Philippians 3: 13-14

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @JasonWalker @Jennifer_Wilkinson @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @David_Cieszynski @joyce_yung @Michele_Schuman

Dear Brothers & Sisters

How is the memorization going for each of you? Are you breathing heavily yet? I find that these verses are easier for me to memorize because they are more familiar. Do you find that to be the case? For some reason, I couldn’t sleep last night and I find it so handy to be able to review the chapters that I’ve learned. After reviewing them, I was still wide awake and I felt led to pray for you. In fact, I devised a plan for us to meet, pray and learn about each other, but I’ll maybe spring it on you another time.

Verses 10 & 11 are life verses for me. What really struck me this week was that we press on to understand these concepts and make them our own because Jesus has already made us His own. He already owns us- our names are in His book and so as we strive to understand all that we have in Jesus and even if we fail to ever fully understand it, we are already His. This life is just trying to grasp all that we have in Him. With all of the noise and hate in this world, there is a quiet place where we are in His arms - He already owns us. What a blessed place to be!

The following verses for the week ahead underscores what I mentioned above. I am so privileged to be in this with you. As I see it, we are more than memorizing the same verses. God’s Words are resonating the same Truths to each of us. We are all being taught the same truths at the same time which makes it a unique fellowship. I know that you have dropped out for the season @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta but you are still tied in with us. Thank you all for keeping up the good fight.

Philippians 3:13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead
Philippians 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

Philippians 3:13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Philippians 3:14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (ESV)

Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (NKJV)

May each of us see something differently because these verses will have given us new insights into God’s heavenly plan.

(joyce yung) #2

Thanks Tim

How is your recovering coming along. Continue to pray for your speed recovery.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #3

@Michele_Schuman @David_Cieszynski @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

OK dear memory kings and queens!
Remember that you are doing better than you realize! We only have just begun to memorize Philippians 3 but we are already OVER HALF WAY THROUGH IT!! Thus, we need to be be calling out what chapter you’d like to do next. It’d be nice to have a plan and after this chapter is completed, we can decide if we keep plowing or take a break or if you’ll keep going period.

Please don’t react just because of my mention to hear from you but if anyone ever has something they’d like to mention or ask, do so. I do want to ask you a question. The versions all have it slightly different but what does Paul mean when he states in verse 13 that he has not yet made it his own, counted himself to have apprehended it or consider that he has taken hold of it? What is it he hasn’t accomplished yet? What is the "it’ that he has not taken hold of?

(David Cieszynski) #4

Hi everyone, reading these verses remind of Lot fleeing and told not to look back. And that we may have made mistakes in the past, how we choose when going forward will ultimately determine the outcome.

Just my thoughts.

(Tim Ramey) #5

@David_Cieszynski
Great application. I would never had thought of that one!

You know, what we go through to win a prize and here is heavenly calling in Jesus. What a prize! Others become dust but not this one! I don’t think we fathom what a prize that this is!

(joyce yung) #6

This verse

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,

Is one of my favorite verses. I am a person leaning toward perfectionist type of personality. I put a high standard for myself at times. When the outcome didn’t match my expectations. The disappointment could be devastating. This verse has helped me to move on. Knowing I have done my very best to attempt to achieve the goal. Now God has chosen to close the door. Trusting God has a good reason. I pick myself up and keep moving toward the direction that He has set for me in the best of my understanding of what that direction is.

Cheers

JY

(Tim Ramey) #7

@joyce_yung
Joyce, this is the reason that I ask for feedback on our verses. Your application really spoke to me. I’m the same so it was a good reminder to do as the verse I’m learning is actually saying! It was also a wake up call to make sure that I don’t concentrate on memorizing the verse and not apply what it is saying to my life. Thanks so much Joyce. I’m sure glad that you decided to stay with us.