Opposing Morals

(Christian Rodriguez) #1

There are many different cultures around the world with different perspectives on life. This leads to different views on things such as morality. A friend of mine refuses to believe the gospel because opposing morals in the world exists. For example: Christians believe murder is wrong, yet some Islamic sects believe it is necessary. These contradict. Especially nowadays, different groups love to pick and choose what they want to believe, so who do you know is right?

How would I tackle this subject with my friend? “Opposing Morals”

(SeanO) #2

@Christian_Rodriguez What sets Christianity apart is that it’s not about a list of rules or an eight fold path - it’s all about a Person. The Truth is a Person. The Bible claims that the reason people disagree on morality is because we have distanced ourselves from God, who is the source for all that is good, and made up our own morality. In fact, if we go back to the Garden of Eden, what did Adam and Eve do when they sinned? They reject God’s Word and His morality and chose to define right and wrong for themselves.

So your friend is right that people disagree about morality. But why do people disagree? Why is there so much confusion surrounding right and wrong? We disagree because we have distance ourselves from the source of true morality - God Himself.

You might be able to make an argument something like the following:

• if we have no source of absolute moral authority than anything goes - we can declare nothing - no act, no matter how heinous, wrong
  • but we know that some things - the murder of the innocent - are utterly wrong
  • we need an absolute source for morality that transcends culture to declare something wrong
  • Jesus claimed to be the Way, the Truth and the Life - God Himself - the only One who can be that absolute
  • Jesus’ life, death and resurrection are utterly unique - the cross is the fulcrum of history - justice and mercy reconciled through God’s sacrifice - they are evidence that Jesus is the One who can save us from moral ambiguity and meaninglessness

I don’t know your friend. If he believes in God that makes the discussion easier. If not, he may fall back on the existence of God. Either way, I think ultimately we need to point people to Jesus and invite them to come to Him. Because without Christ in our life, it is very easy to get confused and struggle to discern truth. Salvation is so crucial to right thinking on issues of morality.

RZIM Resources

You may find this video from Ravi and Abdu Murray’s book ‘Saving Truth’ very helpful on this question.

Romans

If we read Romans we see that cultures who choose to reject God become futile in their thinking and are unable to discern good from evil. It says elsewhere in the Bible that they call good evil and evil good (Isaiah 5:20) and approve of those who do evil in spite of knowing the good.

Romans 1:21-25 - For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Romans 1:32 - Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Reaching Nineveh

In Jonah we find that God is seeking to reach a people who do not ‘know their right hand from their left’. That is a way of saying that they do not know right from wrong. The solution is that they must come to know the living God.

Jonah 4:11 - And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

Helpful Threads