does mention the idea of a ‘foothold’ in Ephesians. The commentary I read said that ‘foothold’ may refer to the idea of giving space for evil spirits in your life - opening a door to evil things. So, I do not think it is an issue of permission so much as opportunity. As long as we are walking in the truth of Christ no evil spirit can touch us. But if we choose to walk back into sin then we may be able to be influenced.

That said, I do not think that just because we sin suddenly we are under the influence of evil spirits. Honestly, I think emphasizing this too much is just not helpful. Jesus says if we confess our sins He cleanses and fills us and renews us. So if we sin we should not be worried about evil spirits but rather worried about confession and repentance and renewal in the Lord.

(SeanO) #5

@JesusIsEverythingOrNothing If you are going to read a book on the topic, you might consider Chip Ingram. Everything I have heard from him is solid.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #6

@JesusIsEverythingOrNothing, I too have been interested in knowing whether objects are tied to spiritual forces for a long time. When I visit my devout hindu family, their house is full of idols in every room and pictures of gods are on every wall and worship of the idols occurred many times a day. I agree with @SeanO that we need not be afraid of such objects in the house and I also think it is important to discard objects of sacred importance to other religions on accepting Christ. As a child, I was once asked to wear an amulet that was prayed upon by a Hindu priest for 13 years to keep me from getting sick. On coming to Christ, I discarded the idols and the amulet as keeping them would mean fearing/ trusting other gods and rebelling against the God of the Bible. Here are a few verses to consider:

Idols and amulets are an abomination to the Lord

Deu 7: 25 The carved images of their gods you shall burn with fire. You shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them or take it for yourselves, lest you be ensnared by it, for it is an abomination to the Lord your God. 26 And you shall not bring an abominable thing into your house and be devoted to destruction like it. You shall utterly detest and abhor it, for it is devoted to destruction.

Ezek 13:20 Therefore thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against your magic bands with which you hunt the souls like birds, and I will tear them from your arms, and I will let the souls whom you hunt go free, the souls like birds.

Ezek 20: 7 And I said to them, ‘Cast away the detestable things your eyes feast on, every one of you, and do not defile yourselves with the idols of Egypt; I am the Lord your God.’ 8 But they rebelled against me and were not willing to listen to me. None of them cast away the detestable things their eyes feasted on, nor did they forsake the idols of Egypt.

Some Christians keep statues of false gods to be displayed as works of art. Though an idol is nothing in and of itself, my personal conviction is that it is something the Holy Spirit would be grieved by when we choose works of art that depict false gods. They could become a snare as warned in the verses, perhaps through being desensitized by the images which makes us more accepting of what the image stands for.

It is interesting that the Bible gives some evidence of objects being a medium for the Holy Spirit to act. For example: Jesus uses mud and spit to heal, Naaman’s healing in OT in the river, handkerchiefs and aprons were used in healing in NT.

Can the evil spirits also work through objects? Here are a few verses that suggest the evil spirits can also use objects.

Exodus 7:12 For each one threw down his staff and they turned into serpents. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs.

Hosea 4:12 My people consult their wooden idol, and their diviner’s wand informs them; For a spirit of harlotry has led them astray,
And they have played the harlot, departing from their God

Rev 13: 15 He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed

Now, I have never seen any of these kind of manifestations of the evil spirit in objects in my own life, but these verses do suggest spiritual energies can be associated with objects. So, I would be especially careful to avoid keeping objects that were used as a part of a ritual worship in another religion.

I do have a couple of experiences to share that suggest an association of sacred objects and spirits of other gods.

1. Once a devout family member of mine was doing her daily idol worship rituals but accidentally missed one part of it. As a result of that, the spirit of the goddess being worshipped was displeased and it possessed this family member for the day and kept her mute all day. It was only when this spirit left her after a day that her speech was restored. I saw the spirit leave with my own eyes as she threw herself on a chair with a long sigh and I saw her speech being restored. In this instance, I saw that idols are a means to connect to the gods the idols represent. Whether the idol carries the spirit or not, it certainly invited the spirit. May be that is why Paul says that the sacrifices to idols are being made to demons.

2. A close friend of mine before coming to Christ used to read a hindu book called ‘Krishna Leela’ and found herself getting very drawn to it. She soon found herself having the ability to predict what was in the book even without reading it. This ability also came with much depression and suicidal tendencies. On the day she gave her life to Christ, she felt suddenly delivered from all of these oppressive thoughts and she even says she felt something leave her physically on accepting Christ. So here again, the book was the means of connecting to a spirit.

These experiences I know are hard to believe but they were key in my understanding of the spiritual realm and coming to Christ back in India.

