Philippians 2:5-6

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@JasonWalker @Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman @kelelek @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @David_Cieszynski

Happy Saturday! It’s that time again. i hope all of you are keeping up. Again, for those in Romans 8 together, do not lose it but retain it. I am still struggling with 2 chapters that I had memorized when we had our break from Romans and I went off for a month and am struggling to retain it. You have to keep reviewing what you learned, or if you are like me, it slips away easily.

I’m wondering if anyone has a response to my question last week where I asked, “In looking ahead, I have a question that maybe will become more clearer as it is gone over repeatedly in learning the passage but it has to do with verse 3. If I m conceited, thinking I’m better that you, how do I just turn off such a notion and now I think of you better than me?” Any input? I have a thought but I don’t want to dominate so I’d love hearing from you.

We’re off to the new verses. I’m sorry that I had to cut it off before the sentence was complete but the idea is communicated and if we always waited until Paul was through with his sentences, we might need to learn a lot of verses on a given week! Here are the next two verses. And, oh by the way, if anyone has memorizing tips that works for them, we’d all appreciate hearing from you. Here we go:

Phlippians 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
Philippians 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, (ESV)

Philippians 2:5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Philippians 2:6 Who, being in very nature did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; (NIV)

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
Philippians 2:6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, (NKJV)

Each translation is quite varied this week.

The Lord is blessing you. May we all remember that.

(Michele Schuman) #2

Hi!
God has been working on my pride. Along with Phil 2:3 there have been recent sermons that have helped me. I am working on focusing on my position in Christ and also trusting God to handle the other person. I would say I am now able to consider myself equal to difficult people and I am still working on having the correct humble position of considering them more significant than myself. God has been amazingly patient with me! Meditating on this verse is helping.
Have a great weekend everyone!

(Tim Ramey) #3

@Michele_Schuman
Michele, thank you for your transparency and input. Pride was the issue that the Lord used to bring me to Himself. It’s a long story so I’ll spare you from it. However, I think that it is an area that the Lord refines and deals with all of our lives.

In relation to that and giving an answer to my question, I do feel that if we do as the Lord directs, we do become like we confess. In other words, if He tells me to think of better than myself, as I do that, there naturally comes the reality of that attitude and it becomes ours. That is why memorizing His Word is so valuable for me because as I speak His Truth into my life, He makes changes in that direction.

(joyce yung) #4

I have a question. What does it really really mean by value others above yourself? What is to value others equal to yourself or below yourself?

I serve in many volunteer leadership positions, one person in particular that he loves to volunteer himself out but keeping his promises is not very important to him. This behavior does cost me a lot of headaches. His logic is faulty most of the time and he likes to bully and personal attack you with everything he got. I have to admit, I either ignore him or call him out and end up in a heat discussion.

Help me out here team, what practical ways to value him above myself ? Actually, what does that really mean?

By the way, my calling is in politics and Philippians 2:6 is a great reminder to me.

Who, being in very nature did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

Getting connected is kind of the norm in politics, I need to be mindful not thinking I know this person so that I have better chance to get to my goals. I need to follow God’s lead not most of the time but all the time.

Have a blessed Memorial Day

JY

(Tim Ramey) #5

@joyce_yung
Joyce, I think your question is an excellent one and one that I was attempting to understand. I so appreciate it as it exhibits your heart that desires to seek truth. I would so love to hear what others would have to say but I’ll add what I get from it, as incomplete as to what the verse is actually saying, I’m sure.

First off, I feel that it is a dangerous verse because it could evoke false humility. We say they are better than me but in my heart I know that I am better. It needs to be something that it is an attitude of the heart. However, I feel that our natural inclination is to see others faults, such as you mentioned Joyce, and we conclude that we are actually better than them.

I looked up the word “better” and it seems to be just that - not equal or below but better. How can that be when we see that bullying is terrible and we wouldn’t do that? I thought so much about this and here is what I conclude.

When I was convicted of sin, I realized that the Lord doesn’t grade them. Sin is sin. However, when I consider what I was saved from, I feel that Paul was wrong to call himself the foremost of sinners because I am. Oh, that is a very nice, humble thing to say but I’m not mouthing it, I feel that way. If you knew my past you’d say that I was a good guy. In fact, I had a conversation with a Christian that while we worked together, he told of how he once was into drugs, selling them to children, theft and atrocities that I never committed. He concluded by stating, “Wasn’t I just terrible?” My reply was that he certainly was but I was actually worse because I thought myself good and in no need of a Savior but, in fact, we were both sinners - he just knew it and I didn’t. So I was worse as it was more miraculous that the Lord got hold of me than him.

