On early church father Papias and the gospels (St.Mark and St.Matthew)

Dear Sir,

Bart D.Ehrman says/said that: the early church father Papias (of Hierapolis) who attests to the witness/witnesses of St.Mark ( who is also known as the close companion of St. Peter) and St.Matthew ( the disciple of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ of the christians Bible), but in fact, there are very solid reasons for thinking that Papias who lived around 120-140 A.D, is not referring to our St.Mark ( who is also known as the close companion of St. Peter) or our St.Matthew (the disciple of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ of the Christians Bible) of the gospels of the Christians Bible.

Is it true that Papias (of Hierapolis) is not referring to our St.Mark (who is also known as the close companion of St. Peter) or our St.Matthew (the disciple of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ of the christians Bible) of the gospels of the Christians Bible? Is there any historical evidence /evidences or any solid reasons that Papias (of Hierapolis) is not referring to our St.Mark( who is also known as the close companion of St. Peter) or our St.Matthew( the disciple of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ of the christians Bible) of the gospels of the Christians Bible?

Here below I give the link of the short video clip by Bart D.Ehrman.

Is Bart D. Ehrman right?

Thank you.

4 Likes

Hey @JohnLemphung,

I’m not sure what sort of a straw-man argument Ehrman is trying to make here about Papias/Papyus, and unfortunately he was not able to go into more detail here. Perhaps someone has more insight and a citation on how he makes this argument more complete?

With regard to dealing with Ehrman’s well articulated skeptism, there has been some discussion here for sources to help with such debates:

I have not viewed it completely, but this one looks to discuss a bit of the reliability of the eye witness accounts in the Bible being by the people the books are named after:

Perhaps that can give you a starting point in rounding out some answers.

Sorry I don’t have better information at this moment on a argument specifically against Papais… :thinking:

5 Likes