Old testament/new testament

Hello everyone,
since I read the passage where Jesus told his disciples that he knows who was going to betray him. I’ve been thinking: haven’t judas been deprived from his freedom? wasn’t he meant to betray jesus so that “the scriptures could be fulfilled” as jesus always said.
And this thing of the scriptures, doesn’t it seem as God has written a “scenario” in the old testament through the prophets, and in the new testament each one including jesus where actors deprived from their freedom and obliged to abide by the scriptures?
And otherwise God would have been wrong. So for example when Jesus told his disciples that judas was going to betray him, judas had no option, couldn’t he just change his mind in the last minute and not betray his teacher? But if he did so, jesus would have stated something that didn’t happen!!
even when they came to capture him and peter drew his sword to protect him he told them :" Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?” -Mathew 26:53-54.
So did jesus not appeal to his father just to fulfill the scriptures or rather to save the world from its sins? This correspondence between what the prophets said and what really happened doesn’t reflect kind of obligations? and therefore the violation of the freedom of will?

2 Likes

Hi Gabriel
The subject you are bringing forth also has many other examples that question whether God interfered with Free Will. Another primary example is God hardened Pharaoh’s heart. The classic answer to these issues is that Fore-Knowledge does not mean intervention or control. As an example: You see two cars approaching an intersection perpendicular to each other at high speed and you think there will be a crash. And then there is a crash. Your fore-knowledge that there would be a crash due to the circumstances you see did not cause or result in the crash taking place. The same is true for God on a much grander scale. God has total knowledge of everything that exists as God created all things. This includes creating creatures, like angels and mankind, that have free will. God in His knowledge can foresee all the actions and decisions of these creatures with free will.

The next question is then if God creates everything why does He place within a creature the nuances and individuality of a free will creature’s personality that result in the free will decision to reject God and His Goodness? The only answer to this is: It is for God’s Glory. I know this answer seems unsatisfactory, but only God can understand why God does something? Scripture is a writing of God’s Revelation. This means that there is presented information that is beyond our logic to rationalize events. The question you put forth I believe belongs to some extent in this category. On the other hand it also reveals that we who belong to Christ should get on our knees and thank God that He made us the way we are as individuals with a personality that makes the free will choice to accept God’s Grace and Goodness.
Ultimately we can only know the What God has Made, but never will fully know the Why God has Made. The why can never be fully understood by any created being.

Hope this helps. I too have struggled in the past with this issue
Dan

1 Like

Good evening, @Gabriel - I agree with @dan0647 that foreknown is not fore-determined.

The reason is because God isn’t limited by time as we are. To say He’s eternal means more than that He’s been around forever. Just as His omnipresence means He’s everywhere at once, His eternality means He’s “every-when” at once. He’s the eternal I Am (present tense). All times are simultaneously present to Him.

Einstein once said that “time is what keeps everything from happening at once.” But, of course, God can handle everything at once - He doesn’t need time to help Him sort things.

So when we speak about God’s “fore-knowledge”, we’re speaking from the human point of view. From God’s vantage, He’s already there in all your tomorrows; He still remains in all your yesterdays. From where He sits outside of time, there is no future, no past - He is the ever-present One. What lasted for you as one day, for Him has lasted a thousand years - and even that is an understatement!

So did God know what Judas would do centuries before Judas did it? Well, from Judas’ point of view you could say it that way. But from God’s point of view, He has been watching Judas do it throughout all eternity. And, as C. S. Lewis once so quaintly put it, “to watch someone do something is not at all the same as to make him do it.”

1 Like