Philippians 2: 29-30

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @JasonWalker @David_Cieszynski @Michele_Schuman

Dear Faithful Memorization Team,
You did it! You’re on the last week’s verses and you are home. Way to go. Maybe you are weary because I don’t get as much feedback as I did at the beginning but I trust that you are happy that you undertook this endeavor. I would encourage you to keep reviewing what you’ve already learned or else, if you are like me, it slips away quickly.

Keldon wants to jump back on and only Aradhana does not wish to continue. Aradhana, I will miss you as you have faithfully been there from the beginning. If you ever change your mind, please join us again. In fact, before we begin again, I will post a notice in the event that others would come along as well.

We now need to determine what we will memorize next and how long a break that we take until we begin the new chapter. A few of the recommendations have been a chapter in the Psalms, IITimothy 2, Phillipians 4, and IICorinthians 2. There may be more but am not aware of them. Could you read over the possibilities listed and give me your input? Also, tell me when you want to start up again.

Here is the conclusion of Philippians 2:

Philippians 2: 29 So then, welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor people like him,
Philippians 2: 30 because he almost died for the work of Christ. He risked his life to make up for the help you yourselves could not give me.(NIV)

Philippians 2: 29 So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men,
Philippians 2: 30 for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me. (ESV)

Philippians 2:29 Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness, and hold such men in esteem;
Philippians 2:30 because for the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service toward me. (NKJV)

Blessings on your last leg!

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Tim, great work leading the charge!!

(Jason Walker) #3

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @JasonWalker @David_Cieszynski @Michele_Schuman
@CarsonWeitnauer

Tim thank you for leading us in this! This weekly activity is so important in our walk and growth. Thank you
I vote for IICorinthians 2. I also think we should start as soon as possible. I am ready for us to start Saturday coming.

(Michele Schuman) #4

I would like to start right away also. I think I would prefer 2Timothy2.
Thanks

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Michele_Schuman @JasonWalker @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @joyce_yung @David_Cieszynski @Jennifer_Wilkinson

OK all, the votes are coming in. If we keep right on going, as is the consensus with Michele and Jason, we’d need to decide which chapter in a few days. Could the rest of you write what your wishes are?

(David Cieszynski) #6

Thanks Tim, for doing this. I need to be doing stuff like this as with life at the moment it’s something which makes me want to read and study.

Looking forward to the next installment.

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #7

I’ll be happy with any of the options for our next chapter. Thanks for organizing this!

(joyce yung) #8

A chapter in psalm maybe ?

JY

(Tim Ramey) #9

@JasonWalker @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @David_Cieszynski @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Dear Precious Team
It is odd for me not to be posting a scripture today but how do you want to proceed? From the ones that we heard from, it was desired to keeping moving without a break. However, the chapter must be determined first. Specifically what was mentioned was 2Cor 2, 2Tim 2, or a Psalm and I never listed 1Cor 2. What should we do? Can you appreciate the wonderful but awkward place that I am in? It’s wonderful choosing which chapter of God’s Word yet which one? I’ve even included Aradhana in this mix as I feel that she is a valuable asset to the team and she may have a thought. (By the way Aradhana, please let me know if you’d like to receive the posts even though you are taking a break.)

I do not wish to alienate anyone yet choosing a chapter may involve a struggle to come to a conclusion and waste valuable time. Thus, let me throw this out and please, please please, it’s imperative that I get your feedback . I propose this: How about if we do one that has not been mentioned and then decide as we move forward, to tack down the one that will follow for anyone who wants to continue?

I have found that it often is advantageous, not only to learn a whole chapter but consecutive chapters. I have personally done that with 3 books. Someday, way down the line, I would propose that we memorize a whole short book. No, I’m not proposing learning the book of Psalms, at least not first!

So, for the sake of not drifting, would we lose any of you, save Aradhana who is off for a little while, if we did Philippians 3 next? That way we are not ignoring some in favor of others and while we learned the chapter, we would be ready to go for the next chapter, complete with having decided if there would be a break in-between and for how long?

I would like to post the first two verses of a chapter next Saturday. Let’s set the deadline of Wednesday of this week to make a decision so that we are ready to go by next Saturday. What I’ve done is to offer a specific idea so as to have something definite to respond to. If we decide another chapter, it is immaterial. I just want to keep moving. So let me know your thoughts…

I would also love hearing any final thoughts, questions or comments about any or all of Philippians 2.

(joyce yung) #10

Thank you

My life is getting back to a routine and will be ready to dive back into memorizing scripture.

Thanks

JY

(Jason Walker) #11

@JasonWalker @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @David_Cieszynski @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

I am definitely fine with continuing in Philippians and completing the books. Thank you for being faithful @Tim_Ramey

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #12

Philippians 3 is great with me.

(Tim Ramey) #13

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @joyce_yung @David_Cieszynski @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Thanks for responding Jennifer, Jason and Joyce. Your input is so helpful. I wish I could have given you an extra “like” Joyce when you wrote that you just want to “dive back into memorizing scripture.” It was such a lift to read that.

So thus far we have heard from 2 JW’s and even a JY! All three are “yahs.” Any “nays?” Please let me know what you are thinking before Wednesday if you have any other ideas. Or even a confirmation from you would help as I would so love to keep everyone on board.

Today at church, a woman who is in a small group with us who I encouraged to memorize, did just that. Our pastor was speaking on 1Corinithians 5 and she recited it with real enthusiasm that was not showy but made the Word come alive. I wish you could have witnessed it. But get this, she learned the whole chapter yesterday! Yesterday! Can you believe it? Obviously, she is gifted that way!!!

I feel that memorizing together creates a real bond with all of you. Thanks!

(Jason Walker) #14

Amazing!

(Kelly) #15

I’m good with continuing in Phil 3.

(David Cieszynski) #16

I’m happy to conitue, in these situations just go with your insitinct as I believe whichever book / chapter we do next God will bless us.

(Tim Ramey) #17

@Keldon_Scott @kelelek @David_Cieszynski @JasonWalker @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

OK, it is Wednesday and so far there is no one opposing the proposal to launch into Philippians 3 on Saturday. My heart really wants all of our best so if there are other insights or opinions, please keep them coming. I am truly only your servant and not your master. To facilitate this is all I mean to do. When there was a roadblock that could ultimately keep us sidelined, I offered this chapter to keep us moving.

Aradhana, do you want to keep posted as if you were memorizing with us or would you prefer not to?

Finally, I have a question on Philippians 2. Does anyone know what illness Epaphroditus might have had? I tried to find out and I could not find a thing. Also, did he risk his life because he came while being so ill or was it because bringing the monetary gift to Paul could have resulted in his being killed? He sure epitomizes what Paul talked about in the earlier verses of the chapter.

If anyone has thoughts on my questions, your input would be appreciated.

(Jason Walker) #18

@Keldon_Scott @kelelek @David_Cieszynski @JasonWalker @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Yes! Let us get into Philippians 3

(Michele Schuman) #19

My son recently preached on this passage. It is thought that Epaphroditus got sick on the way to Paul bringing him the gift from the church mentioned in chapter 4. Paul needed the gift to survive in prison. He didn’t leave in danger since the church was surprised to hear he was sick.

(Tim Ramey) #20

@Michele_Schuman
Thanks for responding Michele. What you might ask your son is if there are any theories as to what Epaphroditus kind of sickness was that he nearly died from it. I had heard that, as well that he was ill on the way but he continued, risking his life. Because he was so ill that he was near death, I figured that there would be more speculation from commentators about what he had that was so serious.