Persecution and Christian Life

(Vili) #1

Hi all
Recently I just heard I guy on Facebook complaining about how there is more noise about Muslims dying because of their religion, and asks (of what I think) a fair question about why there are no complaints about many Christians in the same situation. My Mum and I started talking (which resulted in an Argument) because I pointed out that whilst this man’s complaint was fair, I assume that the reason why there is persecution for us is because we are followers of Christ, and that because He was persecuted, we should expect that this will happen to us.

But my mother disagrees on this, because she stated that no one should be persecuted based on their religion, and that my response to this seems like an ignorant wave of the hand to say that this should be expected.

So my question is, was my response okay, or is it really just disrespectful? And how can I do this discussion in an honest way, without looking like a jerk? I understand that what she’s feeling is right, because I don’t think it’s fair either for millions of us to be persecuted, but at the same time isn’t it the cost that we have to acknowledge as disciples of Christ?

Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like
(SeanO) #2

@AlphaOmega May Jesus grant you wisdom and understanding as you communicate truth and dialogue with your Mum :slight_smile:

I think you what you said - that we should expect Christians to suffer - is true, but it was not necessarily an appropriate response to your mother’s concerns. She is basically saying - “Hey, why aren’t we standing up for Christians who are suffering injustice?” And you responded by saying that we should expect to suffer, which is true, but it did not answer her question. Her question, I think, was “Who is giving a voice to Christians who suffer?”

I think that if it were me there would be 2 things I would want to do:

1 - Take some time and pray for these Muslim’s who are suffering with my mom. I think one concern I have when I hear people say things like this is that we should be glad when other groups who are suffering are being served - we should love others as we love ourselves.
2 - Maybe say something like, “I am so thankful for organizations like Voice of the Martyrs who give a voice to suffering Christians every day - let’s take some time and pray for people or give to this organization”

Not sure if that directly answers your question, but I hope those thoughts are helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Vili) #3

Sorry
I got into a conversation later after I gave this message, and I’ll admit I was wrong (since my argument again didn’t consider how Christians need to be protected even though the risk of persecution will still be there at some point in our lives, either overtly or through persecution) and I just kept repeating that same argument over and over again (so in the end Mum was right).

If I may though, do you know of any free resources that can allow a person to improve their thinking? I may not have any money, but I think maybe in the future this would be good potential reference.

1 Like
(SeanO) #4

@AlphaOmega Glad you guys had a good conversation :slight_smile: What type of thinking specifically are you interested in? Logic, Bible exegesis or any other specific category?

I like this book from J. P. Moreland and I believe it has some additional resources:

(Kenny) #5

Heys @AlphaOmega, that is a good question though perhaps a sensitive one indeed.

============

A good approach that I tend to use is to understand the “Why” behind the question is asked, rather than just focusing on just the “What” of the question. That is because behind every belief / question / statement, is a person who has latched on to certain values or understanding which unfortunately results them in having this POV.

As I do not know the full context of the conversation, it can either be:

1. Like what @SeanO shared, “Who is giving voice to the Christians?”

2. “Why should persecution be religion based? It should not even happen regardless of religion.”

I guess it is fortunate (and unfortunate at the same time) that the spotlight is on radicals that claim to do the bidding of Islam. Furthermore, with all that is recently happening between Israel and Palestine isn’t making it any better. As a result, any killings done by them is amplified to the whole world. However, the reverse is true as well, that any injustice done to them, is also broadcasted to everyone. In a weird way, it is like the saying, “Any publicity is good publicity nonetheless.”

============

In relation to persecution, it seems that the Christian faith is facing a very different persecution as compared to the Islamic faith.

The Christian faith deals with accusations of sexual abuse; or being too rich; or claims of erroneous theology. On the other hand, the Islamic faith deals more with extremists (and maybe others, but I am not that well informed of their current affairs).

While I can’t speak much for the Islamic faith, the Christian faith is persecuted because we believe in Christ. I don’t believe it is a cost for accepting Him as our Lord and Saviour, but it is a result of being in this world and not of this world. The bible never ever says that you will not go through difficult times.

They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit. (Jeremiah 17:8)

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (Ephesians 6:16)

A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you. (Psalm 91:7-16)

All these passages speak of the problems you will face (heat, fiery dart, fall). It doesn’t say that we won’t face problems in your Christian walk. But the good news is that it speaks of breakthroughs despite having these issues (does not fear, quench, shall not come near you).

============

Just thought I’d offer a different perspective on this matter. :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Vili) #6

Thanks @Kyrie

The second option you proposed was actually the context. I’ll admit though, I gave up because of lack of knowledge on how to respond. If anything though, I think it was my answer (which was again repeating my argument over and over, hence the above point).

But thank you for this

1 Like
(Vili) #7

Hi SeanO

This book I’m planning to get, but I’d like to know about any books on the basics of Logic and how to determine a logical fallacy. It seems fun when your able to play with reason :slight_smile: .

1 Like
(SeanO) #8

Here is a book that I think offers a good place to start - it has common logical fallacies.

(Vili) #9

:open_mouth: AWESOME !!! Thanks @SeanO

1 Like