On A Leash

Can someone help me?

Earlier this year my Aunty came back from a Hillsong Conference, and she stated she had a vision from my Dad, saying to my mother to let my three brothers and I go. To me, it was an answer to a previous prayer where I had no opportunities to practice this skill I wanted to have so badly because I thought it could be a great tool for my calling of me becoming an apologist. due to my mother wanting me to help with the family.

In this vision; Dad said that he wanted my mother to let go of my brothers and I, because we were in Gods hands. We got confirmation it was Dad because the attire he was wearing in the vision was what he was buried in last year, December 13th, and my Aunty had never been to the funeral/seen the body beforehand.

Now it feels like every time I’m stuck on a leash even while on this Kibbutz, away from my Mum, because I can’t learn skills that I want to learn, and because i feel so strongly a fear that she won’t let me go, because of her high expectations to help with the family, and I feel so much pressure, especially getting into a career straight after this gap year I’ve had. I know she’s trying to look out for me, but I can’t help but FEEL like she won’t let me go. Can someone help me? I feel like running away. I appreciate honest feedback, good or bad.

Apologetics is something I’ve felt called to, and I don’t want that to change into something else.

This is a seperate question, but is a calling a desire that grows into a strong obsession, or can that be a distortion due to my human nature?

2 Likes

On a seperate note, I’ve noticed that my family’s theology might be grounded on three things that are not the Bible/Potential Idols:

1. Honour and Respect for the Family

2. A Prosperity Gospel that says that God is only there for your convenience, that he created your mind so that we may live better lives for ourselves

3. That faith is nothing but mere belief, it requires no reason in order for it to be true.

How should I deal with this?

1 Like

Hi Villami,
I’m sorry to hear of your Dad passing away. This must have been difficult for you and your family.

this sounds like a fairly complicated situation. You’ve covered quite a lot of ground in your post reaching into many areas of life.

Would it be possible to separate out some things into different areas?

Prosperity Gospel
I’d guess you’ve done some reading about the Prosperity Gospel; and I’d agree simply that Jesus did not come to die on the cross, in order that we might have some extra dollars in the bank or have a healthy happy life. Jesus came to die, in our place, that we might be brought back into a relationship with God. Do you have some additional thoughts or concerns in this area?
The book of Job is a real eye opener - I really like the BibleProject ‘Wisdom’ series; how they showed in the book of Job that God’s ways are higher than our ways. (https://thebibleproject.com/explore/wisdom-series/)

Honour / Respect for Family (Becoming a man separate from your parents / while still having respect for them and honoring them.)

I would simply say here that as children, under our fathers and mothers authority, we are commanded to ‘Obey your parents for this is right’. But as we move out from under our fathers and mothers ‘umbrella of authority’ in their house (as it were), we are still called to Honor our father and mothers. So as children, we obey parents, as adults we honor them… It can become difficult, especially as parents age (not that this is your situation) to make difficult decisions for their care and still honoring them as parents and people. Does this help a little?

Faith is nothing but mere belief.
One of my favourite authors, Lennox has written so many books. Faith that is mere belief, could be called blind faith by some? Christianity is certainly not blind faith. I think that perhaps some people maybe are more skeptical by nature and logical, and some are more emotional and feeling. Jesus says we are to love and worship Him with all of ourselves, including our mind.

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Lastly.
What are your thoughts and personal convictions from God’s Word on people having visions? This page seems to make some good points. It seems that while people do have visions, where there is no access to a Bible, it seems slightly questionable regarding a specific message from your Dad via your Auntie. It may be part of the grieving process for your Auntie, as sometimes dreams are not visions but rather our own minds trying to work through very difficult situations including grief? Obviously, I cannot say specifically as it is seems to be a difficult situation, and I don’t know any of your circumstances or family dynamics.

Will be thinking of you and praying for you during this time. Keep your focus on Jesus, as it says in Hebrews 12:1-3

Kind regards
Matt

3 Likes

Hi @AlphaOmega. The link about visions that @matthew.western gave you is a good link. It is a very touchy subject when you bring up visions and dreams. I myself believe profoundly that God still speaks this way but a dream or vision from God will not lead you in a way that is unbiblical and there is no new revelation pertaining to scripture which is complete.
I don’t know all the circumstances but it doesn’t “appear” that your Aunty is being unbiblical.
Something that did stand out to me in your post:

If you believe this, and if the vision is authentic, then you will have to practice your faith/trust muscles.
__James 1:5-8 "5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.__
And __ Phillipians 4:6__ is one I always quote.
I hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Matt
Thanks so much for your feedback.

Prosperity Gospel
For the Prosperity Gospel, all I know so far is that it’s a gospel centred on personal gain. I’ve already watched the Bible Projects video on Job, as well as answers from Francis Chan and looking at the evidence for the ressurrection, specifically on how the Apostles died for this message and gave up everything (Crossexamined.org), and I’ve come to the conclusion that people like Joel Olsteen are untrustworthy and must be avoided (I’ve also noticed mentions of scandals on their part, so that’s also evidence against them)

Honor and Respect for Family

This definitely helps.

**The Dream and if it’s Biblical **
I don’t really have a Biblical view of dreams and visions yet, but my friend and I are studying the book of Daniel, so I’ve asked if we could go through my Aunty’s vision to see if it is. My friend is a Protestant Theologian Seventh Day Adventist.

1 Like

this might also be a topic of interest on the forum… Nabeel Qureshi, a RZIM apologist, who during his conversion from Islam to Christianity had a number of dreams, which had been interpreted by Muslims!

Absolutely It’s logical that God, our Heavenly Father who is Sovereign over all things, and loves us as His children, can quite easily use dreams to speak to us, and that He would never contradict Himself in His written Word (God cannot lie).

As is suggested in the thread, it would be wise not to dabble with anything that was seeking to predict the future (fortune-telling, mediums etc), or anything connected to the New Age. It’s clear in Scripture this is not of God (https://www.gotquestions.org/channeling-Bible.html)

Regarding the Prosperity Gospel, these 5 points from this page are of help I think outlining the issues.

1. The Abrahamic covenant is a means to material entitlement.

2. Jesus’s atonement extends to the “sin” of material poverty.

3. Christians give in order to gain material compensation from God.

4. Faith is a self-generated spiritual force that leads to prosperity.

5. Prayer is a tool to force God to grant prosperity.

1 Like