So as we realize what we were saved from, it is a first hand reality. Sure everyone lies, but I know how wickedly deceptive my heart was. So Joyce, you committed sins I never did and some that I did but as I consider you, I say that we are on an equal plane because are both sinners. But I don’t know your sins but I know mine that make my skin crawl. They say that at the last judgement, our lives will be televised for all to see. I sure hope not as I don’t want everyone to see what was the real motive of my heart, how deceptive I really was, how pride dictated much of me, etc. Your biography will be shown right after mine but, truly I believe, your video will not be as alarming as mine. Yes, you sinned and that is separation from God, but my life will be worse, because I’m the only one who really knows me and my motives. I know you have sinned but I really don’t know inside your life.

Sorry for this book, but back to the bully. His actions disgust you and they should. He’s a jerk! But he isn’t looking to Jesus for His feeling of inferiority so he has to protect himself. You’ll see him, Hitler, the serial killer all around you. Terrible! Evil! But if you see them when Jesus gets hold of their hearts, you begin to realize that in Jesus, how, when their hearts changed, the courage they took, the generosity they displayed is amazing. Zacchaeus was a terrible sinner. But he hopped down from the tree and he shames me as how he responds - not just paying people back those he over billed but doubling and quadrupling payments back to them. Gee, I would just pay them back - maybe with a little extra. Suddenly this terrible guy, well, he’s better than me. He did it in a more godly way. But I was not Zacchaeus, I was just looking from the outside in.

We like to see others err because it shows that we are superior. But if we deal with our pride, we see people with such appreciation, we don’t consciously say, “They are better than me” but we see Jesus in them and there rises a deep heart for them that we forget ourselves and see Jesus. They are better than us left to ourselves. For we can do nothing good apart from him.

When you see the bully being taken ahold of by Jesus, you’ll forget about you and praise Jesus for His transforming work. We know what we are like apart from Jesus.

I said a lot but I don’t know if I made sense. If you don’t get it, I’m not embarrassed but fire away and I will try to do better!

(joyce yung) #6

Tim

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you say.

Just to clarify, to see all other nonbelievers better than myself is to imagine how they would become when God got a hold of them. My follow up question is how do you deal with the present situation? I wouldn’t try to humiliate him or harm him but what does it means by value him better than me?

If we were both Christians, that would be a much worse devastated situation I think.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #7

@joyce_yung
Joyce, when I read what you wrote, I thought of II Cor 5:2Co 5:14-17 “For the love of Christ controls us, because we are convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died. And he died for all, that those who live might live no longer for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once regarded Christ from a human point of view, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come.”

So yes, the way I interpret that, especially vs16 is that we view people through the lenses of what they COULD be if they would believe what Jesus’ death has paid for. We don’t view the bully unrealistically, but if he takes hold of Christ, as in vs 17 that speaks of what he could be as a new creation. I don’t feel that the Lord wants us to deceive ourselves and see something that is not there but realize there we are too if He hadn’t made His death and resurrection real to us. So as the bully unnerves you, pray that he would be as Jesus had intended and it reminds you of how you can be thankful for there you are without your Savior, not as a bully but maybe even worse. It may involve you even talking to the bully about Jesus.

It would be be devastating if you were both Christians but situations like that can happen. It’s why, as Christians we look at Jesus because any Christian will ultimately disappoint us.

(joyce yung) #8

That is new knowledge to me. I will give it some serious thoughts. Thanks

It seems like it my situation requires a lot of self reminder that my life would be a lot worse than the other person without Chris and at the same time, a lot of imagination and role play in my head what the other person could or would become if he or she ever knows the lord. Something for me to think about. Thanks

JY

(Tim Ramey) #9

@joyce_yung
I really appreciate the opportunity to dialogue with you on this matter as it has caused me to dig deeper into the matter.

Please don’t consider me an authority but I did look up the meaning of “better” and where else it is used. Thank you for humbly considering what I posted and I’d sure be grateful to hear from others on the subject. I asked friends what they thought and I am surprised how ones either have no idea what it is saying or they are not comfortable with what it is saying. These folks are dear Christians but it sort of reminded me of what I read in Abdu Murray’s book “Saving Truth” where he contends that one avenue of post truth is that we make truth to fit our beliefs. I respect these believers more than to say that but it keeps me mindful that I need to read the Word and ask what it is saying rather than molding it into what I want it to say.