Philippians 2: 9-10

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@JasonWalker @joyce_yung @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @David_Cieszynski

Dear Ones Infused with the Word!
It’s that time again. Two new verses to learn but also two new opportunities to hear from Jesus. I do so appreciation the bantering we had last week. Even with disagreement it is challenging and far better than no one posting. So thank you and I apologize if I ever come across that my opinion is correct. I’m just trying to grow like all of you. For some reason, I seem to have a perception that not too many see the same way.

I do have another bomb to set off because I wonder about something we learned in the verses from last week. Here it is:

When we talk about Jesus emptying Himself of His form of God and trades in in for the likeness of man, I’ve wondered if Jesus, who is God, left His Godhood and came to earth and became man. Now He still was God but emptied Himself of it so that when He came to earth as a man, He would experience life like we do and not have His Godhood in His back pocket when the going got tough.

An analogy is like the prince and the pauper story. The prince became the pauper and was perceived to be so but in reality, he was truly the prince. So Jesus is truly God but was and still is often not perceived that way because He became the pauper so He would know life as man and not as God when He needed it or drifted from Godhood to manhood when it was needed. He exhibited the epitome of humility. So He is and always has been fully God and fully man but for those 33 years, He did not draw on His Godhood but emptied Himself of it though, in reality, He was still God but lived on earth as fully man. Am I way off? I really don’t mind when you disagree but like to hear your version.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to write an epistle. Here are the verses of the week. May you have the mind of Christ as you memorize:

Philippians 2:9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
Philippians 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, (ESV)

Philippians 2:9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
Philippians 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, (NIV)

Philippians 2:9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
Philippians 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,(NKJV)

(joyce yung) #2

Tim

Are you saying When Jesus emptying Himself of His form of God and trades in in for the likeness of man means that Jesus, who is God, left His Godhood and came to earth and became man?

I don’t follow this logic.

JY

(joyce yung) #3

My understanding of this was Jesus is always God and man the whole time when He was on earth. He shows out His God nature when he choose to. He didn’t leave His Godhood behind. He just doesn’t exercise all the time as if He was in heaven.

Maybe we are talking the same thing just using different sentences.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #4

@joyce_yung
My emphasis is that when Jesus walked the earth, He identified with our pain because though He was God, He left it behind, emptied Himself, or whatever the verse that you have says. I don’t feel like He popped back and forth from being man to God and back again. The reason I feel that this is so important because when we look at His life, He had no advantage over what we face. We can’t say, “Oh, He stilled the water” because He was God. Rather, He did so at the command of His Father. Our lives are that way in which we need to be obedient to the Holy Spirit. We don’t do such things because we lack faith, are imperfect etc but are meant to cast the mountain to the ocean if that is what we are told to do.

Again, the prince was a prince. But he desired to understand what a life as a pauper would be like so, though he actually was a prince, he didn’t have the princely advantages because he left it behind. Jesus didn’t come to see what it was like, so the analogy is poor but He did come to earth to die for us. So He was born of man and took on the form of man, choosing to become a servant, He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death. He felt beat up and forsaken by the Father.

Please understand that the whole time He was fully God and fully man, but I feel that the verses say that when He emptied Himself, He chose not to use His Godhood on earth. I think, again, we don’t agree.

I would ask what all think that these verses 6-8 mean?

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #5

I’m a little late to the game here. I just joined Connect last month. How does your Bible memorization thread work? Do we just declare that we’re going to memorize with you and then you tag us when you post new verses? If so, would you count me in?

(joyce yung) #6

Tim

I used the word “exercise “. By no mean I meant “He popped back and forth from being man to God and back again”

Tim. You are correct. We don’t agree again. But it is all good. Moving on.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #7

@Jennifer_Wilkinson
Jennifer, what we have done is had a group of us that memorized Romans 8. We took a little break and the consensus was to memorize the chapter Philippians 2. Every week I post 2 verses in order so we are doing Philippians 2:9-10 this week. On Saturday I’ll post the next 2 verses…

While memorizing, we do make comments on the verses as we feel so inclined. As you can read from the posts this week, we have a healthy discussion. I appreciate Joyce’s comments, where we don’t agree but we continue memorizing together and appreciate each other.

We hope you join us Jennifer as you would make 8 of us that are learning together. It’s a great group. Let us know what you think. Thanks so much for the post, Jennifer.

By the way, it is not my group but all of ours. I initiated it and post the verses from Saturday to Saturday but we are all in this together. Memorizing God’s Word has been such a blessing to me.

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #8

@Tim_Ramey, count me in! Thanks for getting this started.