I recently heard another example of the influence of occult objects given by Hugh Ross in an interview. He talks about it at around 12 min through the following clip (if it works). In it, he describes about an astrological forecast chart in a home causing spiritual manifestations which stop after getting rid of the chart.

To summarize, I think anything that depicts false gods or objects that have been used or are being used for worship or to connect with other spirits are definitely things to remove from a Christian household. While the spirits associated with the objects of worship cannot hurt a Christian ( 1 John 5:18) as they can an unbeliever , they can certainly influence. For ex. Ananias was influenced by Satan ( Acts 5). My own experience with being surrounded by idols has many a times led to an experience of spiritual oppression in the form of strife and severe depression which I was able to overcome only with the word of God and others praying for me. While we should not overemphasize spiritual nature of everything and become too superstitious, I think there is reason to use discernment in dealing with occult objects. Finally, I would like to also stress the importance of walking in truth and a life of faith in Jesus is what will allow us to stand against every scheme of the enemy. I do not recommend building a theology based solely on experience unless supported by scripture. Hopefully, I have rightly applied scripture here. Look forward to any thoughts.

(C Rhodes) #7

Hi. I have to agree with Sean O the authority of the inanimate and animated lies in its meaning to us. In the ways in which things or people were utilized when we sin. For example television or streaming.

I have found that some things impact me differently. So, watching that becomes more like voyeurism are things I avoid, because the subsequent separation in my relationship with the Lord has never been worth the sinful engagement. That separation can come to me whether I am watching News or strictly Entertainment. For me the time away from the Lord caste me into dangerous and choppy waters. X-rated or R-rated shows are easy and obvious things to avoid. But four hours of Andy in Mayberry can produce the same sense of separation.

Sometimes I won’t engage in activities not because of their demonic authority, but rather their impact upon the lives of a younger, newer, or weaker member of the fellowship. Apostle Paul demonstrated this when he said if eating sacrificial idol meat offends my brother I will eat no more meat while the world stands.1 Corinthians 8:4-13 KJV. Just be careful of those who seek to use the word of GOD as means to control our living. I have a sibling that tries that often. That refusal to offend a brother is not universally defined. That is love and privilege for the “Household of Faith.” It occurs in our love and care for one another. Not in a desire to force certain behavior from one another.

Therefore, I would conclude. Demons can regulate their own behavior but they must have cooperation to regulate mine. Free will is a gift GOD requires all to respect.

(SeanO) #8

@Lakshmismehta Thank you for sharing your testimony and stories of people who have dealt with this issue. I think that is very helpful. If we sense spiritual opposition as a result of some book or object, then I think it is perfectly rational to dispose of such a thing. I do not have personal experience with such objects - but I have felt spiritually oppressive forces. I always find that worship and prayer are the best weapons in such situations.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #9

@SeanO, appreciate the feedback. These kind of uncommon spiritual experiences are not always received well. Thanks for the note.

(SeanO) #10

@Lakshmismehta Indeed.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

(Lauri Jones) #12

So, I would be especially careful to avoid keeping objects that were used as a part of a ritual worship in another religion.
Does that include the Christmas Tree?

(SeanO) #13

@Lauri I don’t think you need to be worried about Christmas trees. If I understand @Lakshmismehta correctly, she is referring to objects that have actually been used in some sort of pagan ceremony. Also, if you study the history of Christmas trees they also have a Christian meaning. Here are a few articles you may find helpful. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

The most likely theory is that Christmas trees started with medieval plays. Dramas depicting biblical themes began as part of the church’s worship, but by the late Middle Ages, they had become rowdy, imaginative performances dominated by laypeople and taking place in the open air. The plays celebrating the Nativity were linked to the story of creation—in part because Christmas Eve was also considered the feast day of Adam and Eve. Thus, as part of the play for that day, the Garden of Eden was symbolized by a “paradise tree” hung with fruit.

There is no connection between the worship of idols and the use of Christmas trees. We should not be anxious about baseless arguments against Christmas decorations. Rather, we should be focused on the Christ of Christmas and giving all diligence to remembering the real reason for the season.

https://www.gty.org/library/questions/QA073/should-christians-have-christmas-trees

(Lakshmi Mehta) #14

@Lauri, sorry for the delayed reply. In my previous post I was referring to abstaining from objects that are clearly depictions of false gods, objects that have been actually used in pagan ceremonies and sacred texts derived through worship of false gods. I tried to provide reasons of how these can be either harmful or displeasing to the God of the Bible.

The issue of whether one should have a Christmas tree is much more complex. I have encountered this question only recently and have done only some reading on it. I think the choice of whether to have a Christmas tree depends on our views on the following questions:

1. What is the nature of pagan connection with the Christmas tree?
  2. To what extent can Christians adopt pagan customs for Christ? Can Christians assign new meanings to pagan rituals?

