Philippians 2: 23-24

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @David_Cieszynski @kelelek @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @joyce_yung @Keldon_Scott @JasonWalker @Michele_Schuman

Dear All,
I wish I could hear from literally each of you to know how you are doing at this point. I also wonder how you feel about memorizing these upcoming verses that deal with Paul’s relationship with Timothy and Epaphroditus. They are ones not often quoted like our earlier ones. I would really be interested if the desire is or is not there to learn these because of their content. Could I ask you a big favor? Could each of you respond so that we all hear what each of us is thinking? I know that it is a lot to ask but I, and probably others, would love hearing from you. Included in that would be how the chapter has gone for you as well.

Do you realize that I will only be posting three more times and Philippians will be completed? Way to go! But before you get too comfortable, I have to ask - would anyone want to continue with another chapter and if so, which one? Of course, I’m assuming a break before proceeding forward. Maybe this dimension you could address in the feedback that I requested above.

To tell you the truth, I have very much appreciated Paul dealing with Timothy as it puts flesh on the verses above. They all look only to their interests but not Timothy which follows verse 4 discussing that subject. Serving with others is also so vital to Paul as he expresses his desire to the Philippians that they be encouraged by developments in their lives and conversely that Paul is encouraged by news of them as well. To me, it’s a living picture of fellowship and its importance.

Without further adieu, here are this week’s verses:

Philippians 2: 23 I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me.
Philippians 2: 24 And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon. (NIV)

Philippians 2: 23 I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me,
Philippians 2: 24 and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also. (ESV)

Philippians 2: 23 Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me.
Philippians 2: 24 But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly.

Jesus is with you on this journey.

(Tim Ramey) #2

@Michele_Schuman @JasonWalker @Jennifer_Wilkinson @kelelek @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @joyce_yung @Keldon_Scott @David_Cieszynski

The last thing that I want to be is a nuisance but could each of you give me your feedback in relation to the questions on my post above? I’m not sure where I stand so your input is very important to me. Thanks so much!

(David Cieszynski) #3

Hi Tim, your not a nuisance. I personally would like 2 Timothy as in my opinion is full of leadership wisdom and maybe useful for those of us in a leadership ministry. I am willing to proceed with which text you feel called to do next.

(Michele Schuman) #4

Hi All!
I think my perseverance in memorizing has to do with wanting to complete the task we started. As Tim mentioned, it is helpful to see how these last verses tie into the beginning as we see Paul’s instructions lived out by Timothy.

I have no preference for the next chapter so David’s suggestion of 2 Timothy would be fine with me. I am open to the group’s suggestions.
Michele

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Michele_Schuman and @David_Cieszynski thanks for your comments as you both hit on an issue. Michele, thanks for your input on the goal to complete the task. I am the same way but can’t believe how much I have appreciated what Paul urges us in earlier is manifested in actual lives. It reminds me of how we can talk big but to live it is another thing.

David and Michele, thank you for your suggestion as to what you’d like to memorize next. I’m open to II Timothy but what do all of you others think?

Also, are you glad that you’ve memorized Philippians 2? (almost!) Or have you not been memorizing or have been unable to keep up but it’s too hard for you to tell us? I cherish your feedback so much. For those of us that this applies to, how has your retention of Romans 8 been going? Do any of you get light on a verse that you memorized weeks ago? I’m blessed by how frequently something hits me between the eyes. I was concluding reciting Romans 8 and was at all of the areas that cannot separate from the love of God when the final words were underscored to me - “in Christ Jesus our Lord.” We are conquerors with nothing to hold us back in Christ Jesus alone. By His authority and in His Name, nothing in our lives today can separate us from Him. Thank you Lord!

Again - a heartfelt thanks to you Michele and David? Could we hear what the rest of our group is thinking?

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #6

I’m happy with whatever the group wants. I like finishing projects once I start them, and I love the way the second half of Philippians 2 illustrates what Paul was teaching in the first half. However, I’ve memorized this chapter before, so it’s been fairly smooth going, and I’d rather you do what you think is best for the group. II Timothy would be great or anything else as long as it’s not I Chronicles 1-9.

