On one New Testament scholar Robert Price claimed...Please help!

Dear sisters and brothers,

Please help!

New Testament scholar Robert Price writes that the Jesus myth theory is based on three pillars: first that there is no mention of a miracle-working Jesus in secular sources. second that the Pauline epistles, do not provide evidence of a recent historical Jesus and finally that story of Jesus shows strong parallels to Middle Eastern religions.

Is it true?
Is there any historical evidences to Robert Price claimed?
Do I need to worry about…?

Thank you.

Please help!

1 Like

And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”
Matthew 14:25‭-‬27 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/mat.14.25-27.ESV

This is one of the instances that Jesus referred to Himself as the “I AM” if you look at the Greek.

What Jesus said should actually read like this, “Take heart; I AM. Do not be afraid.”

1 Like

Thank you Sir!

I will never comprehend how anyone can think Jesus was a myth. There are mountains of historical evidence outside the bible to corroborate His literal existence. I dont think the people at that time would have formulated our calender on a myth. Reading the myriad of threads on this site alone is proof enough of similar thinking individuals with the same answers to refute his claim of a copy cat. Your thoughts?
Mike

1 Like

Hello @Kamei_Dan,
I’m so glad you brought your concern to Connect! I know there are some very knowledgeable people about your topic on here, and I hope they jump in!

I see that Dr. Price is a self described “Christian Atheist” which gives us a glimpse into his conflict and struggle. He is making up his own definitions from the start.

I am not a historical theologian, but there are philosophical and logical issues with Robert Price’s comments.

Claim 1: Is there a reason that the miracles of Jesus are only valid if they are also in secular sources? Should I expect to find validation for my math problems only if they are also in my history books? By definition secular sources are not concerned with (and even shun) information that is outside of material observation. It is actually one of the problems with relying only on secular sources for all assessment because it doesn’t usually attempt to answer immaterial questions.

I also am not certain that claim is true. I would call Tacitus a secular source and he mentions Jesus and his impact on followers in his records. And if Dr. Price rejects any secular sources that discuss Jesus, he needs to provide evidence for his rejection. One thing I’m seeing more and more is people who have certain authority, like Dr. Price, are being very irresponsible with their statements, and many are led astray because they seem to be authoritative, and not because they are delivering truth.

Here in the U.S. we had a blockbuster movie years ago called The Da Vinci Code. I didn’t consider it significant because it was a lot of fluff put out by a seemingly random author for the sake of making lots of money. Then I found out that people were all into the claims he made about Jesus in the book and movie. He literally made up his claims, and his claims are not backed up by historical record, but many people didn’t know that, and I am still encountering people who believe the inaccuracies promoted in that series!

Claim 2: Not sure if I understand what his claim is here…Is he saying that Paul didn’t preach the actual historical Jesus? Or that recent evidence rejects Paul’s Jesus?

Claim 3: Saying that Jesus didn’t exist or is fake because He has similarities to other parallels is pretty thin logic. Not only is Jesus very uniquely and specifically different in many ways from Middle Eastern parallels (offering salvation from sin’s punishment, forgiveness at no cost, etc.) but with that logic I should be able to claim that WWII didn’t happen because it’s so like WWI. Let’s just toss out what people have known all this time because it’s some kind of copycat.

Would you consider a course in Bible Apologetics?
The RZIM Academy has an upcoming course on the Bible and it’s history and reliability. You can take the course from where you are. I am registered for that class also! The link is here:

Do you enjoy reading?
There are SO many great ones to read on the topic from great minds. I bet many people would be glad to offer you some book recommendations. My only concern is that some of them are written a bit scholarly in dialogue and you get tired of reading. One of my recent favorites is
Cold Case Christianity by J Warner Wallace. He is a former atheist forensic, investigator who applied his knowledge of investigation and legal approach to the claims in the Bible. It is a very interesting read.

Keep asking questions!

7 Likes

@Kamei_Dan

Price at first glance, or first hearing, can seem to have a compelling case against the historical facticity of Jesus of Nazareth. However, his claims, and the claims of other so-called “mythicists” like Richard Carrier, have been responded to in abundance. Here is one book that I would highly recommend that answers some of Price’s objections, which are not new, and have been made going as far back as the old Religionsgeschichtlicheschule (School of Religions School) of Tubingen, Germany.

Also, here is Bart Ehrman, also an atheist, who actually debates Robert Price on this very issue:

In short, it is so unlikely that Jesus was “made-up” that only a very, very few scholars actually try and defend this position. So, don’t worry, there are bigger apologetical issues than these.

in Christ,
Anthony

6 Likes

I happened to read today an article by Dr. Craig Evans, a leading scholar on the historical Jesus that seemed to address the very topics you raise. So couldn’t resist posting it! :slight_smile: He discusses these topics more in depth in his book “Fabricating Jesus”.

Mythicism and the Public Jesus of History” By Craig A. Evans

God bless!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for you valuable inputs and insight sister. God bless you!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help and inputs sister. Yes, it will be worth to go through the article by Dr. Craig Evans too. God bless you too!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions Sir. God bless you!

2 Likes