Philippians 2: 15-16

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Jennifer_Wilkinson @David_Cieszynski @joyce_yung @JasonWalker @Michele_Schuman

Dear Fellow Servants of Jesus
I just got home late last night from a bike trip. It’s really something how often you come to mind. I went with two siblings who are not believers - in fact, they are somewhat antagonistic to Christianity so I found my treasure in handcycling along and reviewing the scripture that I’ve memorized. It’s great to have it as if you are pulling out your Bible and reading it while biking or driving.I do hope the memorization is going well for you. I encourage you to keep retaining what you disciplined yourself to learn.

Please also try to post something you see or question. As I biked with my siblings, your comments Joyce, regarding counting others better than yourself, was really helpful and it has begun to sway my opinion on it. Our posts should encourage, yet challenge each other. Remember, I’m not the boss here, just the moderator.

David, I will get back to you shortly regarding your question about verse 14. Does anyone else have any thoughts to his question or to my question on verse 12. Really, whether we agree or not is not the issue but to challenge each other. To my understanding, there is no one who is infallible in our group!

Here is the meat for the week ahead:

Philippians 2:15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
Philippians 2:16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. (ESV)

Philippians 2:15 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky
Philippians 2:16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. (NIV)

Philippians 2: 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
Philippians 2:16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. (NKJV)

As David alluded to in his question, it is nice to compare the translations. Again, I use the RSV as I started with that version many years ago and it is similar to the ESV but I am posting the versions that I think everyone is using. If you are using a version not posted, let me know and I’d be happy to add that one to the others.

Scripture is not magic as Jesus chided the Pharisees for knowing it in and out but not living it. May Jesus convict us if we are ever memorizing it but not living it. That’s why I am so interested in how you translate some of Paul’s strong admonitions.