Here are a few resources that I found on the pagan connections to Christmas tree to know more in depth. I am still trying to sort through the information. The Christmas tree in its present form seems to be a mishmash of both pagan and secular traditions.

1. Book: Christmas In Ritual and Tradition, Christian and Pagan by Clement A. Miles Published in 1912. Here’s the online link to it: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/19098/19098-h/19098-h.htm
  2. Pagan traditions and Christmas.
    https://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-traditions.html
  3. Sol Invictus and Yule:
    https://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-Saturnalia.html
    https://www.gotquestions.org/Yule-Christmas.html
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/calendar/invictus.html

When it comes to adopting pagan customs, I think the Bible places no restrictions on adopting any of the customs of the pagans that are non-religious and we are free to use any of the things God created in nature. The question is whether an object or custom used in worship of pagan deities is then incorporated into the worship of God, not whether someone ever attached inaccurate religious significance to the object or custom. I think the Bible is clear on abstaining from pagan practices of spiritual significance or adopting those customs for worship or for honoring the true God. We are also called not to establish our own traditions to worship God. We are to be set apart from the world for God and not cause others to stumble. If something was offered to other gods though, we can receive it with prayer and it is not automatically sanctified. Here are some verses worth thinking further about regarding this.

1 Tim 4: 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5 for it (food offered to idols) is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.
Deu 12:31 beware that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How do these nations serve their gods, that I also may do likewise?’
Gal 4: 9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years.
Col 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
2 Cor 6: 16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, “I will dwell in them and walk among them; And I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 17 “Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord. “And do not touch what is unclean; And I will welcome you.
Mark 7:9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition”.
Rom 6;15-16 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
2 King 17:35 with whom the Lord made a covenant and commanded them, saying, “You shall not fear other gods, nor bow down yourselves to them nor serve them nor sacrifice to them…… 41 So while these nations feared the Lord, they also served their idols.
John 4:23-24 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

I come from a Hindu background. If I went through the motions of Hindu worship such as yoga as described in Hindu scriptures for Jesus, I am still following the teachings of another god. I don’t think I am setting myself apart. This has been a lot to think about. Whatever our convictions on the Christmas tree, the Bible is very clear about extending grace to others and calls us to practice discernment. (Rom 14:10, 1 Thess. 5:21). I also find comfort in knowing that we are all judged according to our knowledge (Rom 2) and if we do sin unknowingly we have Jesus our advocate. May the Lord guide us and increase our knowledge.

(Andrea L) #15

Dear @JesusIsEverythingOrNothing,
I’d add a few more books to your list - I think the best to read them in this order - they are getting deeper and deeper into the topic.
Derek Prince: Blessing Or Curse: You can choose
Derek Prince: They shall expel demons
Frank and Ida Mae Hammond: Pigs in the parlor
Eddie & Alice Smith: Spiritual housecleaning

I was heavily involved in the new age, such as foretelling and other things, God delivered me from quite deep. This means that I was aware about the spiritual realm, including the existence of demons, when I chose Jesus as my saviour. As a former catholic I had some knowledge about Jesus and salvation, of course some of these needed to be corrected later on, so given my background in the occult the first books I was given to read after being saved were the Blessing or Curse: You can choose, and They shall expel demons by Derek Prince. These books (read in this order) provided me with the knowledge to be able to identify what actions I had to stop immediately as they belong to the occult without knowing it (e.g. reading horoscopes) and which ones I had done in the past (e.g. foretelling) I needed to repent . Although with my family we moved literally across the Earth, I still have these two books, and time to time I re-read them – the range of occult is quite board so I find it useful to refresh my knowledge on it.

There are two other books which over the years came on board in the topic of deliverance: Pigs in the parlor (by F.J.Hammond) and Spiritual Housecleaning (Eddie and Alice Smith). I found all these four book very useful to understand how the evil operates through seemingly harmless things that finally end up in a slippery slope sliding into the occult (as it happened to me although being a professing Catholic), and also using them as a regular check-up. They all include prayers as well, which are helpful on a personal or even family level.

Based on my experience, I can tell that neither salvation (accepting Jesus as my saviour), nor water baptism, and not even receiving the Holy Spirit means instant and full deliverance from demons. Which means, that as a born-again Christian, I still had demons within me, but because the Holy Spirit has been dwelling in me, they cannot possess me but can oppress me, and whenever I opened a door that made legal ground to them to enter (even after my salvation) they did. What I can tell on the other hand, that God has been so faithful, and keeps delivering me from them – I am sure He is careful when and which ones to make sure it does not destroy my identity. There have been times I asked Him to act, and there were times when it happened spontaneously – such as during worship time when the presence of the Holy Spirit was so strong that I just started coughing them out and feeling the release of pressure.

