On the early church

Dear Sir,

The early church in the 2nd century represented the two chief apostles of Rome St. Peter and St. Paul. So, they associated St. Peter version as written by Mark (St. Peter’s companion) and St. Paul version as written by Luke (St. Paul’s companion)
So, what they ( the early church in the 2nd century) are doing is they( the early church in the 2nd century) are naming this/these gospel/gospels in order to provide them with an apostolic credential.

Did the early Church in the 2nd century represented the two chief apostles(St.Peter and St.Paul) to give them( Mark and Luke) an apostolic credential fraudulently?

4 Likes

Hi @JohnLemphung,

I think I somewhat grasp what you are trying to say, but I could get you wrong as well. So please do correct me if I didn’t catch you properly.

Actually, attributing to the apostles are not fraudulent, but good practice of authorship. You always cite your sources, so that others can verify the source material, and double-check with the witnesses.

In fact, St. Paul went to learn from St. Peter about the gospel and the creed, and stayed for 15 days. (Gal 1:18-20). As Peter was the highest church authority then and the direct witness and disciple of Jesus.

By the 2nd century, these letters have already been copied and distributed around. Our archaeology has so far uncovered more than 5,000 copies of the Greek manuscripts. So, the early church couldn’t have fabricated or fraudulently assigned authorship without being heavily disputed or causing major dissent among all the other churches, who many were still acquainted and knew the original authors and have access to early source materials and copies to verify from.

So, short answer is NO, it’s not a fraudulent practice and the accusation is without basis.

Hope that helps. Blessings

5 Likes