Original Biblical writings

(Valerie ) #1

I am seeking The source of the original Biblical writings and their translation so that I can have a discussion with a young man who has left the church and wants to talk about spirits and the original Bible text. Yes, I’m over my head but I figured that’s what this site is for.

(Jimmy Sellers) #3

Here is a very good link to a thread that has a wealth of information for you to use. God bless you efforts.

(Roger Greene) #4

Hi Valerie, you can do a very cursory study of the Bible or you and this young man can go incredibly in depth into it. I don’t think any book has been more studied, debated, and dissected than the Bible, so there is a wealth of information out there on the subject. You could probably dedicate your whole life to examining the origin, transmission, and translation of the Bible. So here is a surface explanation that I’m sure many members here can add on to…

In it’s most basic answer, you could say that the Bible is a collection of 66 books written over about 1,500 years by 40 different authors over a huge geographic area. Those authors came from numerous different socio-economic backgrounds, but aside from Luke, they were all Jews. The 66 books of the Bible are God Breathed (inspired by God) and revealed as such by their authorship, content, and power to transform lives.

The Bible we have today is a translation from the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic languages the books of the Bible was written in. We have thousands of manuscripts, fragments, letters, etc. that attest to the accuracy of our modern translations.

The New Testament manuscripts we have date back to within the lifetime of the eyewitnesses of Christ’s earthly ministry. The Old Testament manuscripts date back to well before the birth of Christ.

The process for how we got the Bible can be described as follows:

1. Revelation
  2. Inspiration
  3. Cannonicity
  4. Transmission
  5. Textural Criticism
  6. Translation

Each one of those areas could take a whole novel to discuss. The most helpful resources I’ve found on the subject are the following.

Compass Bible Church did a 13 part series on this which does an excellent job explaining. You can watch that series for free at the link below (scroll to the bottom of the page for links to the individual messages)

https://focalpointministries.org/product/origins-of-the-bible-series/

Also a great book on the subject: