Philippians 3:17-18

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Jennifer_Wilkinson @joyce_yung @JasonWalker @Michele_Schuman @David_Cieszynski @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Dear Brothers & Sisters,

You are cruising - now through verse 18. As I post the different versions, it is interesting seeing the variations. I use a different one than any of these. Regardless of the version that you memorize from, it might be interesting for you to at least read the other translations. I find that a version close to the one I use can almost confuse me but it is nice to read the differences before I memorize it.

Thank you again for your heartening replies. Please keep in mind that Philippians 3 is nearing completion so be sure to throw out other options to memorize next if you’d like to keep going.

I also would like to ask if any of you that are familiar with video hangouts would mind organizing it? Could you tell us what we need to do and be the go-to person? We could all then figure out a time and a day to “meet.” It sounds like a great idea. It seems like the next best thing to meeting in person, as gathering together does not appear as if it will fly. If any were in a close proximity, we could see if a few could pull it off. David and Aradhana seem like a stretch unless either of you came to the States. Or we could all meet in Ireland or India!

Here we go:

Philippians 3:17 Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do.
Philippians 3:18 For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.(NIV)

Philippians 3:17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.
Philippians 3:18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. (ESV)

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern
Philippians 3: 18 For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: (NKJV)

It has been so wonderful to have chapters hidden in my heart. Please remember to keep reviewing to maintain them.

(David Cieszynski) #2

Evening All,

Hangouts is similar to Skype not sure how the logistics though. For Saturday nights are best.

In relation to what to do next how about the next chapter? Or Collisions?

(Tim Ramey) #3

@David_Cieszynski @Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @joyce_yung @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

There’s a few tings I’d like to discuss.

First, would you like to get this Hangout solidified, David? Could we have you put it together? If so, who would want to participate? Count me in if we do it.

Also, do you still want to go forward with the rest of us Michele, Aradhana and Jason? I didn’t hear from you so just a yes or no would be fine. I know that you weren’t in on Philippians 3 Aradhana but did you want to go on to the next chapter that we do together?

Thanks for your recommendations for our next memorization David. You mentioned Colossians as a possibility. Which chapter? You also suggested Philippians 4 I’d like to throw in Romans 5 to the mix.

Regarding this issue, I will post 2 verses on November 5th and the final single verse on November 12th. Can I recommend that any chapters that you’d opt for, that you’d do so by November 10th? Then we could conclude which one we wanted after the 10th. Does that sound OK? Also, if one of you do not wish to go on, let me know or I’ll automatically include you as I heard from you already. Again, Aradhana, Jason and Michele, please let me know what you’d prefer.

Finally, I have a theological question. In regards to Philippians 3:12-13, what is the “it” that Paul describes? Once Paul says that he presses on to make it his own because Christ Jesus has made me His own. What is the “it” in that verse and the following?

(Kelly) #4

Just got around to reading this. This doesn’t really answer your question specifically, but when I read it with the word “it” in mind my thoughts went to… Wow, “it” is amazing and somewhat incomprehensible that the creator works in us! “It” is also comforting to know that He is working in us and “It” is He who will use us and empower us to work for His good pleasure. “It” is an honor and leaves me humbled since there is nothing within me that qualifies me for such a blessing. I guess that’s what “it” is to me when I read it. :smile:

(Michele Schuman) #5

Hi all!
I am interested in memorizing Phil 4 next and then all of Colossians.
WhatsApp allows 4 on a video call. I’ve used Google Hangouts and Skype with my family. Hangouts seems to work better but I think both have a limit in number of participants. There are commercial products I have used at work and have seen up to 10 participants. I can look into the specifics.
When so many are on the call there can be a lot of confusion. With hangouts, whomever is speaking gets the focus. If there is background noise, the focus jumps around and it is chaotic. It works well to have one person facilitate. Tim, you could welcome all and then call on each person to introduce themselves and in that way control who will have the focus. Everyone else would need to mute themselves while they listen.
I will try to get more details this week.

(David Cieszynski) #6

Hi Tim,

Hangouts I’ve used before during video calls, we would have to create a group chat and then agree a time to make the call. This would require people providing their mobile phone number though, I don’t think you can do it via email addresses. For me late Saturday evenings UK time is best, not sure how that works out for everyone else interested.