Overcoming procrastination

One thing I know and am sure of myself amongst many is that I procrastinate a lot. It may feel like no harm done if I do but deep in my heart it eats me every time I feel the urge to do something but decide “oh well, can be done later, won’t be late”. Sometimes, I even procrastinate on a procrastination done before.
How does one go about dealing and overcoming this attitude?

2 Likes

Hello @Mein, this is an issue I can identify with. There is so much to do and it is easy to put some things off.

Some things that help me to improve in this area are:

1.Pray each day that you have the wisdom to use your time wisely.

1. Making a list of priorities helps when there are so many things that need to be done soon. Sometimes I make a list for the day, the week, or even up to a month. Your lifestyle and job will determine which is best for you. I am a stay at home mom with a lot of children and I answer mostly to myself, not an employer, so often I make a daily or weekly list as I need to remain flexible.

2. I learned about the Eisenhower decision matrix from my husband. I thought it a brilliant way to help decide which tasks get priority on a given day or week and which can be put off for a time. This article explains the matrix and how it is used.
    https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/eisenhower-decision-matrix/

3. Just this thought has helped me often, and that is to remind myself that I will not feel better about my accomplishments if I procrastinate. On the contrary, I always feel a sense of satisfaction or even relief when I pinpoint the thing I am inclined to put off and just go ahead and get it done. So I sometimes end up targeting the task I am least looking forward to and put it at the top of my list, realizing I’ll feel better about having it done.

“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭5:15-17‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I hope you can find something that helps you and God bless!

4 Likes

Take a decision.
Do schedule, 3 steps:

• Pray for help to God.
  • Take a decision
  • Don’t compromise to do things if you have a lot things that you have to do.
    Always manage your schedule.

Pray firts to God, so i say that, because i try to practice more discipline.

¨Disciplined people are the ones who get to achievements¨
Ravi Zacharias

You are not alone God, Jesuschris and Holy Spirit is with you, read Isaías 41:10.

Please say me:
how are you doing with your decision

2 Likes

Hello Mein, thank you for sharing a struggle and looking for some help, or insight? You are spot on my friend with 99% of people since the dawn of time. We all were sinners at one time and a sinner stays a sinner first and foremost because we are rebels when it comes to His truth. All sin not that procrastination is always a sin but at times can be.
My frustration starts with rebellion, which turns into procrastination, then I get discourage and if I dont nip it in the bud, I become defeated. Which is when I was devastated. :frowning:
This downward spiral that I have fell into many times has been a invaluable life lesson I have truly learned from.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13 NLT

I do today all I can because tomorrow there will be just as much more to do, so I try not to procrastinate on anything if i can help it? Hope my heartache will strengthen your heart? Be blessed my friend and take care🙏.
Mike

2 Likes