Paul LaPenna

Say hello…
Hello!
Where are you from?
Greenville, SC
What led you to join Connect?
A friend (Ty Hopkins encouraged me to go).
How do you hope to contribute?
Being a member of the community

6 Likes

Howdy Paul,

Great to have you on hear as an ongoing connection point post the EAP!

Rgds,

DV.

3 Likes

Hello @palapenna, thank you for introducing yourself to us. I see that you are a Neurologist. I am thankful for those in your field. My mom had Multiple Sclerosis and frequented the office of Dr. Mark Kozinn here in Ga. He took good care of my mom and she adored him.
I do hope to see you engaging here in the forums offering your thoughts and insight.
Take care :pray:t3:

4 Likes

Hello, Paul, and welcome to Connect. :slight_smile: It’s great to have you join us, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Welcome Paul! @palapenna
I hope you’ll enjoy looking around… lots of great topics out there!
Being in the medical field, I’m sure your perspective on some of the questions brought up would be helpful! :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Glad you are here! I’m very interested in your perspective and/or experience about bringing God’s word and love to the medical community and patient care. I’m struggling to figure this out.

1 Like

Alicia,

It is very challenging but I can share some of my thoughts.

I have three groups of people I try to reach. One group is my co-workers. I find many of the doctors I work with are burnt out and cynical. I consciously attempt to be kind in my interactions and not insult others, even under stress. I find that cynicism and speaking poorly of others takes very little effort and is an easy trap if we are not careful, especially because it’s so common in our profession. This approach has opened the door to personal relationships with other physicians which yields opportunities to share the faith.

Other opportunities to share faith arise in interactions with patients and nurses. I do the neurological emergencies and brain death determination at our hospital. Family and nursing are often at the bedside during these difficult times. I have come to know that no one is resistant to God in the face of death. I offer prayer in these circumstances and try to share the gospel. So far this has been fruitful and without negative consequences.

Last, I always have medical students with me and that is what I am most passionate about. This individual student will go on to influence and care for a great number of people. They have often been bombarded with false ideas regarding the incompatibility between faith and reason/science and religion. But now the student observes a seemingly intelligent scientist praying for the sick while simultaneously deploying all of his or her medical skills and knowledge. The apparent conflict begins to unravel and the student begins to have questions. Through God‘s grace I pray that we have answers.

I hope this helps. I have many additional thoughts but that is a start.

Paul

1 Like

Thank you Paul. This was helpful. I guess it is never easy, but you just persevere and see where it leads, and maybe sometimes you never find out.

I am a psychiatrist in a community mental health center in the poorest and most violence-ridden part of town. It is not unusual for my patients to tell me that they have recently had their grandchild shot and killed, etc. Drugs, single motherhood and absent fathers are the norm. It is overwhelming and discouraging at times. I am just a very small element in their world.

I am also a new Christian and struggle at times with the words to share, what to say, how to say it, how to offer love and the knowledge of God’s truth and way, without pushing them away in judgement.

Your words give me encouragement though to be more aware at each point in the day, with each interaction, to be mindful of whether I am walking in God’s light or something else.

Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Alicia

Sorry - I see my fingers typed Paula - I meant Paul.