Opinion, Believe and Convictions

Please I’d like to know what the difference between this terms (Opinion, Believes and Convictions)
are in relation to the Christian world view.
Reference podcasts or links will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

2 Likes

@Aluwong1980 I think you’ll find the following article helpful :slight_smile:

Levels of Doctrine

It may be helpful for you to think about levels of doctrine. Oftentimes different denominations agree on absolutes, but they disagree about convictions. And that is why they start new denominations.

1. absolutes define the core beliefs of the Christian faith;
  2. convictions , while not core beliefs, may have significant impact on the health and effectiveness of the church;
  3. opinions are less-clear issues that generally are not worth dividing over; and
  4. questions are currently unsettled issues.

Where an issue falls within these categories should be determined by weighing the cumulative force of at least seven considerations:

1. biblical clarity;
  2. relevance to the character of God;
  3. relevance to the essence of the gospel;
  4. biblical frequency and significance (how often in Scripture it is taught, and what weight Scripture places upon it);
  5. effect on other doctrines;
  6. consensus among Christians (past and present); and
  7. effect on personal and church life.
2 Likes

@SeanO. Thanks for your kind response. God bless you real good :pray:.
Are you following the discussion on women covering their hair during worship, I am just wondering if this principle can be applied to determine the significance of the matter at hand🤔?

2 Likes

@Aluwong1980 My summary on this issue would be: No, wives do not need to wear head coverings today. Paul urged wives to wear head coverings because in ancient Greco-Roman culture wives wore a head covering to honor their husbands / symbolize modesty . I would also point out the word translated woman here can be translated simply as wife or wives.

And yes, I think when we are dealing with difficult Bible passages where interpretation is uncertain, then we must leave our conclusions in the realm of opinion or conviction — not absolutes.

Sam Storms Article

The gist here is that in Greco-Roman culture a wife covered her head to honor her husband. Women who did not cover their head in that culture - at least some of them - may have been openly declaring that they, like men in those days, could be promiscuous. Therefore Paul urged the women to cover their heads to honor their husbands within that culture and to avoid being suspected of promiscuity.

These quotes are from theologian Bruce Winter:

“A woman’s covering her head socially indicated that she was married. The thin head scarf or head covering symbolized a married woman’s modesty and chastity and submission to her husband. It was one way in which a wife honored her husband.”

“A new kind of wife was emerging at this time in the Roman world – one who rebelled against the cultural milieu that allowed husbands but not wives to be sexually promiscuous. One way in which such wives would flaunt that freedom was by removing their veils. So a Christian wife should not deliberately remove her veil while praying or prophesying during a time of corporate worship because that would contentiously identify her with these other promiscuous women.”

1 Like

@SeanO. Thank you sir, you have been a source of help & encouragement in my time of need. God bless :hugs:

1 Like

@Aluwong1980 Glad to hear :slight_smile: May the Lord Jesus bless you richly above and beyond what you could ask or imagine and fill you with a spirit of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of Him who alone reigns over all things and shed His blood for the redemption of our sins!

1 Like