Old Testament and New Testament

Hello everyone,
I often get bogged down by the seemingly radical differences between the old and new testament, given the sketchy understanding of the context in which old and new testament are presented I would like to get some ideas and inputs here.
My question particularly here is:
How can we reconcile Mosaic laws in the old testament and Jesus’ teachings in the new testament, in the light of the fact that every single word in the the Bible is True and a living word of God? For instance in Leviticus, according to mosaic law any one who violates God’s law must be put to death; Leviticus 20: 1ff.

1 Like

@Tsilise Good question :slight_smile: To address your specific comment, sin results in death in both the Old and New Testament. However, in the Old Testament, God was literally dwelling within the Israelite camp. In order for God to dwell there, the people had to be holy - set apart. The presence of God within the community resulted in punishments that were more immediate than the Day of Judgment.

Think of Ananias and Saphira in the New Testament - they were struck dead for lying to God. Because God is holy, having His presence within us, or in within the camp in the case of the OT, creates a space where consequences for sin may be more immediate.

The law in the Old Testament was a tutor until Christ came to show us our need of Him. The law was given by God to a specific people within a specific context to help them work out what it meant to love God and love neighbor in their context. But ultimately, the law points us to Christ and our need for a new heart in order to keep the law of life in Christ Jesus.

Here are some videos from the Bible Project that may help you think through these issues a bit more.

If you still have additional specific questions, please do share.

1 Like

Thank you. It is concise and videos powerfully connect the Old Testament and New Testament as cognate with all precision.

1 Like

@Tsilise Great! Hope it cleared things up :slight_smile: Please do share any additional questions. The relationship between the OT and NT in terms of covenant is explored in depth in Hebrews, so that book may be worth studying a bit as well.

1 Like