Philippians 3:15-16

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@joyce_yung @JasonWalker @Jennifer_Wilkinson @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman @David_Cieszynski @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Dear Students of God’s Word,

Who am I to be proud of you but I am. I’m not trying to sound like a Paul who states that he is proud of the Philippians because in the day of the Lord, he did not run in vain or labor in vain. But as a simple brother, I am so blessed to see dear Christians serious enough about God’s Scripture to incorporate it into their hearts. That’s why I feel ever close to you. I cannot adequately convey how dear you are to me. We are a close knit group with even some of us connecting in prayer. I have devoted most of my attention in Connect to memorization and prayer. I want to keep up with that and regarding the other threads, I can only offer an occasional post as there is so much discussed.

Having said the above, I am feeling bold enough today to put forth my hair brain idea that I was afraid to post last week. Here goes (Gulp!!!)

My wife and I have run a lodge on Lake Superior in northern Minnesota for 39 years. You can look it up at <naniboujou.com>. There you can see my family and I think, my 22 grandchildren. However, that is not the reason for having you peek at the site. My crazy idea is this. I will be in the Philippines all of April and until mid-May. How about from after Memorial weekend until, say June 10th, where we’d choose 2 or 3 days that we could be here together and put you up at our lodge - lodging and meals - for 2-3 nights, with you being responsible for getting here? At this point, we still have opening then. Some singles may have to room with another but have their own bed. We could pray, get to know each other while you could also hike and explore the area? It’s asking a lot of you, I know. But I am a visual person who really appreciates seeing who I am dealing with. It’s like talking to someone on the phone for a long time and then, some day, you actually meet them and they look and seem so different than you had pictured.

I’m not attempting to make us an exclusive group, but when we are memorizing the same verses and praying for each other, it is special. So to know that Kelly is praying for 2 of my children and that Joyce adds a comment on the scripture for the week that gives me a new outlook on that verse, I just want to get to know you more.

Let me add this before posting the week’s verses. I am involved in Connect but my wife Nancy is not. However, I talk to her about you and discuss comments etc. She is in agreement with meeting you etc. So my intention is purely for the glory of Jesus and not some strange “emotional adultery” attempt. I know, as I have been convicted of that before so I am on guard. But this would be to meet each other so that when we post, we know who we are dealing with. What do you think? Crazy? Impossible? Don’t want to? Let me know what you think. It’s far enough away to go back and forth with.

OK, on to the reason for the post. Here it is:

Philippians 3:15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.
Philippians 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained. (NIV)

Philippians 3:15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.
Philippians 3:16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

Philippians 3:15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.
Philippians 3: 16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind. (NKJV)

Just a comment on these verses; I was amazed in putting these 3 versions side-by-side, how much more wordy the NKJV is or verse 16. I’m also touched by the fact that it seems to say in verse 15 that if we are unclear in our thinking, God will make it clear to us. It seems that the way He does that best is if we are considering His Word rather than just having it leap out of nowhere.

Thus ends my “Epistle to the Connectors”.

(joyce yung) #2

I like this idea of getting together. However I am afraid that there would be a very small chance someone will suggest that we all recited the memorized chapter together from memory.

Just saying.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #3

@joyce_yung
Thanks for responding, Joyce. Does anyone else see it as a possibility - ie meeting together at our lodge as I posted above?

Joyce, no one will suggest reciting the chapter in unison. I’m certain that we’d all rather just hear you recite all of the chapters so far. Just imagine how that’d minister to us all!

(joyce yung) #4

haha very funny.

I just remember that I will be coming back from Hong Kong visiting my family around June 10. Still looking for a cheap ticket. I won’t be able to join you guys this time. Hopefully next time. I am an outdoor person and may take my two nieces with me to come and visit you and your family sometimes.

Thanks

Joyce Yung

(David Cieszynski) #5

Hi Tim, would like to, but I live in UK. If your ever in the North of England, I’d love to meet up with you guys.

Is there a possibility of trying to do a group Hangouts video call? Time zones could be an issue

(joyce yung) #6

Video hangout is a great idea.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #7

@joyce_yung @David_Cieszynski @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @Michele_Schuman

David & Joyce, thanks for your response. I’m not sure what a video hangout call is. Is it a real possibility? What does everyone think? If we called at 8am central time, wouldn’t that be about 3 in the afternoon in Ireland and about 9 at night in India or Hong Kong? I’m game if you all are.

I need to ask all of you something hat is weighing on my heart. When I post our memorization weekly, I often ask questions or make comments but get little feedback. It leaves me wondering if you don’t have the time to respond or possibly, is it even being read.So as i ask whether you’d like to come up to our place for a get-away, or what do you want to memorize next, or whether you agree or disagree on a comment pertaining to the verses and I get little response, it makes me wonder if the post is impertinent or is met with disinterest. Do you want me to make these posts or are they bothersome to you? Please give me your honest feedback because I don’t want to be a nuisance to you.

I’m grateful for this group and would love to stay connected but do you? Can you understand why I have the questions that I do?

(David Cieszynski) #8

Hi Tim,

I do read your posts and ponder your questions but don’t always have time to respond properly as I don’t want to do anything half-hearted or rushed, as that would be doing you an injustice.

(Kelly) #9

A video hang-out would be fun. Honestly, for me, just memorizing the verses is a big deal since I have never been very faithful about memorization. Really appreciate all the effort you put into the group. I keeps me moving forward! I’m game for working more at responding.

(joyce yung) #10

Tim

Like David. I do read your post and always thankful for your effort to lead and motivate us. I also wonder sometime if you will burn up eventually because the rest of the group doesn’t talk much. I myself included.

Even if you just post the two verses every week. I am grateful for you.

Maybe you can try just posting the two verses and save your opinion until later time.

Thanks

JY

(Keldon Scott) #11

Hey Tim. I like some of the other members of this group appreciate so much your efforts. I have not been as diligent as I had hoped to be regarding chapter 3. But, that doesn’t mean that I don’t read them as you post them. I do read your posts. I even had suggested coming to your place over the July 4th weekend when I was with my parents in Duluth, so it is on my mind. I don’t always have time to respond, and sometimes when one has not been as diligent with memorization response is not appropriate either. So carry on. Don’t worry so much about it. There is not one person that is in this group that isn’t appreciative of your efforts, your prayers, your care, and your commitment. Love everything that you are doing.

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #12

@Tim_Ramey, thank you for your incredible offer to host all of us. I wanted to respond sooner, but a dear missionary friend was visiting us last week, and I wasn’t online much. Due to my tight schedule and health problems, I doubt I can commit to anything, but a video chat could be fun.

I’m afraid I got distracted and haven’t kept up with Phil. 3 very well. I memorized this chapter a few times before, so I was coasting through the easier verses at the beginning as I memorized something in II Cor., but I’m committed to getting back at Phil. 3 now.

Thanks for keeping us at this!

(Tim Ramey) #13

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @joyce_yung @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @David_Cieszynski

I so appreciated hearing from most of you. Looking back, it almost appears that I sought accolades but I really wasn’t attempting to do so. I’m glad to make posts and raise sincere questions and comments but I didn’t want to be doing so if I were a bother or if it wasn’t deemed as being necessary.

I understand your busy schedules and I’d much prefer that you memorize your verses than posting. Thank you all so very much. I love and appreciate you all so very much!