I think one of the most important thing regarding this topic is to find the balance: not everything is because of demons and curses, but their existence should not be denied either. These books are good guidelines to show where one might have opened doors unwillingly, but they definitely do not replace God. I still need to keep seeking Him, His wisdom, but as I can see now it is my responsibility to do my best to keep myself safe, which is hard if I cannot recognise how and in what areas the evil can operate.

I hope these help.
Blessings
a.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #16

@andrea.l, thank you for sharing your testimony. Praise God for bringing you from new age to Christ. Are there any specific bible references that these books give to explain the concept of legal ground which you have found helpful? It came to me as a surprise that you felt you had an oppressive force within you even after accepting Christ. I would think it would leave right away because of the holiness of God’s Spirit promised to those who believe. I would like to understand this better. Thank you.

(SeanO) #17

@Lakshmismehta I think it is clear from Scripture that if you have the Spirit of God within you there is no room for evil spirits or the evil one. Where Jesus is, evil is not. Even if you are assaulted externally by evil spirits, if we humbly submit to God they flee.

Mark 3:23-27 - So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #18

@SeanO, thank you for the quick response. That’s the promise as a believer I have rested on when surrounded by those worshipping other spiritual forces.

(Catlin) #19

I’ve had a very similar experience to Andrea. I was heavily into the occult and have been told that it’s not surprising that I experienced intense spiritual warfare after coming to Christ because of this. I was delivered immediately from a lot of things after my dramatic born again experience. There have been other things that took longer. 6 months after I had an extreme repentant experience given by God where I bawled my eyes out for 45 minutes and felt the full gravity of my sin and was heaving repeatedly (didn’t realize until later that I was probably expelling something). After this I was immediately hyper sensitive to my sin which was quite the gift from God. I didn’t know this was possible or what it meant at the time so it was definitely authentic. It’s been a year and I’m still feeling oppressed in certain ways and being attacked regularly (sleep paralysis for 2 months straight at one point). From my multiple spiritual experiences straight from God it is quite clear that he delivered me from things later multiple times.

My mother has occult objects everywhere in the house and Ive been continually finding things of my own to get rid of. I experience an intense confusion and cloudiness and fear very regularly in the house but the more I seek the Lord first and the more I humbly submit to him, it is lessening. But I would say this includes spiritually cleansing our house. I think there’s a reason getting rid of idols is mentioned so many times in the Bible and why they burned the books in Acts 19. I feel it is a way to renounce your old life and rid yourself of the demonic ties and fully submit to God.

Sean, as for being possessed I would agree with you. But it is not clear whether it says some demons can’t stay latched on or continue to oppress us as we continue to root out sin. Just one example, in Ephesians 4:27 Paul warns that bitterness and unforgiveness keeps a place for the devil in our hearts. This can make us susceptible to oppression. If there was no room for the evil one immediately after we receive the Holy Spirit then I don’t see why he would have given us instructions like rooting out unforgiveness to give no place for the devil and burning the occult books in Acts 19. Yes the enemy cannot take away our salvation and I think that is possibly what your quoted scripture is referring to but we are given many instructions to stay protected and root out sin and the enemy. Regardless of whether I’m being oppressed from the inside or the outside, it’s definitely happening and I’m attempting to figure out how to best protect myself and glorify God without giving too much focus on things that don’t matter but everywhere I turn it seems to make much more sense that we still have work to do in regards to oppression after being born again especially with Occult pasts to let us glorify God to our best ability. It appears that repentance, living righteously by rooting out sin, worship, putting on the full armor of God, learning His Word, etc. can all contribute to rooting out any holds on us or protect us against oppression.

(Catlin) #20

I should have read everything before replying to your other post as I see we quoted the same scripture! I would agree very strongly that these objects aren’t to be feared or given too much importance which is exactly why I asked this question to assess how much it should be given. I agree with your prescription as it is fully biblical yet I do feel that these objects can have power in the same sense sin can have power as I believe both of them keep a place for the enemy to oppress us and hinder our walk with Jesus. I would say simply get rid of them or burn them if possible without giving too much focus, repenting of our sin of using/keeping these abominations to God and praying for protection then having our main focus on the Lord and fully serving him.

Sadly, I’ve learned the hard way not to give these objects too much focus. I guess it was more difficult as I don’t want my unsaved family to continue to be oppressed by them. Displaying something demonic on the limited space of your wall for everyone to see instead of something pleasing to the Lord is literally the definition of venerating or worship as it means placing importance on and putting it above God. My self-professing Christian mother chooses to keep because of her pride them even though she has been told what they are. This has been hard for me to handle and led me to place much more importance on them than I normally would have if it was just my own objects to quickly get rid of.

(Catlin) #21

Thank you guys for the responses, I will answer more when I have some time!