Philip Lewis

Hi, I’m Philip. My wife and I live south of Manchester in the north west of England. I was totally inspired when I first heard Michael Ramsden speak at a Bible week in 2003. It was the first time I had heard anyone use both their intellect and their faith in Jesus with equal power and enthusiasm. Since then I have done a variety of training courses in the UK with RZIM and the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics (OCCA) including a Diploma in Biblical Theology and Apologetics at Oxford University, which was so wonderfully encouraging, as well as being hard work. My wife and I then started an apologetics training group with others who had also trained with RZIM/OCCA and more recently have enjoyed the systematic teaching offered by the RZIM Academy. This has all had a profound effect on me in providing me with a more sure and secure basis for defending my faith in the Gospel. I have ceased ducking difficult questions and become bolder in taking about Jesus. I found the Academy blogs difficult at first but gradually felt that I began to make encouraging working and challenging interactions with other participants.
Following this I was invited to join Connect and look forward to the opportunity to interact with others as we face the challenges of reaching and living in a lost society. I hope to learn as well as encourage and, with the Holy Spirit’s inspiration, to search out a deeper and more effective understanding of God’s ways for us, to learn to love Him with all my mind as well as soul and strength and to be an encouragement and a provocation to others seeking to follow Jesus.

8 Likes

Hello, @PhilipL, and welcome to Connect! It’s great to hear how deeply you have studied God’s word and welcomed others into studying it with you. I hope you jump into conversations here, so we can glean your knowledge. :smiley:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @PhilipL. What a blessing to have you join. Your background and experiences will be very helpful to many here. I hope you enjoy the interactions here as you might have been the Academy. Your enthusiasm is also appreciated. God-bless you and your journey.

3 Likes

Wow, what an inspiring introduction, welcome @PhilipL. I trust you will be a blessing to many here :pray:t3: I look forward to reading more from you as you engage In the conversations :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@PhilipL! Hello from a fellow OCCA alum (2015/16), and welcome to Connect! We’re glad you’ve joined us, and I look forward to learning with and from you on the forum. :slight_smile: Does your apologetics training group have a name? That’s really exciting that God has called you to that work up there!

2 Likes

Welcome, @PhilipL! Like @KMac, I, too, am an OCCA alum (2018/19). It is encouraging to hear that you started an Apologetics group in your city. I have been considering doing the same thing in my city since I have just returned. I would love to hear more about how this endeavor is going.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Kathleen. Our apologetics training group was called “Apologetics in Manchester”. You can find some of the subjects we covered on http://manchesterapologetics.weebly.com/materials.html together with some of our presentations. Sadly we stopped because some of the team were busy with other demands although my wife and I are hoping to find a way of reinitiating what we were doing in a fresh way. We used to meet 3 times a term at the start and run an annual conference. It was wonderful for us to study for these events and we have no doubt it encouraged others to get involved in apologetic endeavours.

3 Likes

Thank you, Brittany, for your kind welcome. I look forward to some encouraging interactions.

3 Likes

Thank you Keldon. I hope that our interactions will be “man sharpening man as iron sharpens iron” to God’s glory and all of our mutual encouragement.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Sig.

1 Like

Thank you. http://manchesterapologetics.weebly.com/materials.html still shows some of what we used to do. I am not promoting the group (as instructed to avoid) since we are on hold at present, but it was a wonderful thing to work on. Every blessing.

3 Likes

Thanks Joshua. We are not running the group at present as some of the team pulled out due to other commitments. Initially we ran 3 meetings every 3 month term and later less frequently but also ran some annual apologetics conferences. Our group started as 6 of us all of whom had trained with RZIM/OCCA (the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics) and then just 4. We ran from 10 am till noon (prompt) on Saturday mornings in a café style setting with doughnuts and coffee at the start and at the halfway point. We opened with a song and had an apologetics bookstall. The mornings attracted varying numbers from 15 to 60, probably three quarters were men including many academics and also some church leaders. Some thought we were too academic for them, many loved the sessions and kept coming back for more
You can find our materials on http://manchesterapologetics.weebly.com/materials.html

4 Likes