Paul vrs Jesus

How do you reconcile the difference in the teachings of Paul and that of Jesus (Paul taught redemption, forgiveness of sin not thru obeying the Law or acts but by believing in the death and resurrection of Jesus) while Jesus taught redemption thru acts of obeying the Law and the new Law of loving each other)

1 Like

If you read Galatians chapter 2 you will see that during Paul’s ministry he went back to Jerusalem and spoke with the apostles of Christ to make sure what he was preaching and teaching was correct. So if Paul preached grace it was because this was the correct gospel. If he wasn’t correct the other apostles would’ve told him so.

Galatians 2:1-2
The Council at Jerusalem

1 Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, accompanied by Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2 I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I spoke privately to those recognized as leaders, for fear that I was running or had already run in vain.

Jesus taught grace as well when he spared the woman caught in adultry (death penalty) , spared the woman who was bleeding and touched him to be healed (touching a woman on their Menstrual made them unclean according to the law) , or when he forgave the sins of the sick man in bed. He did not require these people to perform(alms, sacrifices, and sin offerings) and be perfect under the Old testament law. He knew we couldn’t keep that law thus the reason he came and died for us. Yes he requires us to follow his commands but then it leads you to ask, what are his commands?

Here’s an article that’s explains some of them.
https://carm.org/what-commandments-did-jesus-give-us

God Bless :blush:

1 Like

I am not sure that this is my understanding of what Jesus taught. I would offer the book of John as a starting place and a rebuttal to a works based relationship. Unless I am mistaken the over aching message was “believe”. I would go even further and suggest that people in the 1st century weren’t looking to be saved in the modern day Western church view, but expected to be rescued by living a righteous life, a rescue that was an act of Grace by a merciful God. It this view that Jesus refuted, tradition (oral Torah) and birthright ( elect not in the Calvinists sense) but a belief in the complete works of Jesus. I would even suggest that this was the conclusion that Paul arrived at.

I don’t want you to think that I haven’t thought these thought (Paul versus Jesus gospel )myself and I have even seen the perceived difference as a wedge issue when arguing against the faith.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Two things to consider - 1) Yeshua conquered the last enemy of this world, DEATH, thus seeking partnership with him is in effect having Faith in his death and resurrection. 2) Doing good deeds (obeying his fulfillment of the law) is proof of partnering with him and thus goes hand in hand with that faith.
Father gives us Love by His Grace and He expects us to reflect that Love to each other - That is what Faith in Yeshua’s death and resurrection is all about. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater Love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:12-13 Simply put, if you don’t love one another, you don’t have Faith in Yeshua’s death and resurrection.