On Muslim Claim

Hi everyone,

Why don’t Muslims believe that Jesus died on the cross or he(Jesus) was crucified?

Is there any historical evidences to there (Muslims) claim/claimed?

3 Likes

I have a link that is very helpful in the matter of answering Islam.
Isa the Muslim Jesus
This is an article by Mark Durie and if I am not mistaken he has been a guest speaker at several events that RZIM hosts in Atlanta.
I recommend the Answering Islam Site as a go to. This is from there “about us” statement.

Let our readers be Bereans. We want that Muslims come to faith because they become convinced of the truth of the Gospel through the soundness of the material we present, and we want our Christian brothers and sisters to develop their convictions about their own faith and about Islam for the same reasons: Because it is true.

A companion question to yours for me is this, Why is Isa (Jesus) in heaven and Mohammed still waits for the judgement? The Quran says this about the crucifixion,

Although Christians believe ‘Isa died on a cross, and Jews claim they killed him, in reality he was not killed or crucified, and those who said he was crucified lied (An-Nisa’ 4:157).

But the very next verse puts Isa (Jesus) in heaven in the presents of Allah.

‘Isa did not die, but ascended to Allah. (An-Nisa’ 4:158)

If I am not mistaken Mohammed does not even have the assurance of going to heaven. Then the next verse seems to confirm that Isa (Jesus) is alive and in heaven because he comes back.

On the day of Resurrection ‘Isa himself will be a witness against Jews and Christians for believing in his death. (An-Nisa’ 4:159)

3 Likes

Thats a helpful link brother Jimmy! Can i ask what is that Qur’an youre quoting An-Nisa’?

1 Like

your are welcome. It is a bit old school, by that I mean it has the look and feel of text based site but the content is reliable and evangelical as its stated mission is win the lost Muslim brother to the Jesus.
An-Nisa is the Arabic for woman. If youlook in a table of contents you will see that all Surahs have names, Surah 4 is An-Nisa.
Here is one of many links to an online Quran.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Outside of Muslim sources there isn’t any historical evidence of Jesus not dying on the cross. All the rest of history agrues against it. Here are some notes I have of historical references to Jesus being crucified.

—Reporting on Emperor Nero’s decision to blame the Christians for the fire that had destroyed Rome in A.D. 64, the Roman historian Tacitus wrote:

Nero fastened the guilt … on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of … Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome…

—Letters of Pliny the Younger to Emperor Trajan:

Pliny was the Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor. In one of his letters, dated around A.D. 112, he asks Trajan’s advice about the appropriate way to conduct legal proceedings against those accused of being Christians.[8] Pliny says that he needed to consult the emperor about this issue because a great multitude of every age, class, and sex stood accused of Christianity.[9]

At one point in his letter, Pliny relates some of the information he has learned about these Christians:

They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food – but food of an ordinary and innocent kind.

—Writings of Josephus, a first century Jewish historian (37-100AD):

On two occasions, in his Jewish Antiquities, he mentions Jesus. The second, less revealing, reference describes the condemnation of one “James” by the Jewish Sanhedrin. This James, says Josephus, was “the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ.” F.F. Bruce points out how this agrees with Paul’s description of James in Galatians 1:19 as “the Lord’s brother.” And Edwin Yamauchi informs us that “few scholars have questioned” that Josephus actually penned this passage.

As interesting as this brief reference is, there is an earlier one, which is truly astonishing. Called the “Testimonium Flavianum,” the relevant portion declares:

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he … wrought surprising feats… He was the Christ. When Pilate …condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared … restored to life… And the tribe of Christians … has … not disappeared.

The Antiquities of the Jews (18:63–64), with what is commonly believed to be additions by a later Christian translator in brackets:

“At this time there appeared Jesus, a wise man [if indeed one ought to refer to him as a man]. For he was a doer of startling deeds, a teacher of people who received the truth with pleasure. And he gained a following both among many Jews and among many of Greek origin. [He was the Messiah-Christ.] And when Pilate, because of an accusation made by the leading men among us, condemned him to the cross, those who had loved him previously did not cease to do so. [For on the third day he appeared to them again alive, just as the divine prophets had spoken about these and countless other marvelous things about him.] And up until this very day the tribe of Christians, named after him, has not died out.”

You can Google all these notes and research the history for yourself. Islam doesn’t have any outside supporting evidence that Jesus didnt die on the cross and even if he didn’t they still would have to explain who did and why Allah allowed the Jews and Christians to be fooled in first place. If Jesus did die on the cross Islam is false if he didn’t die on the cross then Allah is responsible for Christianity spreading and can’t condemn us for believing Jesus is God. The death burial and resurrection of Christ is the center of Christian faith so it wouldn’t make sense if Allah allowed so many to be fooled for no reason. Either way Muslims have a huge job of explaining and making sense of things.

1 Like

Thank you jimmy i havent studied that closely on the Qur’an as of yet.

2 Likes