One of the last questions Jesus asked

For her final talk this week on the questions Jesus asked, Dr. Jo Vitale explores one of the final ones he ever asked on this earth and how seeking to answer it can help untangle the confusion in our hearts.

Jesus makes it very clear that there is one reason and one reason alone why Jesus is going to ask Peter to be a leader in his kingdom and it all comes down to Peter’s love for Jesus.

That is the same question that Jesus asks of every one of us who want to play a part in building his kingdom and being a blessing to the world: “Do you love me?” if we can’t answer that then all the knowledge and intellect and experience and effort and successes become nothing more than deadly distractions.

There is so much that we can learn from Jesus’ questions about the kind of people we are called to be, as we’ve seen this week. To be those who give dignity rather than dishonor, who ask questions they aim for the heart, who invest in relationships that make us vulnerable, and who live lives that tell a true story about who God is. And most importantly, those who really love Jesus. Do we love him today?

Make it personal:

• How can we ask questions that “aim for the heart”?

• What is distracting you from loving Jesus?

3 Likes

Seeing a visible wound or scar left behind from a deep hurt and bringing it to the surface can be detrimental to a new relationship. Some will shut down and retreat. Sharing what you have heard or a personal hurt, trial can lead them to reflect on theirs and ask a question or see a possible answer that will help them through it.

Peter and Jesus had an in depth relationship.and with these our love compels us to lay things out in a loving caring non threatening way to bring restoration and healing.

Mike

2 Likes

I listened to all 14 “Take 5” podcasts. They were all something everyone should view. They were all so challenging and spoke to my heart so it is hard to single out Jo’s talk. However, her question of asking if we can look Jesus in the eye and say, “Yes Jesus, I love you” is a point that I’ll always treasure in my heart and one that anyone claiming to know Jesus should ask themselves.

1 Like

So many of my colleagues at work are atheists – they have decided we live in a godless planet run only by accidents. It is difficult to have patience and strength to respond calmly when the bulk of thinking is so secular, pluralistic, and so anti-God. Loving others is so important; I struggle with this.

Personally loving Jesus is easier.

Listening from the heart and the head at the same time may be a solution.

1 Like

Hi Victor, many, many obstinate people are out there in this day and age. Who have heard so much negative it is easier for them to deal with pain and hurt they see and experience by just saying that’s the way it is, all coincidence or happenstance.

Metaphorically, banged my head against the wall a few time as well my friend.

May I share a few passages?

Mathew Chapter 13

1 Corinthians 3:5‭-‬9 NLT
After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God’s servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building.

2 Corinthians 9:6 NLT
Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop.

I have been told by a few after the fact,
I didnt agree with you but I respect you now, because you told me the truth when I didnt want to hear it. And then said dont stop!

That "God shaped hole needs the right sized piece and his name is Jesus.

You and I may never see all the increase here but will there when many walk up and share in Heaven a thank you just for being that bright spot in my hopeless life.

Yes I genuinely believe this will happen!
Mike

1 Like

Thanks for the scripture - spot on – after sharing good news some patience and long suffering would help carry us thru our seed planting. Thanks friend.