Philippians 2

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @kelelek
I don’t mean to scare anyone but I’m just trying to get my ducks in a row. What I understand is that game plan calls for Philippians 2 to begin being memorized on April 2nd and we’d go through the 30 verses of that at 2 verses/week. After that and a break, which length we can decide at the time, we’ll do the 23 verses of Philippians 4.

Kelly had expressed interest and Aradhana had questioned whether she could proceed. Could both of you let us know what you decided to do before we start, which is 2 weeks from now? Keldon, I know you have a class and are busy too but are all of you gung-ho to go?

Shortly after we start, I will be going for a month to the Philippines. The time is 12 hours ahead of the States. The internet is a little unpredictable but I will attempt to faithfully post. I usually do on Saturdays but since we are beginning the day after Easter, maybe I would post on Mondays instead.

Does this sound right to you? I’m looking forward to memorizing God’s Word with you. If anyone reads this who wants to join, we’d love to have you.

(Keldon Scott) #2

Thanks for spearheading. I actually am pretty swamped with many pokers in the fire. I will attempt to stay with you all. But, as Tim indicates, and I think I am not alone, the Science elective is now in the 3rd week. I thought someone had indicated maybe starting this in May. If I had my druthers that is what I would do, but if you want to get at it in April, by all means. God bless you all.

(joyce yung) #3

I am good. Thanks

JY

(Kelly) #4

Hey Tim, I am both excited and terrified at the prospect of trying to memorize so much scripture LOL. This is not a strong area for me, but I’m going to go for it!!

(joyce yung) #5

I am with you there Kelly !!!

Joyce Yung

(Aradhana Priya Mehta) #6

I am sorry. I don’t think I would be able to join in learning Philippians from April onwards.

(Tim Ramey) #7

@kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @joyce_yung @Michele_Schuman
OK, dear friends. This is not my baby. It was Michele who suggested April 2nd. If we started in May, would you stay on Keldon? And could it possibly affect your decision Aradhana? Please Aradhana, I don’t want to give you the impression that we’ll aggressively hound you to join us. You have done as you signed up to do and that is very commendable. So I only ask if delaying Philippians would impact your decision or whether, regardless, you would not proceed with us?

Joyce, I sound like your father but I am so proud of you. You have really stuck with it. Good for you! And Kelly, I’m excited about having you join us as the combination memorization/prayer fellowship means so very much! (Your daughters name are the first words off of my lips virtually every morning. More on that in the prayer area!)

So please forgive me for bothering you but could you give me your input as to whether we start April 2nd or in May? I know what would influence my decision Keldon, is if you’d say with us if we wait. Please let me know as it is not my sole decision. I’m trying to accommodate the group. I will leave on April 4th for the Philippines until May 8th but I’ll memorize there too. So HELP! Please advise me!!

One final word. I cannot emphasize enough, regardless of when we dive into Philippians, keep reviewing Romans 8. You can’t repeat it enough. Not only will it be retained more deeply, but those precious Words will change you and the way that you think. The Holy Spirit will use the chapter so often in your life!

(Aradhana Priya Mehta) #8

If we start by May, I could definitely join in! :slight_smile: Thank you for being so understanding and encouraging. Really appreciate it!!

(Tim Ramey) #9

@Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @joyce_yung @Michele_Schuman
Though I’m not in charge, can you give input to a decision I’d like to throw out?

If waiting until May with Philippians 2 means that we get to keep Aradhana and Keldon on the team, I’d vote that we wait but be prepared to hit it in May. What I’d suggest is that, in the meantime, maybe you want to learn a portion of a chapter that you’ve always wanted to. It’ll be harder to do because you’re on your own so more discipline is needed. Or maybe you want to “cheat” and begin getting familiar with Philippians 2.

Another idea I had was, in order to keep in touch in the meantime, we might want to share something that the Lord has really showed you from Romans 8 or some other scripture that you have memorized.

I’m not trying to throw my ideas around, but I guarantee that you never ever will regret having God’s Word in your heart. I’ve heard the excuse that “I’m not good at memorizing” but if I can do it, anyone can. I just have to review it often. As I have, I’ve realized how much time that I’ve wasted thinking about nothing.

Again, I don’t have the final say but please respond to my idea of holding off until May.

(Keldon Scott) #10

Once again thank you for your follow-through. I will be in either way so whatever you guys decide is fine with me. I think just make a decision and go with it. The decision will be the right one no matter which one you make

(Kelly) #11

Agree with Keldon. I’m flexible.

(Michele Schuman) #12

It sounds like we are all open to waiting until May to start Phil 2. I agree.
Michele

(Tim Ramey) #13

@Michele_Schuman @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @joyce_yung
OK team, let’s hit it in May. Thanks for being so diligent in responding. I sure look forward to my days ahead with each of you!

(joyce yung) #14

I am a professional student. The longer I can delay in studying, the better :hugs:

By the way, I have been a member of toastmasters for a long time (on and off) thought. I did complete couple education paths. Anyway, I have decided to practice my apologetic skill at toastmasters this time around. A lot of fun. I am waiting to be kicked out from toastmasters. You know what I mean. I am talking about about God. Haha.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #15

@joyce_yung
Joyce, you are really a character. I so appreciate your heart. Are really a Toastmaster? What do you actually do as a Toastmaster? Sorry for my ignorance! Also, are you taking classes now?

I’m so glad you are staying with us. You are an encouragement all of the time!

(joyce yung) #16

Well, for some reasons and only God knows why I have accumulated quite a few degrees and many professional certifications. When I think I have finally finished some study, I started another study because of some circumstances. For example, I am taking the Community Emergency Response Team CERT right now just because the Kennesaw citizen advisory committee that I chair is the sponsor of it for the city of Kennesaw where I live. I faint when I see blood so I really won’t be much help when disaster comes. But oh well!!!

Toastmasters international https://www.toastmasters.org/ is a worldwide speaking organization. You can google them online. Each group will name themselves toastmasters of something. My group is called toastmasters on the square. We meet once a week. The meeting usually include a couple speeches and table topics question. Everyone has something to do at the meeting or at least we try to. We clap a lot.

I have been following Ravi’s teaching for years. I only get to practice apologetics every now and then. It was so much fun. I think why not practice my apologetics skill with a group of captive audience. I also get my speech done at the same time. Killing two birds with one stone.

I alway admire people who can quote Bible verses from memory. I tried in the past to memorize some Bibles verses here and there. Nothing work. I really appreciate you Tim leading us to memorize scripture. I know I will definitely do better this time. Because I am going to start now haha. Kidding aside, I look forward to start Philippians 2 with all of you.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #17

@kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung
While you were learning Romans 8, I kept reviewing it but I also memorized IICor 4 and Colossians 3. I feel the freedom to say this in this group, as since we are all memorizing,so to speak of ones I just did learn does not seem to me that you’ll think I’m boasting. Rather, as I was biking today and reviewing various chapters, as I was going over Col 3, thought of you. Here’s the part that struck me:

Col 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful.
Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
Col 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I think that part hit me that we are to LET the peace of Christ rule in our hearts. In other words, the only way it won’t is if we stop it. But by letting it, it seems to say that it will just happen. Also, that applies to the Word of Christ as well - we are to let it dwell in us richly. It won’t be able to do so until we learn it and it is hidden in our hearts. And surrounding all of this is thanksgiving.

Today was my post day for the next 2 verses but I encourage you not to let the Word slip away but let it dwell in you richly! Aren’t we privileged?

(Tim Ramey) #18

@Keldon_Scott @kelelek @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @Michele_Schuman @joyce_yung
Hey all of you saints - You may have forgotten me but I have been behind you all along as I look forward to our next leg of the journey. I have been in the Philippines less than 2 weeks with about 3 to go. I love everything about being here - the work, people, climate - everything. I am glad that we held off on memorization as I’m doing Ephesians 2 while I am here and without my routines, it’s very difficult.

You are a blessing. I miss our weekly interactions. Thanks for the fellowship. We are so privileged to be connecting with believers. We’ll be hitting it in around 3 weeks.

(Tim Ramey) #19

@kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @joyce_yung
Ahhh - I finally got my computer back so I am free to interact! I am still in the Philippines. I probably am living in a somewhat unrealistic life as I am here only a month but being on my own has met with some real challenges. I was stuck in a small ditch and wished I could just stand up and push it forward. So close yet so far. But I love it here as I feel like I am at home. I just love the interaction with many of the young people who are the future pastors of their given tribes here in Mindanao. Anyway, my intention is not to go on about that.

When I thought about each of you I wondered if, with all of you but Kelly, that you might want to share a time in which Romans 8 came from the deep and spoke to you. Anyone? Often we hear 8:28 or the verses that deal with the fact that nothing can separate us from the Lord but I’m surprised how often I am reminded to think in the spirit and not in the flesh. So often my I find my mind thinking about me. So it is helpful in redirecting my mind.

I also am often reminded about suffering. “I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” Isn’t that alone a reason for rejoicing?

Also, are all of you still game to go to Philippians 2 in a few weeks? I sure hope so. It’s been so encouraging to interact with you. The Lord’s best to each of you - that’s not a prayer, it’s a fact!

(Michele Schuman) #20

Hi!
I’m sorry if I missed a post but has anyone started on Phil 2? I’ve started working on the first two verses.
Michele