Paul suggests all humans know of Gods existence, how can this be objectively true?

In Romans Paul says all humans know about Gods exsistence, so that we are without excuse.

How does this work in detail?

What about people with limited mental faculties?

Which out of all the arguments, the ontological, the moral, the design arguments is the most effective especially in ensuring anyone of any mental capacity can know God is there at least in the implicit sense?

5 Likes

I read the question am I correct, is Roman’s 1 what you are referring to?

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
Romans 1:16‭-‬32 NKJV

Just wanted to comment correctly to your question.
Mike

2 Likes

@Kriston139, that’s a great question. in my experience people with limited mental capacity have less trouble believing in God. it seems to come naturally to them. I think the problem lies with those of us who think clearly. We want everything explained we want to know, we want to be the judge. well there are some things that are impossible for us to know completely. One of those things is how God puts it into the heart of man to know Him. so the answer to your question I believe is that there is no human argument that would explain how God divinely puts it into the heart of mankind to know Him. we know that God is good and just and so I believe that those with a mental disability are not handicapped with an inability to know God because God will help them to know Him as well

1 Like

God has given all peoples for all time A Knowledge of God, BUT they may not know Jesus Yashua as Christ Messiah. For this reason, it is all the more urgent for us to follow the great commission to go into all the world and preach the gospel. For it is by hearing that men can repent. It is by hearing that man knows of messiah and not by believing first. For if one does not hear, how can one believe those words to be true? But if man is to think about his way, he will naturally come to realize that God directs his steps.

Thats the one!

Yes ive seen this too, I guess what im getting at is has God made belief in him accessible to everyone of all mental capablilities?

Hey @Kriston139,

It is true that Paul writes that God’s invisible attributes are understood through creation (Rom. 1:20, confer Ps. 19:1-2). Paul also writes that death has spread to all because have sinned (Rom. 5:12), and that no one is righteous (Rom. 3:10-12). The words used by Paul to understand mean an intellectual comprehension and realization of God being present, while outrightly rejecting any chance of having a relationship with Him.

I believe the mentally handicapped as those who have a reliance on others, just as small children and babies, who do not know good from evil (see also Deut. 1:39). God is merciful, gracious, and slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness (Exo. 34:6). He does not want anyone to perish (2 Pt. 3:9). I believe God’s character as one who listens to the cries of the oppressed and helpless (Exo. 22:22-24) would not reject the one who does not reject Him. I believe the scriptures do not support the handicapped (or babies for that matter) who do not have the capacity to understand or reject Him to be able to understand evidence of Him in nature, or held accountable for not being in the position to reject Him.

Let me know what you think about that, or if you have other scriptures that speak contrary to this.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying for me. The other commenter’s spoke well to the fact, we cannot deny God because there is evidence in creation. I commend you on your compassion for those with little or no understanding or mental wherewithal who struggle with reality. I am of the position that God is closer to individuals like that than we can even imagine. The less they understand in the natural, the closer He is. Jesus demonstrated His Fathers compassion and mercy with many who could not even communicate with Him or grasp who He was. Mark 9, Mathew 21 Luke 7, John 5.and others.
To further share I knew a physically, and mentally incapacitated boy who couldn’t speak, or do for himself but when he heard the name Jesus a smile would beam across on his face. Thank you for your caring question. Praying
Mike

2 Likes

@Kriston139. Yes He has. Absolutely due to the fact that he is good and just and he doesn’t change. His eternal attributes are the guarantee of his trustworthiness.

God holds people accountable for the light they are given - more light, more accountability - less light, less accountability - no light, no accountability.

Those whose only light is the creation will be accountable for the knowledge they rejected about the Creator - they are without excuse (Romans 1:18-21).

Those whose light was the moral conscience that condemned them from within will be accountable for their sins against their own consciences (Romans 2:14-15).

If they didn’t have the laws revealed in the Bible, they won’t be judged by what they didn’t have, but by what they did (Romans 2:12). But if they did have the Bible, then they’ll be judged by that standard.

If they had literally no witness through either the Bible, the creation or the conscience, then they are not counted as transgressors at all - Romans 4:15 says, “For where no law is, there is no transgression.” Romans 5:13 repeats that “sin is not imputed when there is no law.”

Who could possibly fit into this category? Infants or people who are mentally impaired. They are treated as innocents like Adam and Eve before they bit the fruit - they are essentially not lost yet.

Hope it helps!

3 Likes

Great biblical answer.
The word “conscience” (meaning “with knowledge”) also bears this out.

Conscience = Con + Science = With + Knowledge

1 Like

Then we are all like infants with no understanding because simply having the Bible as we know it today, we didnt see the events take place.

We are told about them. People who saw a risen Christ are without excuse since they saw it happen, their ‘faith’ could be put into action.

We on the other hand, are threataned with an invisible gun to our heads. Saying…

If you dont accept what the book says, dammed is your soul.

Now tell me… Why would I want to love a God who will condem my very sweet Grandad to hell?

He doesnt know, he doesnt reject it for not knowing. Theres nothing for him to reject.

Yet your God is going to send him to hell, seperate himself from love and for eternity he will remain there.

If thats what God is going to do, unlike my Grandadfather who doesnt hate God.

God would have my hatred for all eternity because of the crime he committed against my Grandad.

If God makes laws that he lives by or expect others to live by, then Im certain I can make values of my own.

That value being, I will never accept a gun pointed at my head. All God had to do was ask, and he would have had my unwavering trust and respect.

So tell me… Would you love a murderer who points cosmic guns at people and who makes the game so hard that most fail it?

People dont know God is there, those who do tell themselves that because thats all they have. Im not saying anything you guys dont already experience.

Its a fact.

And yet, if my facts turn out to be wrong and my worst fears founded.

If I go to meet my maker, all he will do is send me to hell.

If God is real, he saw me send this message tonight and only a just God would at least want to talk about it.

Not just say… Depart from me I never knew you.

Sorry pal… Your omnjscience kinda gets in the way of you denying that.