Pets in heaven

(Joseph john la bianco) #1

First in heaven will we still have our memories from our time on earth
Or will it be erased clean with a new slate
I know we will know family and friends we crossed paths during our liferime
As too it is said there will be no tears or sorrow and god wants us to be happy and joyful
How i feel about it is this love is love…
Are there different levels of love
To be open and honest , i am a huge pet lover especially dogs
My time here on earth my dogs have been a blessing to me for the loyalty and unconditional love they give me
They know when am sad and when am hurting
I too love them for whar they mean to me
So if i do have my earthly momery then i would know the kind of love we shared.
I know the lord has all power and control and if i wanted to be reunited with them is this a strerch
Ive been told no animals are in heaven
Well when jesus returns with his angels on white horses
Loin shall sleep with the lamb etc…
Can someone help with this question

(Cameron Kufner) #2

Great question. I’ll answer this in a number of ways.

:black_small_square:Will we have memories of our time on Earth? Such as what we did for a living (career), Our time involved in the church/ministry, and the people we knew and loved? Answer: Yes.

:black_small_square:Will we remember/have memories of sins we committed on Earth? Answer: NO! We will know the only reason we are in Heaven is because of Jesus’ sacrifice, but all sins will be forgiven and remembered by God no more.

:black_small_square:Are there animals in Heaven? Yes, but I believe God placed them there in Heaven. I believe the animals in Heaven did not live a life here on Earth. I do believe that we will see animals in Heaven that God has set aside to comfort us that resemble/have same characteristics as the pet/pets we had on Earth.

Hope this helps. God bless!

(Matt Western) #3

Great response @CamKufner … and some further conversation regarding ‘do animals (pets) have a soul/spirit’ I asked the same question here and received a very good response from one of the RZIM speakers Bala which might be of interest ?? :slight_smile:

(Cameron Kufner) #4

I enjoyed that read. Bala made a lot of great points in his response. Thank you for attaching that thread!

(SeanO) #5

@Jlabianco The short answer is that animals are not made in God’s image, so it is hard to say. We should treat animals kindly. Proverbs says that a righteous man looks out for the needs of their animals and God gave Adam and Eve the challenge to rule over the animals and the earth with kindness and compassion.

Proverbs 12:10 - The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Lewis suggests that pets, through virtue of their association with their owner, might become something slightly more than if they were left in the wild. And that by virtue of their owner’s interaction with them they may gain some value not previously present.

I thought this article offered a good perspective on animals - we should enjoy them and be thankful for them, but recognize that they are less than both God and mankind:

Will our animals be in heaven? It’s best to be honest and say we don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if God, in generous wisdom, allows us to enjoy the company of familiar animals in glory. But we can be certain of two things.

First, we can be certain that if it will bring God more glory and help us to enjoy him forever, then God will reunite us with our pets. God knows what good gifts to give us, both now and forever (Luke 11:13). As Paul reasons, “He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?” (Rom. 8:32). God knows what’s best for us, so we can trust him.

Second, we must guard our hearts and not allow love for pets or animals to diminish our affection for God. No matter how good a gift is, only he—not the gift itself—is worthy of our devotion. Pets included.

C. S. Lewis

Lewis has some interesting quotes suggesting that humans might endow certain more intelligent animals with qualities not naturally belonging to them in some way. Thought provoking.

The real difficulty about supposing most animals to be immortal is that immortality has almost no meaning for a creature which is not ‘conscious’ in the sense explained above. If the life of a newt is merely a succession of sensations, what should we mean by saying that God may recall to life the newt that died today? It would not recognise itself as the same newt; the pleasant sensations of any other newt that lived after its death would be just as much, or just as little, a recompense for its earthly sufferings (if any) as those of it’s resurrected - I was going to say ‘self’, but the whole point is that the newt probably has no self. Problem of Pain, Lewis

If, nevertheless, the strong conviction which we have of a real, though doubtless rudimentary, selfhood in the higher animals, and specially in those we tame, is not an illusion, their destiny demands a somewhat deeper consideration … Man was appointed by God to have dominion over the beasts, and everything a man does to an animal is either a lawful exercise, or a sacrilegious abuse, of an authority by Divine right. The tame animal is therefore, in the deepest sense, the only ‘natural’ animal - the only one we see occupying the place it was made to occupy, and it is on the tame animal that we must base all our doctrine of beasts. Now it will be seen that, in so far as the tame animal has a real self or personality, it owes this almost entirely to its master. The Problem of Pain, Lewis

(Nic Shoffner) #6

I am a dog-lover myself and have had many wonderful pets that I would love to see again. That said, I believe that we sometimes allow our pets to become idols in our lives. We rely on them to comfort us when we’re sad and calm us when we’re angry when all the time we should be turning to God.

I would never to claim to know what God will do on this issue but I have a hunch we will not have pets in heaven. But I also know that, no matter what, we will never be disappointed to be there.

(Dan) #7

I enjoyed reading your answer, and can you give me the biblical foundation, references, and theology for them? Thank you