(Tim Ramey) #7

@Jennifer_Wilkinson

Jennifer, I’m not trying to be officially gracious but it was so encouraging to get this post as it echoes my sentiments. I cannot get over how much I have appreciated Paul’s mention of Timothy and how it puts flesh on the earlier verses, like you had said. It says so much to me. I thought that I would memorize the verses just to complete the chapter but those verses have meant a lot to me.

Also, you must have been looking over my shoulder as I read through the Bible at night and I found myself grinding through the chapters that you just mentioned. Even chapter 26 has some verses that you may want to memorize:
1Ch 26:17 On the east there were six each day, on the north four each day, on the south four each day, as well as two and two at the storehouse;
1Ch 26:18 and for the parbar on the west there were four at the road and two at the parbar.

I don’t want to be facetious about God’s Word so I’ll redeem myself by finding a gem through some of these grueling chapters:
1Ch 29:11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.
1Ch 29:12 Both riches and honor come from thee, and thou rulest over all. In thy hand are power and might; and in thy hand it is to make great and to give strength to all.
1Ch 29:13 And now we thank thee, our God, and praise thy glorious name.

Sorry for the long reply, Jennifer!

(Tim Ramey) #8

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @David_Cieszynski @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @kelelek @JasonWalker

Before it is ready to post again in a matter of days, it’d be so good to have each of you address the questions that I raised on the first post of this thread. Jennifer, David and Michele, thank you so much for your feedback. To everyone else, there are no right answers - this is one time there are no absolutes! I just want to hear how each of you are faring and what your plans ahead are.

Before Connect was created, I was in 2 core modules where a group of us maintained interaction. In that mode, we had to share our emails with each other in order to proceed. We ended up merging both groups into one. The group was close so that questions and discussions were more than just relegated to Q&A’s but there was a caring concern for one another. I’m still in touch with some from the “old days.” So I see this as not a lifelong commitment but while we are together, a time of fellowshipping and sharing life and how memorization has been lifegiving in such-and-such ways or maybe a burden in ways as well.

My intention is not to make this something that you didn’t sign up for, but regardless of your view of it, I do feel genuinely a caring concern as to how all is going for each one of you. Some of you I have interacted with both here and in other areas so I “know” you more than just through @Name! I see the life in Jesus as relational and personal.

(David Cieszynski) #9

Evening Tim,

Even though I don’t regularly contribute to this group I do try and reflect on the verses. As I’ve mentioned before my short term memory is poor so trying to memorise whole chapters isn’t going to happen for me. But I do get encouragement reading the posts that people put up.

(Jason Walker) #10

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @David_Cieszynski @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @kelelek

As you know Tim, I am going through some challenging times with my marriage, family and finances. I have found memorizing these scriptures both comforting and empowering. I am finding in a gradual way, my faith, hope and strength rising. I never used to memorize verses on a regular basis until this era of my life and I feel closer to JESUS and JESUS’ purpose by doing it. My mind also feels more actualized because I do. I also feel that I am understanding more about the areas of the scriptures being memorized. These are some of the things I am observing.

(Tim Ramey) #11

@David_Cieszynski
I appreciate hearing from you. It’s good you feel the freedom to not memorize the chapter. How about the rest of you? Are you guys memorizing? David has mentioned some scripture that he would like to move to next. Any other chapters in mind? Any thoughts about whether you’d like to keep going? I’d really like to know what those of you who would like to move on and do memorize the chapter might have in mind. Please let us know. Thanks!

(Tim Ramey) #12

@JasonWalker
Wow Jason! I’d like to highlight that for the world to see the importance of memorizing God’s Word. His Word is NOT God but it is His Word so it does lighten our path. I’m so encouraged that Jesus has used it to bring you closer to him. I can vouch for that as well.

Today, I Skyped with a dear Filipino friend that I have in Mindanao and he was a bit downcast. I had memorized II Cor. 4 and as I was handcycling and reciting it, it was actually a prayer for him. I emailed him and asked if he would please read it and include his wife. I am ever so grateful for the scriptures. The Lord uses it to teach me more about Himself so when it is in me, it is especially precious.

Thanks Jason. I have been in prayer for you and I’m not just saying that.