Philippians 2:7-8

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@joyce_yung @Michele_Schuman @JasonWalker @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @David_Cieszynski

Is the memorization going well? Aren’t these words so profound? They are so rich and deep. Some of you might want to comment on what Michele and Joyce raised by last week’s verses. There is also a thread going that is titled, “Counting others better than yourself” as Joyce and I jockeyed back and for on that and I wondered what others thought about who that verse applied to and what does it mean by the word “better” while considering the context of the verses that we learned and the ones this week and beyond.

I am so amazed at how, in retaining previous verses, they give me insights that I hadn’t seen. Once we get the words memorized, I feel that we can better concentrate on what the words are saying. Enough of my rambling, here are the new verses which completes the thought:

Philippians 2:7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Philippians 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (ESV)

Philippians 2:7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
Philippians 2:8 And being found in appearance as a man,he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross! (NIV)

Philippians 2: 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
Philippians 2:8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.(NKJV)

May the Lord give each of us, individually as He created us so differently, the determination and wisdom in memorizing the most important words in all of the world!

(David Cieszynski) #2

I’m struggling in remembering word for word, but my intention is try and remember the overall content / context.

(joyce yung) #3

David, it is all good. I like about Tim’s group is he just want us to do the best we can. He never asks us to tell him exactly how we are doing and I never volunteer the information. Hahahahah!!!

Anyway, I am doing much better this second time around. My last time with Romans 8 was horrible. Giving that I did not know I was suppose to retain what I have memorized the weeks before until three or four week into the game is not helping. It was all downhill from there. I stay in the game as I know it is good for me to try and remember the Bible verse with others. Anyway, you will do better than me as you do know the rule of the game from the start.

Have a blessed week.

Joyce Yung

(joyce yung) #4

By the way, Tim made the rule very clear but I was a little slow. I didn’t get it from the start. I can always blame on my poor English as I was born in China. English is not my first language :hugs:

JY

(Michele Schuman) #5

@David_Cieszynski I have to work hard to memorize but I feel that working at memorizing has many benefits. I have a better understanding of God’s Word and can recognize false teaching more quickly. When I read or hear verses I have worked on they bring a blessing. I have found God blesses me with his word even when I don’t remember a verse word for word. This time I am working on remember the context more which I think you would agree is important.

(Tim Ramey) #6

@David_Cieszynski @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung
I love this group and so appreciate your interaction. Joyce, your language is not a barrier enough to stop your humor and truthfulness to flood through. I do need to correct you - this is not Tim’s group - it’s ours. I just post the verses. I would be lost if I were by myself.

David and Michele, it’s good that we are all different because I literally learn it word by word. If I don’t, I lose it. Joyce and all, it is not my rule that you retain what you’ve learned but I wonder why you would go through the hardship of learning a chapter that you just let go. Just repeat it to yourself when you are waiting for someone or waiting in traffic or in a line. It’s so much easier to keep it than to learn it originally.

One last thing, can each of you say what you think is meant by “better?” (Verse 3)I think that the verses this week underscores its meaning. Just what Jesus did - He emptied Himself of everything for us. More later because, surprise, surprise - I have another question!!!

(Aradhana Priya Mehta) #7

I am thoroughly enjoying mediating and learning these verses. So much to learn, absorb and reflect on. I have been going back to these verses several times during the week through the sermon at church and bible study group. It is amazing and so profound.

(Tim Ramey) #8

@Aradhana_Priya_Mehta
Aradhana, it was a pleasant surprise to see your post because I was out biking and praying for the memorization team and you came to mind to write and let you know how much I appreciate you always being there and so upbeat. And then, there you are! Amazing!

I agree with you. These verses are so rich. Praise God for his faithfulness!

(joyce yung) #9

Amen to that.

JY