Pastor on money usage

My Pastor is raising money $40k, 36k will be to pay someone to Manage everything & the 4k will go to church district.
We are a 150-170 church, we still have debt & it’s a lot, Pastor is paid as Pastor & music director & both are his gifts! Managing people & money is not.
I’m torn because I do not agree with this individual making this amount of money, why? He is a great man Godly, but my spirit feels this is to much money?
I need help please.

1 Like

@william.baggett2 The answer to your question depends on a number of factors. It is also very subjective. Whether $36 thousand is too much depends on how much work this person does, what type of work, and what the going wage for similar work is in the geographic area. Managing anything takes time and requires special skills. It takes double the time if this person is managing both people and money. If this person is considered to be an employee of the church then this could be a low wage if it is a full-time position. How many hours and what kind of management skills does this task entail?

1 Like

I want to thank you for your reply. Here are a few other factors & some my own.
This church has never paid anyone doing this type of work more than $15k for a year. That individual no longer works at the church. Becky was her name, when Becky left the church 2 yrs ago it took 3 to 5 people to do what Becky was doing for the Pastor. Management and organizational skills is not our Pastors gift. And as Board memeber at the time we hired him to be our Pastor & music minister(he & his wife spent 10 yrs traveling with Bill Bright & Campus Cursade). In 2003 I retired as a MGR from Verizon. In 2004 my Pastor ask me to come on staff to help him in whatever I could. I served on staff as his right hand man for 13-yrs. I told him God has already gifted me enough in life, no pay.
Maybe this is my problem what I see is work that needs to be completed. But this individual just retired as well. My view, working to help the church sholud not always require money? Should someone be paid to do a job, “yes”, but it should be ones desire to work for the Lord/church as a means to give back first & if a small amount comes with it, call it another blessing!

I think the more I write this down the more I think it`s me?

Why? What you don`t know about Scott. From 2004-2017 Scott looged over 5000 hours & 15 years of volunteer work helping kids in hospitals, court rooms, reading programs in elementary schools, domestic violence, and many other environments. Utilizing my golden retrievers in Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) & teaching those who were interested in this work. At the same time logging over 5000 hours I was doing everything my Pastor needed me to do. Visiting folks in the hospital & head of benevolence which I funded myself a lot.
I probably should say Scott at age 4 was paralyzed with Polio for 120 days. I have extensive muscle atrophy on my right side of my body. At 66 Scott has post polio which is dictated by the severity of your polio. My body is failing fast & yet I can still out work the average.

Thank you for listening, but I believe I need to keep praying about this & wait for the right answer.

2 Likes

Scott, I appreciate your honest clarification. I have a few thoughts to share. First, I will outline some Biblical principles that apply. Second, I will show how they may apply in your church’s situation.

Ministerial staff have a right to proper and timely compensation for their labors. According to 1 Corinthians 9:1–18, Paul apparently had to address some bitter Corinthian gossip that he and Barnabas were not real apostles and, therefore, needed to work for a living. He boldly asserted that he and Barnabas had a right to claim compensation for their labors for the gospel, but nevertheless chose to decline it in order to remove that potential obstacle. He also writes to Timothy, “Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, ‘You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,’ and, ‘The laborer deserves his wages.’” (1 Timothy 5:17–18, ESV) God dimly looks upon those who do not timely pay laborers proper wages (Leviticus 19:13, Deuteronomy 24:14–15, James 5:4). These principles apply to everyone who serves the church. It is fair for a congregation to accept voluntary declinations of wages; it is unfair for congregations to expect people to work for free.

It is true that when Jesus sent the twelve out on a field experience he said:

“Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts, no bag for your journey, or two tunics or sandals or a staff, for the laborer deserves his food.” (Matthew 10:8–10, ESV)

Luke clarifies what Jesus meant:

“And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house.” (Luke 10:7, ESV)

Jesus was making the twelve exercise their faith. They received power to work miracles from God; they were freely to give of that power. They were not to use that power for their own benefit. God would sustain them through the beneficence of their hosts. Their hosts would provide them all that they needed. Their hosts would not short-change them. Congregations should pay their ministerial staff all that they need to take care of themselves and their families.

The fact that I work for free or little wage does not make anyone else morally obligated to do the same. That I work extra hard despite severe disability does not make anyone else’s effort less valuable. David rewarded those who stayed with the baggage equally to those who fought in a battle against the Amalekites (1 Samuel 30:21–25). Some among those who fought in the battle denigrated those who stayed behind. The writer called them “wicked and worthless fellows” (1 Samuel 30:22, ESV). We need to be careful not to let our accomplishments become matters of pride that cause us to think less of others.

I do not know the view from the inside, so I could be wrong, but looking from the outside it just does not feel like a very healthy spiritual dynamic. It seems from your description that the new person will be expected to do the work of a lot more than one person. It also seems that the pastor may already be doing the work of two people. I have never been to a church of between 150 and 200 congregants where the pastor also served as music director. Pastoring is a full-time job and then some. I wonder if your congregation may need to take another look at its structure and spiritual health.

I highly recommend reading Lead, by Paul David Tripp (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2020). It addresses some of the things that you are dealing with right now. Please keep me posted and let me know if I missed or misjudged anything.

2 Likes

Once again I thank you very much for your words of wisdom. I will continue to pray and seek the Lords wisdom.

Blessing to you.

1 Like