Philemon 1 to 5

If we read the book of philemon verses 1 to 5 we see great correlation with all of Paul’s letters. In verses 5 specifically would Pile on not realise that Paul to Colossians 1.4 and just put his name it it. As a faithful servant would he not know the word and be angry that Paul was recycling compliments rather than being sincere.d

1 Like

@Michael_Ryan In the Anglican tradition they do something called passing the peace. During a specific time of the service, you greet one another with the words “The peace of Christ be with you”. The greeting is the same for everyone—the words do not change. And yet the expression is still meaningful for each person to whom you pass the peace.

Likewise, we pray the Lord’s prayer in Church. Does it become less meaningful simply because we repeat it?

Repetition of a phrase does not imply a lack of sincerity or heart. While rote repetition can be empty, repetition is not necessarily empty.

3 Likes

Fair enough I guess. I just think people value the Time it takes to write something unique and personal but I am stretching her because the whole book is written to philemon

1 Like

@Michael_Ryan In addition to the point I made above and the cultural difference between ancient times and today, I think it’s also important to keep in mind there are also different types of letters that we write for different people. A letter we write to a dear friend sharing our life, a letter we write to our spouse, a letter we write to a coworker about a legal matter, and a letter we write exhorting a Church member to do what is right in the Lord are all going to look very different.

While our significant other may care a great deal about uniqueness in the letter (and even that depends on the person - for example, we may both really like a poem that we quote in part in each letter, in which case repetition is romantic rather than negative), a Church letter may contain common phrases—like God bless you, God be with you, Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus, etc.

1 Like