Paul?

(Ashlyn Albers) #1

How do we know Paul was a true apostles? What if he was a deceiver?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

Before I attempt to tackle such a big subject what about Paul do you believe to be suspect?

(Ashlyn Albers) #3

Well, I guess I’m wondering if we can know if he really met Jesus like it says in 1 Corinthians. I know there’s some people who don’t believe Paul was a real follower, because he didn’t become a believer until after Jesus went back to heaven, so how do we know God really appeared to him?

(Ryan C Melcher) #4

Thanks for the question!

To be succinct Paul gave up 1) power and 2) status as a rabbi.

In addition, he clearly stopped persecuting the church and joined it. He also died for his faith in Rome. That’s a lot to give up and suffer for a deception.

That’s a shoot from the hip answer but one I believe is correct.

Cheers and blessings!

Ryan

(SeanO) #5

@Washlyn Here is another short list in addition to the excellent one already provided:

• Paul’s teaching is in agreement with that of Jesus
  • Paul was accepted as an apostle by the early Church
  • as @RyanMelcher noted, Paul surrendered his status and power and gave his life for Jesus
  • Luke reports that God did miraculous works of healing and casting out demons through Paul - not to mention that Luke the historian verified much of Paul’s testimony and life in Acts
  • Peter testifies that Paul’s writings are Scripture

Acts 19:11-12 - God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

2 Peter 3:15-16 - Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

(Ashlyn Albers) #6

Thanks guys, this was helpful! If anyone else has anything to add, it would be much appreciated!